Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do I need a clear bra with the nano-coating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good evening.

I have posted a few things I am attempting to do to protect and care for my new MS. Pearl White. I live in Southern California and drive about 70 miles a day to and from work. I go on two freeways and one of them is near a gravel pit. There are a LOT of semi's the entire way. I am about the get the ceramic pro coating (5 coats) and a clear bra as well. I know they do a paint correction to the entire car, put on the clear bra, then put the ceramic pro over both. My questions are these:

1) Do I need the clear bra if I am getting the ceramic pro "gold" package (4 coats of ceramic pro and 1 coat of the light coating)? I ask this because I have heard that the clear bra is almost invisible but can be seen close up even with the coating over it. Will it protect the car that much more than the coating alone? Also, although not a big issue, the clear bra is $1,500, money I could spend on my MS in other places.

2) Has anyone had any problems with their clear bra either peeling, or discoloring? (I had one on my '06 infinity and it yellowed after a few years)

Any feedback would be appreciated. It is great to have a good knowledge base from which to draw from.

Clear bra really depends on the installer and quality of the film you go with. Coating alone won't protect your paint from rock chips and scratches. I just got my pearl white S in March, the first thing I did was bring it to my detailer and xpel the whole front end, side rocker and rear bumper, then ceramic coat on top. Now the only thing I have to worry about on long trips is my windshield and all glass roof.

Clear bra or wrap and sealant of any kind me at nano, other synthetic, ceramic or even wax protecting different ways. Clear bra absorbs impact from stones and road debris and scratches. Sealant protects against oxidation and leaves a shiny wet looking surface.

After 120,000 miles on my 2013 S, The only things that look the least bit worn are the Front end that has A bunch of scratches and chips from debris and a spot that has a 6 inch scratch from a backpack and an Earth Day show.

That said when I picked up my X in March, the first thing I did was drive it to the shop and have it fully wrapped. Expensive" Yes, but cheaper than paint, especially multicoat.

Reactions: sandpiper
I am similar situation. Wife drives between 70-80 4 days a week. This is our travel soccer/lacrosse car as well. Yes a dreaded gravel pit is nearby. I am doing whole expel. We keep our cars 7 years or more. So we don't want the pitted nose that we see on cars north of 100k at the 3 to 5 year mark. It is kind of sad when you see them knowing the price point of the car. It is almost like the owner has given up on the entire car just because front end looks like junk. It is going to be a change for us in caring for our cars. Beater Suburban filled with scratches and Subaru Outback with 400k combined miles are hitting the road......

Coatings that stop rock chips and shopping carts from going through paint. I have yet to see that. More or less I think coatings make it easier to wash quickly by hand via the couple bucket process in one's garage. Thus bypassing standard and crappy touchless washers that either scratch or are ineffective.

So I had a long talk with my brother in law. Always good right;) I was telling him about the EXPEL showing him some of the stories on various threads that I described before as rip your hair out moments, and how it saved the day. He said. Look your wife(his sister) is going to have at least one of those moments every year as careful as she is. I chimed in with probably 2 moments at least. XPEL could save a marriage or at least prevent some unkind words being said.:)

Interesting comment from installer before bringing car to him. Stay off the freeways and give yourself some distance between car in front of you. Really? Would prefer car getting dropped at his doorstep via car carrier. (No SC in MI)

Also some installers wrap everywhere possible, and some just computer cut and throw it on. You have to ask. Some installers want to push cars through on a unknowing customer saying wrapping the corners isn't needed or saying it would come off. Yes it takes extra time, but for what your paying I think it is worth a good Q&A with 3 to 4 installers.

Not sure yet on coating. I have heard all different thoughts about coating on top of EXPEL. Some swear, some say overkill and waste of money. If I am correct EXPEL has its own line of cleaning products for expel. Maybe just a spray touchup is needed??

Coatings and paint film are two different products used for two different reasons that are not mutually exclusive. Coatings will not protect your car from chips or scratches, that's what the film is for. Coatings are to keep particulates from adhering, to help prevent water spotting, and to help prevent MINOR scratches from washing the car etc.

For some cliff notes on the specific topic:
Coatings absolutely will not protect your paint from impacts on a measurable level that makes it a buying-point. Coatings work in a different way from paint protection film(clear bra).

Paint protection film should not discolor nor peel. If it does, your installer should address the concern. Most PPF's carry a 10 year manufacturer warranty to guard you against discoloration.

This article outlines the benefits of a coating, paint protection film as well as a coating over paint protection film. It also identifies the sources of typical damage to modern paint finishes on cars.
What Causes Swirl Marks and Other Defects in Modern car Paints?

While I do speak of Modesta coatings in the piece, you can insert your coating of choice into the context of this article. Though, I do not agree with the notion that multiple layers of a coating should be necessary to hit the mark for a private owner. A quality product requires no more than 1 layer to protect, ease maintenance, make paint lustrous and last many years with reasonable ongoing care. Multiple layers should be seen as opulent, not necessary. I offer a product line that can be layered using the same product over the base layer or different products over the base layer for additional benefits and it is very rare that someone pays for layering and when they do, they are seeking opulence... it just should not be necessary, in my own opinion. But we know what they say about opinions, lol. ;)

If you're in Fullerton, CA. you are a short drive from a few guys I would personally recommend you to that would lead you down the right path. Eric Schuster at www.enviousdetailing.com is the closest and Moe Mistry(he's a site sponsor) at www.GlisteningPerfection.com would be a little further. Both professionals are ethical and skilled craftsmen.

cutaway-with-text-SMALL-format-A-DDAS-Creation.jpg

Hi Adambirozy,

That sounds like a beautiful Model S! You are down the right path in getting your car protected, however, as others have mentioned ceramic coatings will not protect the paint from chips and rocks like film does. The coverage of the car is entirely up to you. We always recommend high impact areas, which includes the front bumper, full hood, fenders, mirrors, and usually the headlights. Since you drive a lot every day, we recommend getting the rocker panels and the rear quarter panels protected as well. As far as visibility of the film, the film is virtually invisible. In some cases, depending on the installer, they can wrap the edges. This process makes it look like the film is not even there.

XPEL ULTIMATE film has a 10 year warranty and covers yellowing, discoloration, peeling, cracking, and hazing.

If you have any other questions about of product or finding an installer, please feel free to reach out.