Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to change tyre

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the delivery today, on the first ride I hit the curb, I see there is a cut on the rear passenger tyre, Do I need to change the tyre?. Wow I didn't know that this is an issue with Tesla, I had similar running on curb before with accord, never had any issues.

Attachments

• PXL_20230101_002231402.jpg
    PXL_20230101_002231402.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 226
I had the exact same gash in my right front tire. I had Tesla change it. $400.00 installed. I believe any rips in the sidewall could be dangerous. Big Moe

I think it's easy to get carried away when we think about tires.

There's a pretty easy way to tell whether the tire's integrity has been compromised or not. Tires are made of rubber that encases nylon, kevlar, and steel cords, giving the tires their strength. Any kind of a gash or tear that doesn't expose the cords is perfectly safe. You can run the tire forever and it won't suffer any negative effects because the structural cords aren't impacted. But if the cords are exposed or damaged, the tire must be replaced.

The OP's tire doesn't appear to be showing any cords, so it's perfectly safe. It's not a close call, and replacing the tire would only make his wallet lighter.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Upvote 0

There's a pretty easy way to tell whether the tire's integrity has been compromised or not. Tires are made of rubber that encases nylon, kevlar, and steel cords, giving the tires their strength. Any kind of a gash or tear that doesn't expose the cords is perfectly safe. You can run the tire forever and it won't suffer any negative effects because the structural cords aren't impacted. But if the cords are exposed or damaged, the tire must be replaced.

The OP's tire doesn't appear to be showing any cords, so it's perfectly safe. It's not a close call, and replacing the tire would only make his wallet lighter.
Not sure I agree with this nor do I believe there are cords in the side walls in this area. The area damaged takes the most load when large bumps are hit. A blow out at high speed is Not something to assume.

Upvote 0
Not sure I agree with this nor do I believe there are cords in the side walls in this area. The area damaged takes the most load when large bumps are hit. A blow out at high speed is Not something to assume.

You don’t have to believe me. I was a commercial truck driver years ago, and I used to work at a tire shop before that.

There are a bunch of videos on how tires are made, and plenty of cross-section views as well. I bet your local tire store has one on the counter.

1672660360635.png

Upvote 0
I used to be active in Kia EV6 groups before I traded for my current Y. I thought of this thread when I saw this photo of a torn sidewall on an EV6 this morning.

You can see the cords feathering out through the gash in the sidewall. Those are what you're looking for whenever you see sidewall damage. This is quite obviously not repairable.

329013829_1285492225631629_1709481848472261114_n.jpg

Upvote 0
I used to be active in Kia EV6 groups before I traded for my current Y. I thought of this thread when I saw this photo of a torn sidewall on an EV6 this morning.

You can see the cords feathering out through the gash in the sidewall. Those are what you're looking for whenever you see sidewall damage. This is quite obviously not repairable.

View attachment 903556
that tire was curbed like crazy. That EV6 owner needs to re-learn how to drive properly.

Upvote 0
that tire was curbed like crazy. That EV6 owner needs to re-learn how to drive properly.

I suppose I do as well. I've curbed tires in the past, and I can't say that it won't happen again. I don't see what high-school level ridicule adds to the discussion, though.

The guy who posted it says that it failed while parked, which is a nice reminder that sidewall damage doesn't always cause an immediate failure. I'm sure he's glad it blew in the parking lot rather than going down the interstate.

Reactions: nate704
Upvote 0

I would recommend carrying a spare. I have one in each of my Teslas. Homepage
Modern Spare.com has a complete kit with the jack. I keep it in my trunk area, bungied down. I travel a lot and do not want to ever be stranded.

Upvote 0
I suppose I do as well. I've curbed tires in the past, and I can't say that it won't happen again. I don't see what high-school level ridicule adds to the discussion, though.

The guy who posted it says that it failed while parked, which is a nice reminder that sidewall damage doesn't always cause an immediate failure. I'm sure he's glad it blew in the parking lot rather than going down the interstate.
I hadn't had a blowout in 44 years of driving 'til this past June on a CTS rental in NY. It had run flats and "BOOM!" - sounded like a gun went off by the driver's window (left front). Didn't notice any tire damage on the walk around prior but who knows, had already been traveling all day when I picked up the car at LaGuardia. Will pay extra attention going forward!

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
Upvote 0
I took the delivery today, on the first ride I hit the curb, I see there is a cut on the rear passenger tyre, Do I need to change the tyre?. Wow I didn't know that this is an issue with Tesla, I had similar running on curb before with accord, never had any issues.
Years ago my wife was driving our brand new Honda Accord and our young son distracted her for a moment - swerved a bit and hit the curb and flattened both RH tires. I happens.

Reactions: TomB985
Upvote 0