Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Model 3 owners simple not know how to park?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7A3ACD85-3CBD-4E9B-B23B-DE4D95AEF126.jpeg
C0E1568A-FB1D-45EC-A363-3D9FADA35640.jpeg
Hard to get a good angle of it but when i upgraded to 20” wheels the Michelin pilot tires are made with some type of “rim protector “ basically there is a channel between edge of rim and start of sidewall / results in tire sticking out a few mm beyond wheel only near rim
i did not know about it and at first sight thought tires were not seated correctly .. how effective it is i have yet to find out

View attachment 471249 View attachment 471250 Hard to get a good angle of it but when i upgraded to 20” wheels the Michelin pilot tires are made with some type of “rim protector “ basically there is a channel between edge of rim and start of sidewall / results in tire sticking out a few mm beyond wheel only near rim
i did not know about it and at first sight thought tires were not seated correctly .. how effective it is i have yet to find out
When you zoom in on the closest of the 4 wheels, you can get a good look at the lip you're talking about. Good looking out bro and thanks for the pic and heads up.
Now how are you going to find out how well it works? :eek:

Reactions: Phlier
Oh man, watching some people back into superchargers is a treat. Thankfully, my auto park works good enough to make me look like a superstar.

I scratched my wheels the first couple weeks I had a the car. I guess I wasn't used to the depth of the car yet, needed some time to learn how to pull it in.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Two of my wheels are trashed because of summon.

1st was advanced summon, only tine I’ve ever used it. 80% out of a perpendicular spot adjacent to a curb and then a hard left turn (before the car was fully out of the spot) brought the rear left wheel up onto and then scraping down the curb. Swore to never use it again.

2nd, yesterday. I use regular summon to center the car in parallel spots often once out of the car. Was about 3” from curb. Moved the car two feet forward and then for no apparent reason the front left wheel turned abruptly into the curb. Car wasn’t even moving. I have 20s so that was enough to take a good chunk out.

Oh man, watching some people back into superchargers is a treat. Thankfully, my auto park works good enough to make me look like a superstar.

I scratched my wheels the first couple weeks I had a the car. I guess I wasn't used to the depth of the car yet, needed some time to learn how to pull it in.
What threw me off the first few times backing into superchargers was having to hit the “stopper” in order for the cable to reach ... I guess I’m accustomed to years of not letting those things go underneath my cars when pulling in forward at traditional parking spots unless u want to risk it pulling something off on way out :confused: (I know the supercharger one is lower .. but old habits)

Reactions: jordanair45
Two of my wheels are trashed because of summon.

1st was advanced summon, only tine I’ve ever used it. 80% out of a perpendicular spot adjacent to a curb and then a hard left turn (before the car was fully out of the spot) brought the rear left wheel up onto and then scraping down the curb. Swore to never use it again.

2nd, yesterday. I use regular summon to center the car in parallel spots often once out of the car. Was about 3” from curb. Moved the car two feet forward and then for no apparent reason the front left wheel turned abruptly into the curb. Car wasn’t even moving. I have 20s so that was enough to take a good chunk out.

Thanks for reminding me to never play with Summon. I've yet to ever try it for a year.

View attachment 471249 View attachment 471250 Hard to get a good angle of it but when i upgraded to 20” wheels the Michelin pilot tires are made with some type of “rim protector “ basically there is a channel between edge of rim and start of sidewall / results in tire sticking out a few mm beyond wheel only near rim

I had Pirelli P7+ 19" tires on OEM Wheels and they had a similar rim saver. Won't protect it from all cases but it will some.

Lots of folks blame rim sticking out. It's also the rim is closer to the ground, so shorter curbs can damage your wheels.

The Aero's with Primacy do stick out the worst of the bunch and show the most damage on average.

I visited a super charger this weekend and there were 4 Model 3's charging.

Every banged up rims. One was every wheel 360 degrees on every wheel.

One was a nice looking White on White Performance and his 20" had a deep gouge on one wheel too.

I just don't get it. My Model 3 that I just sold didn't have a Mark.

My wife traded an 8 year old VW CC with Turbine like wheels. She had one ding that I buffed out.

Hint, make sure your mirrors TILT down in reverse. So even when pulling in forward, before you get to close, take a moment and put the car in reverse to see how close you are. Only takes a few seconds and may save your rims.

One other Hint, turn the wheel sharp into the curb, to "test" where the curb is. Don't "graze" it, that's when you kill your rims. I wouldn't do this with 20" or maybe even with 19" but 18" you can bump the curb at "safe" angle to feel where the curb is.

And don't blame the car. I have 2 sets of Aero's and 1 set of OEM 19". I don't think I've biffed a wheel in 25 years. I can't recall the last time I did. I love my cars to much I guess and I take my time when parallel parking.

I should have taken a photo. It was a pretty ugly scene at that Super Charger.
Ok I’m guilty! I’ve curb my rims like 3x because I try to park away from other cars. I park close to the curb. And ended up running into the curb ughhhhhh

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Zero curb rash on my Model 3 and X since I always use my mirrors to parallel park (within 6 inches to the curb and not 2 feet away) and check where the curbs are before backing up. This is with over 120000 km on my Teslas combined. In my pickup truck, I can care less with all terrain tire sidewalls taller than most curbs.

It’s not the type of wheels that cause curb rash. I’ve had Turbines, Arachnids, and aftermarket wheels on my Model S and plenty of flush offset aftermarket wheels that stick out more than stock 20” Performance 3 wheels without rash. Just take the time to know where obstacles and curbs are before backing up.

well, I am one of those guys. never scraped a rim in my 15 years of driving.. or just got lucky because i never had rims that were extending beyond the tires. I used to climb curbs with no damage to my rims. all that ended last week when i scraped my M3 front tire rim.. It was only after scraping that I realized that these rims were different.. put my first scratch on my new car..
Same here. I'm pretty sure I'm just not used to the low profile tires. I think trying to get closer to the curb than I would otherwise because I have more sensors etc. probably didn't help.

Now how are you going to find out how well it works?
He can always come over to my place and let my wife drive it for a day or two. That's the maximum amount of time she needs to drive a vehicle in order to thoroughly curb all four wheels multiple times.

I had to have a serious talk with her about the Tesla... Told her that under no circumstances is she to *ever* find herself in a situation where she is next to a curb while driving the Tesla. Ever. She's had to alter her routine a bit, but so far, my wheels are still pristine.

When she drops my daughter off at school in the morning, she pulls into the parking lot and parks, rather than pulling up into the drop off circle where she would have to get close to a curb.

She's also not allowed to supercharge the car. In the rare event that the car needs to go to the supercharger, it's my job.

I have to give her credit for being such a good sport about this, really. She honestly accepts and understands her limitation about not being able to get a wheel close to a curb without trashing it.

I just wish she would have accepted and understood this limitation 25 years sooner...

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3