Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the Oil and Filter Used in the Model Y Gearboxes Need to be Serviced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At about 0:20 into the video below, Sandy Munro shows oil filters on the gearboxes of the front and back Electronic Drive Modules on a Model Y which are very similar (if not identical) to the Model 3 EDMs. Although it makes sense, it didn’t even occur to me that Teslas used oil for this purpose. I searched the Model Y and Model 3 Owners Manuals and there is no mention of a service interval for changing the oil or filter for the gearboxes. Can anyone please elaborate on whether these items need to be serviced?

Thanks. And wow, it's hard to imagine a fluid and filter that never need to be changed for the life of the vehicle.

I think it comes from having a pump, filter, and temperature control. So unlike in an ICE vehicle the fluid never gets so hot as to start breaking down. (Like for hard tracking of most cars you have to have a differential cooler to prevent it from overheating.)

• Informative
Reactions: spsheridan
On my current Chevy Bolt EV, the gearbox fluid needs to be changed somewhere past 100,000 miles. I'd expect the Tesla motor to be at least as good as the Chevy design, if not better, so expect a change somewhere in the 100,000 to 200,000 mile range. :)

Reactions: spsheridan
Early S had DU failures, usually noisy bearings. I suspect they added a filter on 3 & Y to keep any manufacturing junk and bits or wear from circulating and creating more bits. No transmission bands to wear and add debris like an automatic. Sealed unit so no moisture or O2 exchange.

...any idea how often on average these types of services occur?

As previously mentioned, in the absence of heat (somewhat relevant) and contaminants (very relevant) gear oils can last a long time. Think of the average manual transmission or differential. These are often 100k mile plus items, and that's usually without a filter. I changed the (manual) transmission oil in my last car at about 125K miles and apart from a small pellet of metal dust on the magnetic drain plug, the oil looked pristine. Not that its appearance is a great indicator, I have to admit.

In the case of a traditional differential on an ICE you are changing the rotation direction, that involves a lot of stress not present when the motor and the wheels are turning the same direction.
In FWD it is shared fluid with the transmission which introduces clutch debris. These aren't factors in a Tesla.

Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

There are all kinds of fluids in modern cars that last for the life of the unit. Decades ago, we used to pack wheel bearings every 30,000 miles, but modern sealed bearings usually go to the scrapyard with the rest of the car. The majority of vehicles manufactured with standalone lubricated differentials don't have a change interval for the gear lube, and some of those are in heavy service applications that see hundreds of thousands of miles. Automatic transmissions are hard on fluid because of repeated heat cycles, clutch material, and torque converter shear. The fluid in your drive units has a much more relaxed life than most fluids you can think of in a conventional powertrain.

I'll worry about it if (1) the car tells me to, or (2) we start seeing lubrication-related drive system failures. Until there's evidence that a change is needed, I'm gonna drive the car and not worry about it.

Depends on how good the filter is, I guess. Gearsets wear-in and polish the mating surfaces during the first several thousands miles of service -- such precision being impractical to achieve during manufacture. This results in a considerable amount of wear metals. In a gearbox without a filter I make a habit of an early change, regardless of manufacturers' claim of "lifetime" fluid. Their definition of "lifetime" and mine are likely driven by different objectives. I've never had experience with a filtered transmission though, only the conventional magnetic drain plugs. With those, the drained lube is noticeably silvery even at an early change at 10,000 miles so a magnet definitely does not catch it all.