Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you believe all Model 3 owners who purchase FSD get HW3?

Do you think all Model 3 owners who have purchased FSD will get the HW3 upgrade for free?

• Yes, Elon confirmed it multiple times in the past.

Votes: 97 79.5%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • No, Tesla will only give it to those who purchased FSD with the old description

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • No, Tesla will claim HW3 isn't needed for FSD

Votes: 20 16.4%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price of FSD has changed many times.

Also the description of FSD has changed at least twice. It used to be:
FSDold.jpg

Now it is:
FSDNew.png

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
The 2019 FSD description is very well defined and I do believe those additional features beyond what is already available could be accomplished with HW3. But I also suspect that the Pre-2019 FSD description will require additional HW.

The # of 2019 FSD packages sold will also greatly outnumber the Pre-2019 FSD packages sold.

I think your poll needs a “maybe” option, since I can’t say for sure that Tesla will come through with it but I certainly think it’s a distinct possibility. I did ask a Tesla sales rep this question on the phone today. He laughed at me and said “who knows what Elon will do next?”

The current order description does not promise any hardware updates.

It does clearly promise "over-the-air" updates.

We need to pay for features, not specific hardware.

Now that everyone is so enthusiastic about HW3 when none of YouTubers have ever proven that it's good enough for FSD, then what if when HW3 arrives but it will be proven that it needs HW3.5, HW4.0, HW4.5, HW5.0... then what then?

The current order description does not promise any hardware updates.

It does clearly promise "over-the-air" updates.

We need to pay for features, not specific hardware.

Now that everyone is so enthusiastic about HW3 when none of YouTubers have ever proven that it's good enough for FSD, then what if when HW3 arrives but it will be proven that it needs HW3.5, HW4.0, HW4.5, HW5.0... then what then?
Then you will need to trade in your car for the new Enhanced FSD that uses HW4.0+.

After they release sign/light recognition and city NoAP it's considered feature complete and they've fulfilled the FSD option. Anything beyond is likely available in Enhanced FSD.

Then you will need to trade in your car for the new Enhanced FSD that uses HW4.0+..

Exactly!

That's the problem of wishing for specific hardware such as HW3 now.

We need to reorient our money to pay for features and then it doesn't matter what hardware it takes, as long as those features are delivered, that's what count, not HW3.

If we paid for FSD then it doesn't matter what kind of hardware it takes, as long as Tesla can wean off human driver off the car completely, that's when its obligation will be fulfilled.

Elon said HW2s are good enough for EAP but it will certainly need HW3 for FSD.

EAP was originally designed for highway driving without traffic light/stop sign automatic compliance so there's no need for more powerful hardware.

But when you talk about automatic city street driving and traffic light/stop sign automatic compliance, then it would take much more computing power.

Don't be obsessed about HW3!

HW3 might not be powerful enough to wean off human driver from the seat so be prepared to get whatever hardware that will do the job.

We paid for FSD so we should get all hardware updates necessary at no additional cost to achieve FSD because that's what we paid for, and not a specific hardware HW2, HW2.5, HW3.0...

Reactions: No42
The price of FSD has changed many times.

Also the description of FSD has changed at least twice. It used to be:
View attachment 386192

Now it is:
View attachment 386193
They are just trying to make is simpler. Like how the S and X no longer list battery size. Are you going to argue the P100D no longer has a 100kw battery, they just figured out how to get 300mi from a 75kw one? HW3 is required for 99.9999999 FSD.

Elon confirmed it multiple times that all FSDs will get the HW3 computer swap for free. See:
  • 27 Dec 2018: Confirmed by Elon here
  • 19 Feb 2019: Confirmed by Elon here at 17:23
  • 11 Mar 2019: Confirmed by Elon here
In addition, in a tweet here on 11 Dec 2018, he said the computer swap will be easy and the sensors are already the same. Therefore, the real question should be whether Model 3s with native HW3 might have other hardware differences besides the Autopilot computer which will be replaced. For example, could native HW3 have more redundancy? Is it possible that 'Retrofit HW3' might only support driver-present full self-driving but 'Native HW3' could move a step closer towards driverless FSD? Yes, I think that's possible. That's speculation on my part.

Btw, I believe production will switch to HW3 a few days before the end of this quarter but Tesla will delay the announcement by two weeks until mid-April to make sure Q1 deliveries are finalized.

Last edited:
I am 50/50 at this point. I hope they live up to the hardware 3 promises, but the watering down of what FSD consists of is very concerning.

Not sure I read that. Try reading the bottom paragraph.

When they were selling FSD in 2018, there were no specific deliverables and therefore no dates. But that was before they dropped EAP and introduced the cheaper and lesser AP.

Having dropped EAP, and offered AP, the missing EAP features because available with FSD. In addition, they added some FSD features for release later this year. So FSD now has some specific features (which are available in EAP) plus some specific deliverables for later this year.

My feeling is that Tesla can probably support this year's FSD deliverables without HW3, but its going to get increasingly marginal. I actually think EAP will work a lot better with HW3, but future evolution of FSD will, at some point, force an upgrade to HW3 (or better).

But that was Real FSD. Now they have redefined it to mean some level 2 driver aids.
Nowhere in any of the FSD feature descriptions, does it mention that the user might need to purchase additional HW upgrades in order to get this feature to work. Making these early FSD adopters (old or new) purchase HW upgrades (especially after the company said it would provide HW upgrades for free) would be a bait-and-switch and class-action sueballs would fly.

In my personal case, I knew I was paying a total of $8,000.00 for full function-ability of Auto Pilot / FSD, and autonomous if it becomes available. So to me doesn't matter if the price is 2k/3k or 3k/2k. I understand that many people don't believe that autonomous will ever work so they don't want to spend the money. But I am a believer, and want it all. I came from a car that had the steer assist and adaptive cruise, so I wanted more than those. For what this car can do now... it is worth the $8k. Just my opinion. I would have purchased the performance if it was a little cheaper, and I could get it with 18" wheels. But I am happy with my Dual motor!!