Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have bent 20" wheels on your Model 3?

How many bent 20" model 3 wheels do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One year in, rims in good condition - though recently have been running 18” for road trips. Many potholes avoided. The rains are coming again; may leave the 18” on for a little longer. Hard to part with those PS4S though. It is like a different car.

2 bent rims and 2 popped tires in first week of ownership. 1 of the rims had to be replaced and one didn't but still bent. f-ing bs

That sucks.

Which version is your car?

My Performance model is my 3rd vehicle in a row with 35-series tires, and you learn to watch for potholes carefully. That said, if you actually blew a tire, you must have hit one hell of a pothole or ridge.

This is not a defect and Tesla should not provide you any compensation. It's from hitting potholes or other impacts to the wheels.

The 20" tires have a thin, stiff sidewall and therefore not a lot of "give". If you hit something hard enough there is only so much force the tire can take before it translates into the wheel.

This is not unique to Tesla. Any manufacturers wheel (BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, etc) with stiff, low-profile tires will bend if it hits a pothole with enough force. This is something to be expected when running big wheels with low-profile tires. You got to pay to play, as they say. If you don't like them buy some 19's.

Reactions: Kenz
I felt a shimmy after 6,000 miles on my P3D and upon service appt at Tesla they explained I have 2 bent rims on the passenger side. I’m really upset about this. I’m a careful driver. They say I need to replace the wheels and the tires!

The issue I have is that I had zero clue from Tesla that I have eggshell tires! There should def be a reduced price replacement program. Tesla quote for replacement is $2400. Great.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I felt a shimmy after 6,000 miles on my P3D and upon service appt at Tesla they explained I have 2 bent rims on the passenger side. I’m really upset about this. I’m a careful driver. They say I need to replace the wheels and the tires!

The issue I have is that I had zero clue from Tesla that I have eggshell tires! There should def be a reduced price replacement program. Tesla quote for replacement is $2400. Great.

What did you hit?

Attachments

• BF39DBF0-C8A8-475E-BA39-67501FC83479.png
    BF39DBF0-C8A8-475E-BA39-67501FC83479.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • 02B0F2FB-5A50-441D-AC0A-888173731658.png
    02B0F2FB-5A50-441D-AC0A-888173731658.png
    814.8 KB · Views: 85
Performance tires and rims are more expensive than all weather tires and the rims are larger.
The lower the profile of the tire the bigger pot hole risk. Seems like the 19" rims and tires have less problems than the 20"
The 18" rims and tires have less problems than the 19".

Reactions: focher

Find a rim repair shop. I live in the Bay Area, an expensive place, and pay $200 / rim for a full repair.