Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have bent 20" wheels on your Model 3?

How many bent 20" model 3 wheels do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think at most Tesla should toss in a heads up in the manual, or train their delivery people (hah) to give folks who haven’t had tiny sidewall tires before a heads up. Its not a huge secret but if you’ve never owned a car with big wheels and tiny sidewalks you don’t necessarily know the risks

Yeap, I recall when buying a BMW with 19s, they had me sign a form which explained the risks that I was assuming with the wheel/tire package. Tesla would be wise to do the same and to offer an alternative tire/wheel package for the performance model.

Low profile performance tires definitely contribute to the problem.
Tesla should increase the profile of its performance tires to reduce this and the curb rash problems.
The service centers have better things to deal with than tire and rim problems especially since these problems could be reduced by changing tire size. Tesla needs to get with their tire provider and solve this problem for all new cars produced. Time to move from a 35 series tire to a 40 series tire.

Low profile performance tires definitely contribute to the problem.
Tesla should increase the profile of its performance tires to reduce this and the curb rash problems.
The service centers have better things to deal with than tire and rim problems especially since these problems could be reduced by changing tire size. Tesla needs to get with their tire provider and solve this problem for all new cars produced. Time to move from a 35 series tire to a 40 series tire.

Except that going to 40 series and 19 inch wheels doesn't prevent the problem, just reduces the incidence of it. I would agree that the sales and optioning process should/could include a choice to have 20s or 19s on the car, with the appropriate warning that the larger wheel and lower profile tire are going to be more prone to pothole and other damage. But for anyone to think that 40 series tires makes you immune? Hah!

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Look, not looking to point the finger just for the sake of it.

If this just "happens" with 20" wheels I would have liked to have known that. I would have gotten 18 or 19, whatever would have been the most durable option. Now, if the Tesla wheels were analyzed and found to be thinner or using softer metals or something, that would be a concern as well. But I am not in a position to care that much.

I also have the form to place a claim with the city, because the roads are their responsibility.

99% going to the 18x9 FC04's as soon as these tires wear out.

Look, not looking to point the finger just for the sake of it.

If this just "happens" with 20" wheels I would have liked to have known that. I would have gotten 18 or 19, whatever would have been the most durable option. Now, if the Tesla wheels were analyzed and found to be thinner or using softer metals or something, that would be a concern as well. But I am not in a position to care that much.

I also have the form to place a claim with the city, because the roads are their responsibility.

99% going to the 18x9 FC04's as soon as these tires wear out.

Please know that you may find the handling squishy and less responsive. But the ride will be better and for sure you will be less vulnerable with 18in wheels to either wheel or tire damage from potholes. But it will also look less racy. It's all trade-offs. Pick a parameter that you want to maximize but be prepared to pay for it in other areas

Your post suggests that you don't understand how Ultra high-performance wheels and rims really work. The fact that a 35 series tire on a 20 inch rim sitting on a 4000 pound car is sometimes damaged by really bad potholes and other unfortunate Road related impacts is not a sign that Tesla has manufactured a defective rim. Its vulnerability the damage is one of the trade-offs built into any 35 series Tire. If you don't like that then yes by all means please do downgrade to 19 inch wheels where at least you can put on a 40 series Tire, or even better yet an 18-inch wheel where you can get a 45 series Tire. Each of those transitions offers increasing safety for the rim and impact tolerance. However any low profile tire and wheel combination (and 45 series is still considered low profile) is vulnerable to Road impacts in a way that older 70 + 60 series tires never were.

I totally get that, the frustrating part is that the Model 3 performance would otherwise be a practical car usable for daily driving, but there is no sub 20" option.... except in China. So you buy the 20" wheels with the 3P, or you get the 3 AWD.

Anyone have semi recent experience with the stock Tesla 19" wheels. Any chance they fit on the 3 performance? I've heard lots of vague and conflicting reports. Some mention that early model 3 wheels didn't fit, but new revisions do because of slight changes. Some claim the 19" wheels fit, but others claim that some minor filing of the calibers are required.

I know several 3rd party vendors sell 19" 3P compatible wheels, but I'd like to stay stock if possible.

Anyone have semi recent experience with the stock Tesla 19" wheels. Any chance they fit on the 3 performance? I've heard lots of vague and conflicting reports. Some mention that early model 3 wheels didn't fit, but new revisions do because of slight changes. Some claim the 19" wheels fit, but others claim that some minor filing of the calibers are required.

I know several 3rd party vendors sell 19" 3P compatible wheels, but I'd like to stay stock if possible.

They fit. Depending on the wheel (new vs old) you MAY need 3mm spacers up front but they are like $12.

I totally get that, the frustrating part is that the Model 3 performance would otherwise be a practical car usable for daily driving, but there is no sub 20" option.... except in China. So you buy the 20" wheels with the 3P, or you get the 3 AWD.

Okay so maybe what you need to do is find a swap with somebody who wants your snazzier 20 inch wheels and better tires and they can throw in some cash in the bargain along with giving you their 19 or 18 in. Or just sell yours because there is a market for them.

We live in New England which is full of potholes and we have two model 3s, and knock on wood, no bent rims in 10,000 miles. Where do you live that you have so many potholes worse than we do?

Looks like a lot of people don't know how tires work. Wow.

The tire is the flexible part between the wheel and the road. The smaller it is, the more responsive steering will be, and generally the better the car will handle. The larger it is, the more it flexes between changes, such as increasing the time between the driver turning the wheel and the tire actually responding. A larger sidewall allows the tire to roll over, which decreases contact patch when cornering, which decreases grip.

Compound is a factor, certainly. But it isn't teh overriding factor. A performance tire is softer. It will give better grip, but not last as long. An all season tire just won't grip the road as well. But it won't change teh sidewall height or increase the size of that flexible part.

Tire width and wheel size are related. If your tire is wider than your wheel, then you are adding compliance between the wheel and the road. Again, that delays response, allows the sidewall to roll over. Conversely, a wheel slightly wider than the tire will pull the sidewall a little tighter, giving less compliance, making steering sharper and preventing the sidewall from rolling over.

Now......we are talking about the PERFORMANCE version of this car. That is marketed towards people who put a premium on how the car handles, accelerates, etc. All these suggestions about putting on inferior tires are going the exact OPPOSITE way of what the performance is supposed to be. Complaining about the negatives of a performance oriented wheel and tire package is a bit like buying a 1970 LS6 Chevelle SS 454, and then complaining about gas mileage. If you expect 30 MPG, then it isn't the car's fault, it is the owners.

I bent 2 wheels on my BMW, and it had 18's when 19's were available. I flat out destroyed a wheel previously on a Mazda MIllenia S when I lived in MI and hit a pothole (granted, it also took out the radiator!). No complaints, though, the non-S had smaller wheels. It is just part of owing that kind of car with that kind of wheel/tire combo.

Now, I did buy 19's for this car. As several other owners have done. The roads here are hot garbage from some ice storms we have had int he past couple of years, and I drive over 30,000 miles per year, so I know that I would certainly bend the 20's. Hope I don't the 19's, but I probably will at some point. The notion that smaller wheels don't fit. They absolutely fit, and many 18's do. So you certainly can fit a smaller wheel in there. But if you are mad at Tesla for not letting you buy smaller wheels initially, then Tesla has a car for you. They have several options, actually. SR, SR+, LR RWD, and LR AWD. The Performance is not really marketed towards you.

The UK has P3D without the performance upgrade package, with 18" Aero wheels by default (in other words, it's an AWD/LR but with the rear motor driven with the same power specs as on a P). Some affectionately call it the "P-".

Huh - and here I’ve been using my 3P as a practical daily driver all along, and on 20” wheels/tires the entire time, including winter.

Guess I should sell it now and cut my losses...

/sarcasm

I have a feeling there may be a number of people who don’t even realize their wheels are bent.

It felt like a minor imbalance in my car. I own a dynamic wheel balancer, so naturally I decided to rebalance the wheels. I hate vibrations!

Upon closer inspection there were multiple flattened spots on the passenger side front and rear wheels. Zero potholes were hit. Tires were also in perfect condition. I’ve owned cars with 35 series tires before and never had an issue.