Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have bent 20" wheels on your Model 3?

How many bent 20" model 3 wheels do you have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No kidding. But that wouldn't fit the narrative when 90% of owners will respond with 0. :D

I will say I was disturbed to see rubber transfer onto one of the wheels from extreme tire compression this morning. Pretty sure that was from hitting a manhole cover depression (which for some reason they don't like to keep at street level in San Diego). No visible deformation of the wheel though, and no vibration.

From mountain biking, I've learned that to avoid pinch flats (even when running tubeless), you overinflate...even though that is non-optimal in other ways. Similarly, I make sure I have 45psi cold even in the middle of winter. It has its downsides, but I suspect it helps increase the margin before wheel deformation a bit. Rubber is elastic; wheels not so much.

Still, one of these days, I'll probably get unlucky.

In the spirit of victim blaming, I wonder what PSI the people with dented wheels were running? ;)

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt
I will say I was disturbed to see rubber transfer onto one of the wheels from extreme tire compression this morning. Pretty sure that was from hitting a manhole cover depression (which for some reason they don't like to keep at street level in San Diego). No visible deformation of the wheel though, and no vibration.

From mountain biking, I've learned that to avoid pinch flats (even when running tubeless), you overinflate...even though that is non-optimal in other ways. Similarly, I make sure I have 45psi cold even in the middle of winter. It has its downsides, but I suspect it helps increase the margin before wheel deformation a bit. Rubber is elastic; wheels not so much.

Still, one of these days, I'll probably get unlucky.

In the spirit of victim blaming, I wonder what PSI the people with dented wheels were running? ;)

I'm running around 41 PSI cold (usually 42, but haven't upped the pressures in a bit. Some particularly cold mornings I see 40 PSI, which I don't like to see so I'll inflate them a little before long). Haven't had an issue with Seattle yet, thankfully, but people bust any size wheel here. When you say you had rubber transfer onto the wheels, do you mean around the rim of the wheel? Can you explain a little further?

I would assume the inner side of the wheel is what is usually bent, of course, since it's a lot weaker - I did look at that side as well and couldn't see anything. I'd notice any significant imbalance on a front wheel, so pretty sure it is fine.

I'm assuming you mean something like this? (took this picture just now). In which case, yep, this happens all the time. I usually have a minor freak out as I've never curbed a wheel in my 17.5 years of driving in the USA since I moved here, and it always looks like curbage. But nope, it's just... rubber/gunk that comes off.

012F589C-4AB5-4082-86C4-51342308056A_1_105_c.jpeg

Anyone who thinks they have "0" hasn't yanked each wheel off and spun them on a balancer to see the inside edge of the barrel :p

Moving from the relatively low load range OEM 235/35 R20 92Y (1389lbs) PS4S to 245/35 R20 95W (1521lbs) M+S rated tires, the ride driving in war zone like San Francisco road conditions went from driving on mini sledgehammers to a normal bumpy but not jarring ride.

My advice to anyone buying a PUP-equipped P3 new is to yank the 235s off immediately (before you bend the inside bead edge of the barrel) and peddle them on CL/Nextdoor/Offerup/FBMarketplace, etc, then toss some 255/35 R20 97Y (1609lbs) PS4Ss or 245/35 R20 95Y (1521lbs) Vredestein Quatrac Pro (if you require triple-peak all-weather tires for winter and don't want to deal with dedicated winter wheels/tires). The added load rating combined with the higher amount of ballooning during compression will make pinching the tires out on normal "bad" roads a thing of the past !

-=dave

Anyone who thinks they have "0" hasn't yanked each wheel off and spun them on a balancer to see the inside edge of the barrel :p

I’ve taken mine off and the inside of the barrel looks roughly round. Haven’t spun them though, so...shrug...entirely possible they are not perfect.

As long as I can drive on them and they do not vibrate or whatever at any speed, it seems like they are probably fine.

Can you share pics of these tires on the car

Moving from the relatively low load range OEM 235/35 R20 92Y (1389lbs) PS4S to 245/35 R20 95W (1521lbs) M+S rated tires, the ride driving in war zone like San Francisco road conditions went from driving on mini sledgehammers to a normal bumpy but not jarring ride.

My advice to anyone buying a PUP-equipped P3 new is to yank the 235s off immediately (before you bend the inside bead edge of the barrel) and peddle them on CL/Nextdoor/Offerup/FBMarketplace, etc, then toss some 255/35 R20 97Y (1609lbs) PS4Ss or 245/35 R20 95Y (1521lbs) Vredestein Quatrac Pro (if you require triple-peak all-weather tires for winter and don't want to deal with dedicated winter wheels/tires). The added load rating combined with the higher amount of ballooning during compression will make pinching the tires out on normal "bad" roads a thing of the past !

-=dave