Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know that you must keep your battery charged?

Did you know that you must keep your battery charged? (anonymous)

• I own an EV and know that I must keep it charged

Votes: 125 51.0%
  • I own an EV but it wasn't made clear to me that I must keep it from being discharged

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't own an EV but knew that you had to keep the battery from going flat

Votes: 94 38.4%
  • I don't own an EV and didn't know that you needed to keep them charged

Votes: 23 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how much of this is a design error. Is it technically possible to disconnect the cells completely while still maintaing a tight temperature control? Would Tesla be responsible for the battery pack if you left the car at a 10% SOC and left for a month? The battery pack would disconnect then bake in the sun for 2 weeks. Tesla might still be able to revive the battery pack but the potential thermal damage could severely harm the pack's use and the owner could then again blame Telsa. They seem to be in a no win situation if the owner goes against every warning and again common sense in terms of plugging the car in. I don't think there is a need for a recall on the Roadster. Tesla should maybe contact every Roadster owner over the phone and stress the importance of plugging the car in.

In my view, there should be a manufacturer's recall on this.
Recalls are only issued for safety issues. There really isn't one in this case.

I'm not sure you can even claim there is a manufacturing defect, because the discharge rate and time from 0% to over-discharge was well documented and the car actually performed better than specified (3.5%/week vs 5%/week, at least 14 days vs immediately in the manual and the disclosure statement).

As long as you are informed about the discharge rate and the need to keep it away from 0% for too long, I don't think it's that hard to avoid.

In layman's terms, the spec says just parking your car for a couple of months can destroy your $40K battery. So, now instead of Range Anxiety, we have Storage Anxiety. That is a design error.

No, it is a property of current battery technology. BTW, even ICE's can damage from the gasoline degenerating chemically.

In my view, there should be a manufacturer's recall on this. After a few weeks of sitting unplugged and with SOC below a certain level, the battery management system should switch from active management (preserving long term battery life) to passive management that will prevent catastrophic battery failure. Better a battery that gives a few less miles than a battery that gives zero miles. That Tesla improved this for Roadster 2.0 is good. That Tesla improved it even more for Model S is good. So, why can't this be retrofitted to previous models?

Maybe they really can't, or Tesla doesn't consider that the best solution for some reason. That's not the kind of thing a manufacturer has to explain to us in all detail.

Again, the real point here is how Tesla reacted. The author's analogy about suing Top Gear was absolutely right. Yeah, the Top Gear episode was misleading. Taking them to court was not the solution - that strategy backfired when the court ruled against them. The proper solution there was a marketing campaign with cross-country Roadster events, etc.

It was more than misleading. TopGear has crossed many lines, in many episodes not just regarding Tesla. (And Tesla did a lot of Roadster events.)

Tesla's long term view solution here should have been to fix this guy's car (and the other bricked cars) for the price of the extended battery warranty plus some years, and most importantly issue a recall to prevent this from happening to any other Tesla vehicle.

It seems pure speculation that Tesla could do something in a recall. The problem is not new to them, and without discussing things with their experts, we have to assume that they chose the best solution for a range of possible situations.

How many millions of dollars would it take to recall every Tesla and retrofit each car with possible a new PEM and maybe battery along with other necessary changes for this 'design flaw'? While the design of the car may not be ideal, it did function exactly how Telsa said it would. They seemed to have found a way to make this even less of a problem with the Model S. I'd rather have Tesla take the millions of dollars they would need for a recall and spend it towards engineers, advertising, factory workers..etc

Agree with Norbert's comments. Additionally:

....and the other bricked cars.....

Which cars? One is known, the others all seem to have been speculation/rumor.

and most importantly issue a recall to prevent this from happening to any other Tesla vehicle.

"Prevent" is asking for an absolute that can never be fulfilled. So it might take 12 months standing unplugged for a Model S to "brick", how can that be prevented? You can't protect everyone from their own stupidity.....

The following pic shows a major fire risk for all ICE's...should the manufacturers issue a recall notice to prevent it ever happening again?:

epic-fail-fill-up-fail.jpg

Yup, it's a design problem. The car designer put the filler pipe in the wrong place, if it was at the rear of the car you could drive away and the nozzle would fall out. Or there could be a sensor on the fuel filler door that prevents the car from starting when it's open. Someone should be blogging about this!!

Last edited:
How many millions of dollars would it take to recall every Tesla and retrofit each car with possible a new PEM and maybe battery along with other necessary changes for this 'design flaw'? While the design of the car may not be ideal, it did function exactly how Telsa said it would. They seemed to have found a way to make this even less of a problem with the Model S. I'd rather have Tesla take the millions of dollars they would need for a recall and spend it towards engineers, advertising, factory workers..etc

I think if money is spent on this issue, the best place to spend it is perhaps to call up owners and inform them about it (and also on informing future Tesla owners about it when they buy a car). Even a recall will not eliminate the danger of over-discharge, it only extends the time it takes for it to happen. So someone ignorant about it can still have it happen to them.

Has anyone done the calculations for a 5% SOC loss in a week? I really can't believe the VMS is anywhere near that - it must be fans and pumps.

Scotts log parser shows in the sleep records a current of -0,1A from the ESS. That's when it's idle. (@ 21[SUP]o[/SUP]C)
That's about 37W. About 3 months to drain a 53 kWh battery.
Not sure if the resolution is good enough though, maybe it's actually -0,05A, but the VMS rounds it to -0,1A

... That Tesla improved this for Roadster 2.0 is good. That Tesla improved it even more for Model S is good. So, why can't this be retrofitted to previous models?...

Great point. That would be a great firmware change in the Roadster and Tesla could announce how they went back and did the mod for previous car owners. That would be some good press. !!

I'm sorry, this guy is an idiot. Seriously RTFM! He says it wasn't spelled out clearly enough, like people who spill hot coffee on themselves and sue the sellers of the coffee. Let's see, it was written all over in the manual, he signed a document clearly spelling out his pack would be permanently damaged if he did this. What more does he want, what does he think permanent damage means? Everyone knew the cost of a Roadster battery pack is around 30k, that's been public for years. He even stored it at 21% SOC. I mean, he drives it to almost empty and then lets it sit for 2 months, doesn't ever check on it, and somehow Tesla is at fault? This guy really needs to be slapped upside the head for having way more dollars than sense.

No, it is a property of current battery technology. BTW, even ICE's can damage from the gasoline degenerating chemically.

As has been pointed out in the blogosphere, gas going stale in a car isn't going to cost $40K to repair. And, that takes a lot longer than a few months.

It was more than misleading. TopGear has crossed many lines, in many episodes not just regarding Tesla. (And Tesla did a lot of Roadster events.)

A court of law said the Top Gear episode was not misleading. And that wouldn't have happened has Tesla not sued. All Tesla did was legitimize Top Gear. Again, this was a bad approach to the problem. You and I know the truth, but steadfastly sticking to it is almost never the right PR move.

It seems pure speculation that Tesla could do something in a recall. The problem is not new to them, and without discussing things with their experts, we have to assume that they chose the best solution for a range of possible situations.

Clearly not the best solution, as they improved the design in later versions, as well as in later cars.

"Prevent" is asking for an absolute that can never be fulfilled.

OK, so I should have said "help prevent."

You can't protect everyone from their own stupidity.....

The following pic shows a major fire risk for all ICE's...should the manufacturers issue a recall notice to prevent it ever happening again?:

View attachment 4495

Yup, it's a design problem. The car designer put the filler pipe in the wrong place, if it was at the rear of the car you could drive away and the nozzle would fall out. Or there could be a sensor on the fuel filler door that prevents the car from starting when it's open. Someone should be blogging about this!!

Well, first of all, I note that the hose had a breakaway connector. These were retrofitted onto all gas pumps (at least in CA) at some point. So, that's the equivalent of a recall.

But, note there's a big difference between stupidity and ignorance. Putting the hose in your car and driving off without remembering to remove it is stupid (or at least forgetful). Not knowing that your car can't sit for 2 months without being plugged in is ignorance.

What's ironic here is that the Roadster tells you if you attempt to drive the car with the charge port door open. Imagine driving off with the connector still attached and live wires breaking off!

Great point. That would be a great firmware change in the Roadster and Tesla could announce how they went back and did the mod for previous car owners. That would be some good press. !!

A critical part of the change in the Model S is that battery cells are improved and targeted for automotive use. I'm not sure what has changed in Roadsters (except GSM notifications to Tesla), but while I haven't read every sentence in every message in the thread, any improvements in Roadsters might have been hardware improvements (for example less energy consuming battery management). Any firmware change might have to balance improvements in one direction with disadvantages in another direction (less optimal temperature), and you often can't just remove features even if you add others. I doubt there is a simple thing Tesla could have done but hasn't already. So unless you really know something, please don't start a new rumor in that direction by stating a hope for a possibility as if it were a fact.

A court of law said the Top Gear episode was not misleading. And that wouldn't have happened has Tesla not sued. All Tesla did was legitimize Top Gear. Again, this was a bad approach to the problem. You and I know the truth, but steadfastly sticking to it is almost never the right PR move.

So we agree about the "truth". That was my point. I'm not a PR expert, and I haven't read the court's decision in detail, but I supported and still support Tesla's case.

Asking for a Roadster upgrade to current tech is not starting rumors. Asking someone else not do or not do something because you don't think it's justified, is rude.

Eh? I'm talking about that the possibility of such an upgrade is anything else than a given. It would be justified if it were possible, but we don't know that as a fact (unless I missed something, as I said).