Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you know that you must keep your battery charged?

Did you know that you must keep your battery charged? (anonymous)

• I own an EV and know that I must keep it charged

Votes: 125 51.0%
  • I own an EV but it wasn't made clear to me that I must keep it from being discharged

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't own an EV but knew that you had to keep the battery from going flat

Votes: 94 38.4%
  • I don't own an EV and didn't know that you needed to keep them charged

Votes: 23 9.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nope, it has paid off very well for him in terms of attention and notoriety.

He has a gift for framing things in a light that makes them seem much worse than they really are (case in point - we all know Tesla can track your vehicle just like any other vehicle with telematics). He might want to go write campaign ads for some of this year's candidates.

Nope, it has paid off very well for him in terms of attention and notoriety.

He has a gift for framing things in a light that makes them seem much worse than they really are (case in point - we all know Tesla can track your vehicle just like any other vehicle with telematics). He might want to go write campaign ads for some of this year's candidates.
I see you spotted what I noticed from looking at some of his other articles (which primarily trash Android and Google).

In layman's terms, the spec says just parking your car for a couple of months can destroy your $40K battery. So, now instead of Range Anxiety, we have Storage Anxiety. That is a design error.
This is not a storage problem. It is a "I'm too lazy or too stupid to plug in a plug-in car" problem. The Roadster can safely be stored for as long as you like. You just have to plug it in. It's an electric car, for crying out loud!

I think if money is spent on this issue, the best place to spend it is perhaps to call up owners and inform them about it...
I was informed numerous times: By my salesman, by the disclosure agreement I signed, by the owner's manual, by my "advocate."

They didn't actually say "You'd be stupid to buy this car if you cannot plug it in, or you're too lazy to plug it in," but that was certainly implied.

I don't think any auto maker will fix for free a car that's been ruined through gross negligence. It's true that it's not exactly the same as driving an ICE car that you know leaks oil, without checking the oil; and it's not exactly the same as driving away from the pump with the nozzle still in your car; and it's not exactly the same as driving off a cliff intentionally because nobody ever told you about gravity; but it requires the same level of negligence, and nobody is going to give you a free car when you do any of those things. (Well, maybe if you have a sugar daddy, but not otherwise.)

I think Tesla did the only thing they could. The internet being what it is, there will always be bloggers smearing people. About the only thing you can do about it is counter-blogging with the facts: The guy knew or should have known and chose to ignore the special needs of a special car. When you buy something this expensive, you take care of it, and in the case of an electric car, that means plugging it in.

Even as an EV owner I really see this as a problem. Lets say you are away at a summer home, two month mission trip, long vacation and there is a storm and the breaker trips on the car. Imagine coming home to find you have to spend more for a repair than most cars cost?

Another possibility is last year I had a bad bicycle accident and if it were not for my helmet I would not be writing. A few months in the hospital suddenly became a possibility. Since my wife has no desire to drive the Tesla would she verify it was plugged in?

As an engineer we are taught to think about fail safe, so if someone does something stupid, no-one gets hurt and the reactor, plant or other piece of equipment is not ruined.

When asked about my Roadster or electrics in general the largest objection raised is the cost of the battery. I am afraid I do not have a good answer to give them.

I built an electric Jeep and it's lithium pack can go years without a charge. At one point this was tested in a two month sebatical and there was no issue. So it is technically possible.

Last edited:
It is a possible problem, that can easily be dealt with in most cases, though possibly not all. Tell your wife that if you are unable to do so the vehicle must be kept plugged in or it will be ruined. Tell some friends the same. It's a simple reality that given enough time unattended any battery will eventually discharge to zero and be ruined. (Except for maybe Edison nickel batteries). It sounds as if Tesla has greatly extended this time frame for upcoming vehicles. Have you tried contacting them to see if there is any possible upgrade for your Roadster? Maybe you can notify Tesla if you are going on an extended trip and they can check in on the charge status of the car and give them access if necessary.

When asked about my Roadster or electrics in general the largest objection raised is the cost of the battery. I am afraid I do not have a good answer to give them.

I've been asked this once or twice, and my best knee jerk response was saying that the battery pack in an EV is the one big money item that makes it all work, whereas in a 911 Turbo the engine is the key component … and if you neglect a leaking sump plug causing the engine to seize then you'll find a new 911 engine will cost more than a new Tesla pack, and both cars are in a similar price bracket.

Some geddit, others just say that a new battery for a 911 costs $100 :rolleyes:

Even as an EV owner I really see this as a problem. Lets say you are away at a summer home, two month mission trip, long vacation and there is a storm and the breaker trips on the car.

If there is a storm and the breaker trips that means you left it plugged in, so it started with a full charge and you've got penty of time to take your 2 month trip. When we leave on a 2 week vacation we have someone check the house from time to time, do people really go away for more than 3 months without anyone checking their house is ok?

Another possibility is last year I had a bad bicycle accident and if it were not for my helmet I would not be writing. A few months in the hospital suddenly became a possibility. Since my wife has no desire to drive the Tesla would she verify it was plugged in?

Good that you're well and fit. There are visual and audible alarms that sound 24 hours a day for 7 days.....your wife wouldn't have noticed?

So far we know of 1 'bricked' roadster due to plain neglect, but the original smear campaign alluded to 4 others than have never been substantiated. And even if they are real, were they due to neglect or faults with the initial batch of debug cars ? Even so, 1 big failure in 2,500 cars is probably lower percentage than major faults in other sports cars of similar value.

But I have a question - of all the roadsters out there, have there been ANY motors that have failed ?

Maybe this is one of those cases where an EV isn't the right car for everyone at this time. If you're likely to take a few 3 month long trips in the next few years and aren't able to get someone to check on your house once a month then an EV might not be right for you until the battery packs or technology get so large or improve to the point where even in storage mode at 50% you could be gone for longer than 3 months (which you can in the Model S it looks like). I honestly think people are looking for that one in a million case where everything could go wrong. This could happen I guess but so could a tree falling into your garage and ruining your ICE or EV. Things happen.

I like how the blogger distracts from the RTFM comment by pointing to a video from Jay Leno but dodges that RTFM or his friend's responsibility. He still doesn't acknowledge it is his business partner.

Also, he states "It’s not clear when Tesla began having new Roadster buyers sign this form". Does anyone know?