Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you live life, 120 Volts at a time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all! New M3P owner here.

My delivery date was two month ahead of time so I didn’t think to start looking for electricians to install yet, though I haven’t minded charging with the mobile charger on a standard 5-15 for a few weeks. I live also within 15 minutes of a 250kw supercharger and work from home most days. Im starting to think I might not need to install a 240V NEMA 14-50 or wall charger.

Is there any long term, low voltage owners? Or is this going to bite me in the butt later on?

If you are working from home and don’t drive more than 25 miles or so in a day, should be fine. I have been doing this for 1 1/2 years with no problem. I charge to 80% normally and if I am going to be going on the road, I charge up to 90% 2 nights before and then 100% night/ morning before.

Reactions: NyanM3P
If your circumstances don’t change I don’t see how L1 will ever ‘bite you in the butt’ but if you do start driving more you will be glad to have L2.
If you rent then the nearby supercharger becomes more important, if you own and can install L2 you may never need to go to that supercharger.

Hey all! New M3P owner here.

My delivery date was two month ahead of time so I didn’t think to start looking for electricians to install yet, though I haven’t minded charging with the mobile charger on a standard 5-15 for a few weeks. I live also within 15 minutes of a 250kw supercharger and work from home most days. Im starting to think I might not need to install a 240V NEMA 14-50 or wall charger.

Is there any long term, low voltage owners? Or is this going to bite me in the butt later on?

Like others said. Unless you often have to drive a long distance on short notice you should be fine. Especially if your mostly likely emergency trip goes by your close-by Supercharger.

Thank you all for weighing in! I suppose most new EV owners go through the same thoughts I have. I realized how little I drive during the week and can easily refill over night.

Been really lurking around here for answers to my recent questions and this forum has been amazing. Cheers!

It will almost certainly bite you in the arse eventually and you'll probably need to charge every other day, which is annoying and puts more wear and tear on your charge port and cable.

Another important consideration is most 120V outlets have lights and other plugs on the circuit, so it's really not ideal to be charging a vehicle especially at the full 12A.

If you're worried about cost or overloading your panel, 6-15 and 6-20 outlets significantly cut down on material costs and installation complexity if you want to go the DIY route. If you have to hire an electrician most of the cost will be in labor and permit, so it would make sense to just do a 14-50 (either 40A 8awg or 50A 6awg) if you're panel can support the load.

When we travel and rent a cottage or stay at a B&B/resort we often live on 120v for a week or more at a time. We have also stayed at places with 240v and/or some kind of formal destination charging. 120v is livable but can be a pain. It has not, so far, stopped us from doing what we want but has required a bit more planning.
Keep in mind that if you drive 40km/day and have time of use electricity rates and charge only during the cheap times you will save atleast 50cents every day on electricity costs. A 240v installation will pay for itself in a few years (6-15 and 6-20 outlets while not as fast as some options are also cheaper to install) plus it is more convenient and less worry as the unexpected urgent long trip will come up eventually for most of us. You have to calculate it for your location.

Back in 2017 when we had Electra, I was working away from home staying at an apartment. We rented one of their garages for the Model S. We ensured they were ok with us charging the car using their 120V. There were no plugs along the wall so I purchased the largest wire extension cord and hooked it up where the light was located. I used a small LED light so to not pull much power for light. This worked for us for the year we had the car. Any day trips we would head over to the supercharger and top up while eating a breakfast sandwich. We didn't use the car every day so that would help with ensuring we had plenty power at any given time.

I still miss that car. It was only a 75 RWD only but it was our first Tesla and our dream car. Here's hoping one day to own a plaid and re badge it with a 75 in remembrance of Electra.

1665003617353.png