Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you park in London?…Alert!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As from April 8th 2024 the parking ,in for instance Westminster , at .96p for the full 4 hours in bay will stop..All EV owners will be charged depending on their zone but it looks like the 0.96p for four hours will become just over £4.00 per hour even although they still maintain it is primarily emissions based

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Yes I received the text too.

We always knew it was too good to last forever. At least we've enjoyed it for a while....
As EVs are becoming mainstream sadly it makes sense that the early-adopter perks we had are going away...

2024 / 2025 will mark the end of all EVs incentives : discounted parking / congestion charge / VED.... no wonder why the sales are slowing down...

I'm guessing someone in government ran the numbers and it was no longer a priority / economically relevant for a green transition to subsidise this...

Teslas are ubiquitous in Westminster.

Brace for the £12.50 /day congestion charge for EVs with the exemption ending in October 2025...

Last edited:
I presume you meant 96p/10 min for 4 hours (£5.76/hour) in zones F+G is reducing to £4.62/hour (77p/10 min), which is a drop in price?

Wow @ the £40/£80 (70 kWh+) per year residential EV permits, previously no charge.
Not sure I understand your post.

It was around a quid (depends on if you wanted to pay for text reminder) for "10 minutes" which allowed for 4 hours of parking.

I presume you meant 96p/10 min for 4 hours (£5.76/hour) in zones F+G is reducing to £4.62/hour (77p/10 min), which is a drop in price?

Wow @ the £40/£80 (70 kWh+) per year residential EV permits, previously no charge.
Westminster had an exemption where as an EV owner you could pay for just 10 mins and park for the maximum allowed time (usually 4 hours unless sign says otherwise). Effectively making it 96p for 4 hours, so 24p an hour.

We shouldn't have grown to accustomed to that but it remains essentially a 20x or 2000% increase.

omg...
I have to go to Embassy, near Vauxhall bridge.. on 5th of April.

I wonder if this still makes sense to drive there by car (arriving M1) or to take the painfully expensive Jubilee from Stanmore :/

what is parking situation at around Pimlico during work day morning?

omg...
I have to go to Embassy, near Vauxhall bridge.. on 5th of April.

I wonder if this still makes sense to drive there by car (arriving M1) or to take the painfully expensive Jubilee from Stanmore :/

what is parking situation at around Pimlico during work day morning?
Not sure how long it typically takes inside but an hour of parking will still be marginally less expensive than a return tube fare.
And depending of your projected SoC & need to return, you can use a Source London charger if there's one nearby. They are 60p/kWh but at least parking is included...

EDIT: The text I got actually states the increase starts on Monday the 8th, so you're all good to pay for just 10 mins parking anywhere you can find a P&D bay around next Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alset2go
cool!
so let me get this straight:
you buy 10 minutes parking and then.. can park for 4 hrs?!
Yes. In Westminster only. And it's not necessarily 4 hours, it's for the 'Max stay' length mentioned on the signs. Always check the signs.

Also the RingGo app has made no arrangements to highlight the EV exemption, so you will be under the impression that you only bought 10 mins parking and that it has expired after that time. But in practice the Parking Warden will see that you bought the 10 mins and will not give you a PCN if you're still within the max stay length (2-4 hours).

At least you'll get to use it once before it goes away!

And of course if you havent driven in London before, you should be registered for the Congestion Charge exemption. It costs £10 to register for a year.
Even if you have an EV and are exempt, if you don't, you will still receive a £130 fine...

Yes. In Westminster only. And it's not necessarily 4 hours, it's for the 'Max stay' length mentioned on the signs. Always check the signs.

Also the RingGo app has made no arrangements to highlight the EV exemption, so you will be under the impression that you only bought 10 mins parking and that it has expired after that time. But in practice the Parking Warden will see that you bought the 10 mins and will not give you a PCN if you're still within the max stay length (2-4 hours).

At least you'll get to use it once before it goes away!

And of course if you havent driven in London before, you should be registered for the Congestion Charge exemption. It costs £10 to register for a year.
Even if you have an EV and are exempt, if you don't, you will still receive a £130 fine...
I think I registered for all - dart charge, ulez (it said I do not need it) and congestion.

life will be a bit easier I think if I just go by car.. but I understand it might take well much more time... google gives me between 2.5 and 4 hrs :D do no know which one to bet on o Friday Morning rush hour (although school holiday)

although not sure.. looks like it will be significantly easier to travel by tube.. albeit more expensive

Last edited:
Sounds like I quit working in central London just in time! I occasionally used this when driving in for a late shift, which certainly made life cheaper. Together with the CC discount going, central London will be a no-drive zone.

although not sure.. looks like it will be significantly easier to travel by tube.. albeit more expensive
Don’t know where and how you are travelling from? If you are using train then obviously you are not saving a lot on top of tubes. There are places around major stations where you can park for 12hrs for £15 if you are not sure about how long the work will take?

Reactions: Js1977
Wasn’t aware of the shortly no longer available four hours parking option mentioned in the opening post, might have come in useful on the odd occasion.

That said, when I do park in London I usually use this site and book a spot somewhere convenient beforehand…

Coming On M1 and most likely will park Stanmore
The better option is if you come further down Brent Cross shopping centre is free parking - has 2 SCs (both working if you need before you leave - it is at the red car park level 2 - the food court is directly below at level 1 if you need to eat) and various charge point chargers 22kw for slow charging. There are open parking spaces and covered. There is an American car wash if you fancy a wash before you leave, and autoglass windscreen repair on the spot. From Brent Cross station you can take the northern line and change at Warren Street to take Victoria line to Vauxhall. You save money for parking and can use that for some coffee and biscuits.

Last edited:
The better option is if you come further down Brent Cross shopping centre is free parking - has 2 SCs (both working if you need before you leave - it is at the red car park level 2 - the food court is directly below at level 1 if you need to eat) and various charge point chargers 22kw for slow charging. There are open parking spaces and covered. There is an American car wash if you fancy a wash before you leave, and autoglass windscreen repair on the spot. From Brent Cross station you can take the northern line and change at Warren Street to take Victoria line to Vauxhall. You save money for parking and can use that for some coffee and biscuits.
thanks!

I have checked maps, looks like Brent Cross tube is closed at least until Friday morning. will check on the spot.

but in both ways, looks like tube journey is the same time wise.
stanmore is like 6 gbp per day, which is not bad, and less driving into london.

but as mentioned, I might try Brent Cross on Friday, if tube will be open..

issue is I need to be at Vauxhall bridge at around 9 am :/