Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those of you that have the Full Self Driving
If you had to do it over again, would you do it at the current $8k price?

I've been teetering on the ledge wanting to order a model Y.
All along I've pretty much decided that I would include the FSD.

Anyway, my biggest tripping point is load/towing capacity. I have a boat, and while the gross weight of it is well within the capacity for the Y, the tongue weight is just a bit high as the trailer is configured right now. That coupled with the limited cargo capacity in the car, it's not the ideal thing for me. It's close though.... and seems to be about the best choice for me to get into an EV.

That said, my other tipping point is overall price.
So, that set me to thinking about the $8k for FSD. Honestly I'm not sure how much I'd really use it as it is currently...or even if FSD comes reality. I do like the idea of it though...and want it for the tech. Still, $8,000.....

So anyway, would you buy it again?

Reactions: CO_MY
I bought it for my 3 about a month ago when it went on sale at the end of the quarter. At this point I'd say no, don't buy it.

I've had my 3 for almost two years now and it came with Enhanced Auto Pilot. At that time autosteer and adaptive cruise control were not included as standard as they are today. I use those two features every day on my 30 minute commute to work. I have a high degree of confidence in them relative to the FSD package which is more of a toy/kinda-cool-to-play-with feature at this point. No doubt it will get better but today the value isn't there for me.

I'm considering trading my 3 in for a Y and I plan to forego FSD after my experience with it in my 3.

I ordered FSD when I pre ordered the Y on launch day... $6000. Glad I did. Price will keep going up. Its a tech laden car - if I wanted to go inexpensive I wouldn't have bought the car. Having said that - at this point - wait - why not.

FSD is a joke. I have had vehicles with and without it.

Basic autopilot does 80+% of what FSD does.

You’re paying $8K for summon, auto park, navigate on AP, and street light recognition. Most of those features work 50% of the time at best.

It’s also the only software license where you cannot take the software with you to your next purchase.

As an owner, it’s a terrible deal.
As a shareholder, please buy it.

yeah...I really don't care about summon or autopark. Maybe many years from now when those things might be better perfected they might be mildly interesting to me...but by then I'll likely be in a different car anyway. The navigate on autopliot is more interesting to me. The stoplight thing....I suppose that's like a better adaptive cruise control? That does sound cool.

yeah...I really don't care about summon or autopark. Maybe many years from now when those things might be better perfected they might be mildly interesting to me...but by then I'll likely be in a different car anyway. The navigate on autopliot is more interesting to me. The stoplight thing....I suppose that's like a better adaptive cruise control? That does sound cool.
NOA is cool if you do a lot of highway driving.
Stoplight recognition was just released and is very finicky.

Both are cool features but not $8,000 cool for me.

I’d pay more than 8k for FSD if it also came with better blindspot, cross traffic, backup, and a VR heads-up display. Of course, these driver assist features go against the FSD philosophy

In the past it’s been a loan to Tesla. Maybe they’ll actually release it soon, but even the regulatory challenges will be years imo

Reactions: drdumont
I had EAP and FSD on my M3 which I owned for 2 years. I only used the FSD 1 time in that entire time. I wasn’t comfortable with the way the car responded. Never tried Summons or AutoPark. I use TACC everyday and once in a while use AutoSteer. I did not purchase FSD with my MY and I don’t miss it at all. I was always listening to Elon when he’d say in next 6 months or by year-end, FSD will be completely operational, but it never made it. I’m still waiting for TACC to be 100% even though I use it every day. At least a couple times a week, it will suddenly start slowing down like the brakes have been applied. I’m always driving with my foot ready to hit the accelerator if the car decides to do this so I can avoid getting rear-ended. I love my Tesla but just think that FSD is truly in the future and I’m not sure I’ll still have the car when it finally does work.

FSD is the only thing I honestly love about the car so far. Nav on Autopilot and Auto lane change are just incredible for freeway driving. Auto lane change totally amplifies safety at high speeds. Had few instances of FSD safely retracting a lane change detecting some raging vehicles behind. I also use summon every now and then to get vehicle in and out of our garage which has not much wiggle room after the car is parked . FSD is one purchase I am happy about , even more than the car with all its fitment issues

I don't regret it and paid $7,000 for it. For what it does now and the future expectations, it was worth it to me. Everything is relative however. People pay that sum and more for premium audio systems in other car brands while others here scoff at paying $300 on Homelink.

Reactions: same