Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all marketing bs, if I have autopilot engaged and I see an upcoming complex driving situation, I take over. Autopilot drives like an old Asian woman, not for everyone
Good point, I tried to tell my friends that don't believe the BS. There's a huge difference between City Driving vs Highway Driving. Most autopilot miles are on the highway while most city driving are without autopilot.
Want an apple to apple comparison, compare autopilot miles driven vs regular highway miles driven.
The comparison of autopilot vs non autopilot reminds me of a joke - When someone heard that most accidents occur within 1 miles of the person's resident, he/she moved.

Reactions: P3dStealth
FSD is not for today or for tomorrow, it's the future, and how much of a part of it do you want, EV's same way, I remember people saying that won't work, you will still need gas, can't go very far, cost to much, is FSD safer, maybe, maybe not, will it ever get to where we want it sure will and more, and it's fun, I'm glad I have it, I want more, I want to see where it's going and be part of it. Cost too much, yes, way too much, the cost will come down in time. Tesla and cars like that are here to stay, I see no future for gas cars, none, it's over. I'm starting to feel like that about cars you will need to drive, no future.

FSD is not for today or for tomorrow, it's the future, and how much of a part of it do you want, EV's same way, I remember people saying that won't work, you will still need gas, can't go very far, cost to much, is FSD safer, maybe, maybe not, will it ever get to where we want it sure will and more, and it's fun, I'm glad I have it, I want more, I want to see where it's going and be part of it. Cost too much, yes, way too much, the cost will come down in time. Tesla and cars like that are here to stay, I see no future for gas cars, none, it's over. I'm starting to feel like that about cars you will need to drive, no future.

Sure, but how much of a future are we talking? 2, 5 10? I care about what I can buy and use in the next 2 years. 5 years out, as a consumer I’ll wait and see how the industry/infrastructure/regulation grows. I already fund R&D with my taxes.

I think paying $8k today ($10k tomorrow) to have fun and beta test for Tesla is a good way to look at it =)
I didn't pay that much, started with EAP, bought FSD on sale 2000.00, upgraded to MCU2, HW3, AP3, FSD Computer, all for 6000.00 on my 2017 MS75, some people spend that much and more on other upgrades, see it all the time in here, depends on what you like and what makes you happy, I very happy I got FSD. Seeing now that most car manufactures are going that way, WHY?, Do you think it's because it sells?

I think the price for FSD went up $2k today (to $10k).

I've been watching the new FSD beta test videos, in addition to others, and one thing I still don't see is the dreaded phantom braking. I know phantom braking all to common to some posters on TMC and other free and anonymous forums.

I've been watching the new FSD beta test videos, in addition to others, and one thing I still don't see is the dreaded phantom braking. I know phantom braking all to common to some posters on TMC and other free and anonymous forums.

Phantom braking was most likely a localized issue (at least for the last year or so). Some people may have had it daily and thus complained a lot but it was probably because they took the same route day after day. I didn't use AP too frequently since I didn't have FSD (so it was only really useful on highways) but when I did I only noticed phantom braking once or twice in a whole year.

It's also likely Tesla wasn't really pushing fixes to stuff like that as much since they were working on getting stop light stop sign control out AND the re-write of FSD (which we see now).

It's not like the Tesla was braking every minute or so all over the place, just specific routes or locations that confused it (probably under 5% of the time, maybe even under 1%).

I was still able to upgrade for $8k this morning. Not sure if the change had not yet happened or if it was available to me at $8k because I ordered in July.

After rejecting the first offering, VIN 25225 on 01 August, we have been waiting for quality to improve. We are not scheduled to VIN match until 01/01/2021 or later.

My thoughts are, I've still got two months (or longer if I push it off again) to see what Tesla does with FSD through the end of the year (possibly into next year). If I don't like what I see, I'll have it removed or cancel the order. Save $2k or lose $100, possibly $0. Seemed like a no-brainer.

Increased on my app as well as my Tesla account via browser. I ultimately did not bite.
Don't feel too bad, think of it in a different perspective, use the 10k you just saved and invest that in Tesla stock. In 5 years, that's when FSD will likely be tested, updated, improved thanks to the *beta* guinea pigs, you can then use the gains from Tesla stock and buy the much more stable FSD even if it's 15k by then. If I have to bet, FSD will be CHEAPER. Because in the world of DATA and potential robotaxi, Tesla needs MORE people to have FSD not less. Also remember Elon's promise of a 25k car, that will be FSD capable? Will any sane person buying a 25k car spend 10k or more on FSD?

Yea I'm going to spend 10k on something that doesn't work and likely won't work in the time I own the car. C'mon guys.

In two years you will all be buying tesla model 3.5 with long range radar and twice the range. Stop giving tesla free money.

Reactions: hlin07
Yea I'm going to spend 10k on something that doesn't work and likely won't work in the time I own the car. C'mon guys.

In two years you will all be buying tesla model 3.5 with long range radar and twice the range. Stop giving tesla free money.
I don’t feel bad at all. If anything I feel bad about having paid for it on my prior S and getting zero real return. Now, at 8k and no promise when even the new beta will meet the masses, it’s just too much money to drop on a maybe, especially on a tech product that will have to drop in price once competitors catch up. And they will. May take a while, but it will.

I think Tesla tried at one time to move FSD more into the mainstream and to attract more Tesla buyers into it, particularly when they had the $2k fire sale for those with EAP. But a number of people that ordered it earlier at a higher price complained, and Tesla seems to now be moving to the FOMO method to get people to sign up.

Like most everyone else I want a program where FSD follows the person who bought it, and for me I’d be in all day, and probably a life-long Tesla buyer.

There is a hard phantom brake at 1:55 in this video. You can even hear them all complain in the car. It's way worse when it happens on highway at 70.

There is a hard phantom brake at 1:55 in this video. You can even hear them all complain in the car. It's way worse when it happens on highway at 70.

I wouldn't call that a phantom brake, that was fairly "tight" between the truck and the double yellow line, also the truck appears to have brake lights on (not sure if FSD takes that into count as a possible moving vehicle compared to a parked car). A true phantom brake is on a clear road (vehicle ahead of you by at least a handful of car lengths) and no objects near your lane.

My car will get cautions a couple times with traffic cones blocking a lane off, but it always seems to be a cone that is slightly more into my lane than the rest (sometimes by what looks like two or three inches!) when the car will shed 3 to 5 mph before returning to speed again.

I doubt we would call that a phantom brake if the Tesla started slowing down four or five car lengths before that truck and ultimately pass it at 50% of it's normal speed or something. Most humans would do that (never know when that driver side door is going to swing open) OR they would cross the double yellow lines if it's clear. If you just cruise by cars like that at full speed without giving a little you're asking to hit them if a door swings open or something.

I think a large refinement is at ~1:30. It's taking that left turn very shallow and in fact has to drop speed and correct a lot because of the parked car right in front of it. That probably should have been calculated better from the get go... it's like it didn't identify those spaces as parking spaces until it was half way done with the turn...