Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I figure that it will go up more and eventually when I sell my car that my FSD Tesla from the same year, mileage, etc. will be worth a good deal more then the same car not FSD. Simply because if someone wants to have FSD Tesla they will have to pay a good deal more to add it.

Nope. I figure that it will go up more and eventually when I sell my car that my FSD Tesla from the same year, mileage, etc. will be worth a good deal more then the same car not FSD. Simply because if someone wants to have FSD Tesla they will have to pay a good deal more to add it.

That's assuming all things are equal. I would never expect FSD to cause my resell value to go up. If I'm lucky I might be able to maintain value from FSD because the upgrade price keeps going up, but that's it.

If my car can do ~320 miles and actually only 300 because of battery degradation and a new car can do 375 miles, has a full warranty, is brand new, maybe has a "better" paint color, and had a couple thousand dollar price cut on the car, that's going to make it FAR more attractive that my used car with "cheap" FSD. In fact, if in the next 12 months Elon is able to drop the price of the Model Y by $1,500 to $2,000 (not terribly unrealistic as more competition shows up) and FSD doesn't increase any more, you've essentially removed any effect of the $2,000 FSD price increase for us existing owners that got in before the bump. Now add a few extra miles of range AND factor in our cars now having five or ten thousand miles on them and our value goes down while the new value "stays the same."

Don't expect to make more off FSD.

That's assuming all things are equal. I would never expect FSD to cause my resell value to go up. If I'm lucky I might be able to maintain value from FSD because the upgrade price keeps going up, but that's it.

If my car can do ~320 miles and actually only 300 because of battery degradation and a new car can do 375 miles, has a full warranty, is brand new, maybe has a "better" paint color, and had a couple thousand dollar price cut on the car, that's going to make it FAR more attractive that my used car with "cheap" FSD. In fact, if in the next 12 months Elon is able to drop the price of the Model Y by $1,500 to $2,000 (not terribly unrealistic as more competition shows up) and FSD doesn't increase any more, you've essentially removed any effect of the $2,000 FSD price increase for us existing owners that got in before the bump. Now add a few extra miles of range AND factor in our cars now having five or ten thousand miles on them and our value goes down while the new value "stays the same."

Don't expect to make more off FSD.

Yep, Tesla has been dropping the price of the car and upgrading a few things every year. Even the new model Y is already getting laminated glass and a new center console. The model S just dropped in price by like 2k. Good luck trying to convince me to buy your beta fsd. I wouldn't buy a hw2 model 3 with fsd right now even.

Everyone in the Tesla forum is also still assuming tesla is going to be alone in the self driving vehicle market. This just isn't true. So many car manufacturers are working on self driving tech now. Some have self driving vehicles already but they don't use consumers as beta testers for 10k. I bet we will be driving hands free in city streets in GM with ultra cruise (targeted 2023) or bmw with mobile eye before tesla is out of beta.

I expect this to be a common feature on vehicles in 4 years and with that will be competitive pricing.

Side note: nobody seemed to have notice the Hummer EV has 18 cameras for some reason.

"Ultra Cruise would be all the Super Cruise, plus neighborhoods, cities, subdivisions."

Last edited:
Yep, Tesla has been dropping the price of the car and upgrading a few things every year. Even the new model Y is already getting laminated glass and a new center console. The model S just dropped in price by like 2k. Good luck trying to convince me to buy your beta fsd. I wouldn't buy a hw2 model 3 with fsd right now even.

Everyone in the Tesla forum is also still assuming tesla is going to be alone in the self driving vehicle market. This just isn't true. So many car manufacturers are working on self driving tech now. Some have self driving vehicles already but they don't use consumers as beta testers for 10k. I bet we will be driving hands free in city streets in GM with ultra cruise (targeted 2023) or bmw with mobile eye before tesla is out of beta.

I expect this to be a common feature on vehicles in 4 years and with that will be competitive pricing.

Side note: nobody seemed to have notice the Hummer EV has 18 cameras for some reason.

"Ultra Cruise would be all the Super Cruise, plus neighborhoods, cities, subdivisions."

I do actually think Tesla is either at the front, or near the front of the pack. The big issue will be regulatory stuff. If you’re thinking of selling your car in 2 or 3 years, don’t buy FSD, wait for subscription options to come out next year, even at $200/mo it would be cheaper for two years to subscribe.

If you’re keeping the car for 5+ years... it’s just so hard to think a 5 year old car will be worth more than you paid for it as long as Tesla keeps making new cars, even if FSD goes up another $5k.

Now I DO think a used car (private party sale) with FSD will sell slightly higher (maybe two or three thousand more) than the same used car without FSD... assuming improvements continue and there isn’t massive negative press (such as a roll back of features because of regulatory intervention or something.)

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I think FSD does worse than it was hyped at this point. Even as a beta. This release is just marketing.

It does horrible in this video and nothing in the video is what I would consider a challenging situation.

I am more afraid of the Idiot flying that drone illegally over pedestrian areas, power lines, and in and out of the cars camera sensors. All while in the car transmitting the signal. What a goof.

It's funny I am totally opposite most people in the forum. My biggest regret is buying the car. I should have leased it. I think we are maybe 4 or 5 years away from fsd actually being useful instead of more of a hindrance to driving. I think in 2 years we will see significant hardware bumps in all models and maybe even exterior updates. I think like my cell phone or laptop or even my dji drone... The car we have now will still work but it won't be able to do what the next model will. 5g is here and V2X is just around the corner. The model 3 that's released after fsd is fully developed will be far more functional.

I've had the car a year and only put 7000miles on it. I should have leased it.

I also don't believe in the sending your car out as a taxi thing ever working or being profitable for the average person due to regulatory, liability and use deterioration. Not to mention competition.

I do have an idea tesla should consider.

You lease the car new from tesla. Every 3 years they take it back and now it's a used car in their tesla taxi fleet. 3 years in the fleet it's likely end of life. Tesla recycles it. They give the leasing people some kind of incentive that keeps growing if they stay with Tesla and are in good shape when returning the vehicles.

I think FSD is an excellent Driver Education package. After a few thousand miles of Navigate on AutoPilot, you learn quick reactions to the most bizarre of situations. It's almost as much fun as a pinball machine and nearly as predictable. ;)

Seriously? Money is not a big deal for me. I've paid $10k for nicer wheels before. So FSD is OK if only for entertainment purposes.
But if money was important, normal AP is a far better value.

I think FSD is an excellent Driver Education package. After a few thousand miles of Navigate on AutoPilot, you learn quick reactions to the most bizarre of situations. It's almost as much fun as a pinball machine and nearly as predictable. ;)

Seriously? Money is not a big deal for me. I've paid $10k for nicer wheels before. So FSD is OK if only for entertainment purposes.
But if money was important, normal AP is a far better value.

Spinners? So worth it in their time.