Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use Electrify America as a Tesla owner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where are we on charging our Teslas at EA?
Go to Controls > Software > More Vehicle Information and if your car is CCS capable, you can order the CCS adaptor from the Tesla Korea website using a re-shipper.

If it not enabled, you are stuck waiting for Tesla to release an upgrade package. If you are feeling brave, there are a couple of DIY threads here on TMC.

Go to Controls > Software > More Vehicle Information and if your car is CCS capable, you can order the CCS adaptor from the Tesla Korea website using a re-shipper.

If it not enabled, you are stuck waiting for Tesla to release an upgrade package. If you are feeling brave, there are a couple of DIY threads here on TMC.
There's also Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter, which has been discontinued but can be bought second-hand on eBay, typically for $600 to $1200; and the Setec/Lectron CCS adapter, which is available new for $640, but Tesla's been finding ways to disable it via Tesla firmware updates because of alleged (but credible, IMHO) safety concerns. (Setec has been countering via their own firmware updates.) Both of these adapters are limited to 50 kW charging. (Theoretically, the Setec/Lectron adapter can go up to 80 kW, but the car limits it to 50 kW.) IMHO, neither of these is a good choice for a new Tesla; they're more expensive than Tesla's CCS1 adapter and they charge at lower rates. CHAdeMO is also a fading standard; it's useful today but its utility will be dropping in the next few years. Buyers of new cars would do better with Tesla's CCS1 adapter, although right now North American drivers need to rely on grey-market imports, as @omarsultan outlines. The CHAdeMO and/or Setec/Lectron adapters are still useful to drivers of older cars (those sold before 2020-ish; I'm not sure of the exact cutoff date), since they don't include the CCS support that Tesla's adapter requires. I've heard of people doing the required hardware swaps to get the Tesla adapter to work with their older cars, and Tesla might (or might not) offer such an upgrade themselves when they officially release the adapter in the US, so that's an option worth considering, too.

I think someone mentioned you can still buy the Chademo adapter from Tesla Korea, and use the same proxy service that people have been using for the CCS adapter... From what I remember people saying, getting the Chademo Adapter from Korea and using the proxy is still way cheaper than buying one from eBay.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and srs5694