Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using a CCS Combo Adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I didn't opt for free supercharging when I bought Angel II, my new 2023 MX. I notice that she does support the CCS adapter (based on the settings). So I bought a third-party CSS adapter from Amazon and tied it out. I had not used an Electrify America charger before so this might be part of the issues I experienced. When I tried to log on, it failed and as I fumbled around trying to get the charger to work Angel tried to close the charger door. At this point, I tried to pull out the CSS adapter for fear the door would be damaged. I was able to get it disconnected with considerable effort.

Is this typical of CCS use?

I returned the CCS adapter to Amazon and got a full refund. I plan to buy the (more expensive) Tesla adapter and try again. I have an Electrify America account now so that should make it easier to use.

I notice that EA prices are far higher than my utility charges me for my home charging station. $.48 vs $.12/kWh

Basically:

1.) Turn on the desired CCS charger via their phone app or on-screen menus.

2.) Plug the stations CCS plug into the adapter, and then plug the adapter into the car.

In an ideal world, charging should then commence. Sometimes people have reported better luck reversing steps 1 and 2...

You can enroll in their $4/month plan and buy the per-kWh rate down a bit. Exact amount varies depending on location.

Reactions: Falcon73
CCS is a great backup to the Supercharger network, but functionality can be clunky. I stop charging on the EA cabinet, then go to the display screen in the car to disconnect the charger plug. Then go pull the whole assembly out of the charge port. Then discon the adapter from the CCS gigantic charge cable.

Reactions: preilly44
Yes. I found this to be the way to go in my case. Make sure the adapter clicks firmly onto the CCS handle *before* putting the adapter/handle in the charge port. Our MX fought me when I tried to put in the adapter first.

It must be done by plugging the charger plug into the adapter first, then plugging the combination of the two into the car. Otherwise the locking gets messed up.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
A Tesla mobile tech installed the CCS retrofit in my 2018 M3 LR on Tuesday. I tried it today at a ChargePoint location. There is a ChargePoint station about ten minutes from me at ChargePoint Driver Portal. Daytime rate is $.39/kWh, night time is $.19. This compares to the nearest Supercharger at Google Maps where the rate is $.39 all the time. There is another Supercharger location at Google Maps the rates range from $.10 to $.22.

I had the ChargePoint app on my phone and even had a few bucks in my account from my old Leaf. Aside from pinching my finger attaching the adapter to the CCS plug, starting the charge was no problem. The station is rated at 125 kW. When I started the charge, I was only getting 22 kWh. The screen said the battery was cold, limiting the charge. Until third party chargers show up in navigation, I see no way to precondition the battery. I could have preconditioned it at home before starting out and may try that some time. While I am unlikely to use CCS much, I would like it available as there are places which have CCS chargers and no nearby Superchargers. I can turn the heat on, but that might not warm up the battery. It wouldn't be much fun in the Summer.

Any thoughts on how to best use a CCS charger?

I see no way to precondition the battery. I could have preconditioned it at home before starting out and may try that some time.
(My bold added.) Those two words mean two totally different things, thanks to Tesla being incredibly confusing. In the first usage of the word, you're right, that Tesla doesn't make available any way to turn on that battery heating in preparation for charging if it is not navigating and driving to one of their Superchargers (TM).

In the second usage of the word, it's just turning on the interior cabin heating. That doesn't even try to heat up the battery to real fast charging temperature. It will just, as a side effect of cabin warming, also get the battery up to just above freezing if it was that cold.

Any thoughts on how to best use a CCS charger?
Just plug in. There's not really much more you can do, except for maybe one thing. If you have a bit of a distance to drive to the CCS station, you can try to fool it by changing your navigation to tell it that you are going to a Supercharger nearby instead. Then the car will pre-warm. But of course, if there were a Supercharger nearby, you probably wouldn't have any need to use a CCS station.

The app adds to the confusion about what is being preheated under schedule.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404-173102.png
    Screenshot_20240404-173102.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 8