Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you wipe down the plug at the Supercharger?

With the COVID-19 threat, when you back into a SC spot, do you use a disinfecting wipe on the plug?

• Of course, are you insane? I wipe when I plug in and when I unplug.

• Yes, when I plug it in.

• Not really worried about it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been wondering whether others are concerned about the presence of coronavirus at Superchargers. So, I thought it would be cool to see what everyone's sanitation habits are when they pull in for a charge.

I haven't really noticed whether others are sanitizing the plug since most folks don't stay out of their cars for long.

I have also noticed that there seems to be a lot fewer people supercharging. Virginia has not chained us to our homes yet like some states but there is still a lot less traveling.

Please let folks in the other forums know about this survey.

when I'm out of the house, gloves are on.

I need the SC since I have no home charging and work charging is on-hold since I'm not 'at' work.

I generally hit the SC just to keep the battery with some charge in it. the car has been sitting mostly unused since around feb this year. (at least I can say that I'm saving money on NOT wearing out tires, lol)

my local SC (shoreline area, mtn view) has 2 cars there, out of 10 or so possible. yes, very light use.

I have been wondering whether others are concerned about the presence of coronavirus at Superchargers. So, I thought it would be cool to see what everyone's sanitation habits are when they pull in for a charge.

I haven't really noticed whether others are sanitizing the plug since most folks don't stay out of their cars for long.

I have also noticed that there seems to be a lot fewer people supercharging. Virginia has not chained us to our homes yet like some states but there is still a lot less traveling.

Please let folks in the other forums know about this survey.
You should add an option for, “why are you charging away from the house?!”

I understand people need to run errands, but if you’re at a supercharger, you’re doing more than just a to-and-from-the-grocery-store.

Reactions: VikH
In VA we are socially distancing but not personally locked down. Most retail is shut down as is most personal service businesses. I guess the difference is that we are not chained to our homes.
I don't know of any place in this country where people are literally or even figuratively "chained" to their homes. You're still allowed to go out for essential needs, such as grocery stores, pharmacies, doctors, picking up food curbside from restaurants, dropping car off for repairs, going out for a walk/run in your neighborhood, etc. In some locales, you may need to wear face covering while outdoors.

However, if you've tested positive for the virus then, yes, you should definitely self-quarantined at home.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
This is slightly OT, but since I am the OP, I am pulling rank. ;)

In the short run we may end up with less flu, common cold, COVID, etc. due to our vigilance in keeping clean and keeping our distance. In the long run, however, I am not sure that it won't make us more susceptible to communicable diseases because we will be losing the herd immunity which has protected us for so long. Yes, there are black swans like COVID-19 that come along and are both highly communicable and highly contagious, but by and large, most just make us sick for a while. Interesting that we are just now finding that many more (as much as 50x more) people may have been infected with COVID-19 as previously suspected, and they never even knew it.

I doubt that I will ever be quite as "fast and loose" with what I touch anymore. I think we all have been changed by this.

• Informative
All I see in parking lots at stores and malls are blue gloves on the ground and in the trash. Gloves are a very wasteful way to touch things and also more likely to hold contamination longer. There are easier, more economical and eco friendly ways to sanitize. Then does one sit in the car with a dirty glove on or put on another to unplug? Seems very wasteful and inefficient.

All I see in parking lots at stores and malls are blue gloves on the ground and in the trash. Gloves are a very wasteful way to touch things and also more likely to hold contamination longer. There are easier, more economical and eco friendly ways to sanitize. Then does one sit in the car with a dirty glove on or put on another to unplug? Seems very wasteful and inefficient.
The couple times I've ventured out I just shake my head at all the people with gloves and masks, touching stuff and then adjusting their mask with contaminated hands, or pulling the mask down to sip their starbucks. Then they always have two or three kids running around with them (WHY DID YOU BRING YOUR KIDS SHOPPING!?!).

I keep a jug of sanitizer in the car cup holder. I open the car door, sit down, and lather up. Not touching my face has been a hard habit to start. It's almost involuntary to wipe your eyes or scratch a itch on your nose.

• Informative
Yes, in most cases gloves for the general public make things worse as they hold germs longer and act as a vehicle for cross contamination. People also go around touching everything with gloves on as then feel safe but they are contaminating every surface they touch. They later they go back and touch those same surfaces with their bare hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: forkee and X-pilot
Viruses die when they dry, so if people don't spit on the handles you should be perfectly safe to use a charger at any time.

A lot of fear is powered by ignorance. You get COVID by direct droplet spray, which can be transferred by coughing on your hand and then wiping your hand on someone's face. But far more likely by speaking at someone close as they breathe in your spray. (Think of words that contain the letters P, F, S, T, B, Z, etc.) Not so much by picking up a charge cord that's been sitting out to dry for at least several minutes.

Viruses die when they dry, so if people don't spit on the handles you should be perfectly safe to use a charger at any time.

A lot of fear is powered by ignorance. You get COVID by direct droplet spray, which can be transferred by coughing on your hand and then wiping your hand on someone's face. But far more likely by speaking at someone close as they breathe in your spray. (Think of words that contain the letters P, F, S, T, B, Z, etc.) Not so much by picking up a charge cord that's been sitting out to dry for at least several minutes.

That is a funny post. I don't see people spit on handles but I have seen people sneeze or cough in their hand and then touch the handles. Does that dry up in a few minutes? My favorite SC thing to watch is snotty nose kids with wet hands run out of the car to plug it in. Lot's of Model X doors open here with a pile of kids eager to touch everything even my car when parked next to them. Warmer temps and lower humidity help but it's often foggy in the bay area or wet. Low UV and heat in covered locations and lots of high use not to mention the fact the virus can easily survive for days or longer does not seem like ignorance based precaution. This virus does not seem to get zapped by normal UV and I use UVC to sterilize things quickly vs soap. Touching an infected surface and rubbing your eyes is a very common method to getting sick and favorite past time of kids and many others. I don't see many people in NAPA coughing on their hand and them wiping it on another persons face do you? What am I missing besides kids going crazy in the back seat or drunk wine tasters from the city? Fear, ignorance, or educated precaution?

Last edited:
I have not yet gone to a supercharger since early march. but I have thought about it.

I do not charge at "home" but at a privately run garage that is monitored by attendants. Because on-street parking is plentiful and "Sunday rules are in effect" (no need to feed the parking meter) i've been parking on the street in front of my apartment building and visiting the parking garage (a block and a half away) roughly every 10 days just to top up the battery.

early on, the question then became:

do I drive out to a nearby unattended supercharger -- roughly 15 miles away -- to top up? where I can control the charging process or do I drop it off at my garage, and let the attendants park the car, plug me in, and just call it a day?

In the poll above I voted that I would only sanitize the SCer handle before plugging in. To be clear, I would only touch the handle with a wet-wipe (70% alcohol or Benzalconium Chloride) which will kill the virus. i would plug, and unplug the charger this way. in a sense i'm sanitizing the handle as I handle it (see what I did there?)

I would then either wipe my hands with another wipe or use hand sanitizer. once i'm back in my car.

I was worried about dealing with the attendants or other people at the garage where I park my car. thankfully the people traffic at the garage while i have been there is very very light. the 1st time I dropped off the car there was a healthcare worker in scrubs and a surgical mask picking up his car, the second time -- more than a week later -- a couple with their toddler, all wearing cloth face masks.

the attendants are wearing masks and gloves but its little comfort to me to be honest.

when picking up the car, when they hand me the Tesla key I take it from them holding a wet wipe and I sanitize the hell out of it before putting it in my pocket. I do the same thing with the driver side door handles (front and rear if I need to use the rear seat) and the steering wheel and once i'm in car.

in general, I have found that it is easier to drop off the car overnight for charging at my local garage rather than trekking out to an unattended SCer. so this is what i've been doing. i've had to drive less and less, so besides being a victim of vampire drain, the car has mostly been sitting idle and I have pleanty of range and no need to visit the garage. lets see when I will need to do so again...

How about just carrying some latex gloves in the car? Just put one on your preferred hand and use it to handle the charging wand. Pull it off and toss it when you're done. No need to disinfect wand or hand.

here's the thing about latex gloves: they are providing people a false sense of security.

Let's say your latex glove comes into contact with the virus. even if you remove the glove properly and carefully where do you toss it exactly? in the trash bin nearby? fine. so far so good.

or.. do you first open your car door? do you take the gloves off when you are back in your car? (bad idea, the glove has touched the virus -- anything the glove touches now could/will get contaminated. ) do you use a second set of gloves when you exit the car to unplug? I think you have to, if you want to maintain sanity..er.. a sanitized environment..

thinking about washing your single-use latex gloves for re-use? (this is what MANY people I know are doing) bad idea.. the soap is breaking down the latex molecules... making the gloves useless.. oops. I think using alcohol to sanitize the latex gloves is ok, but i'm not an expert on this point so I need someone else to chime in.

hand sanitizer is the better scenario for how to keep the virus at bay while on the go. I hate using it too, it dries out my hands -- not that washing 100 times a day with soap is much much better -- but soap better in general. soap also does a better job of killing/getting rid of the virus, but lets not go into all that here.

honestly, in the absence of a "washing station" next to every SCer, hand sanitizer is the way to go -- otherwise you need several sets of gloves between exiting your car to use the SCer and driving off once done. It's a real pain.

stay safe everyone..

I have to make a cross country trip soon to re-unite with my wife- I plan to take plenty of wipes and spray with me and will make sure I clean the handle before and after I use it. Then I 'll sanitize my hands before returning to the car. I'm hopeful that the additional supercharging time on my 6 year old S will not drive me completely crazy

I have to make a cross country trip soon to re-unite with my wife- I plan to take plenty of wipes and spray with me and will make sure I clean the handle before and after I use it. Then I 'll sanitize my hands before returning to the car. I'm hopeful that the additional supercharging time on my 6 year old S will not drive me completely crazy

If you are young and healthy enough to make that trip solo I think the slow charging is your greatest risk.

• Funny