Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else feel like the first 0-10mph are limited in the M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When is MS redesign due?

Maybe M3 will be unleashed when Porsche releases Taycan? Then Tesla could say that both M3P and M3D are faster than Taycan. Only thing Taycan will have that's better is the crazy fast charge time. Of course there needs to be infrastructure to support that charge rate and I don't see that being widely rolled out.
That's not even a full lock, as it's assumed from EPA filings last year that the Model 3 has capability of peak charging rate of roughly 200kW that's just waiting for V3 SC to roll out (which may in turn be waiting on the MS/MX powertrain refresh, so they don't totally kill S & X sales, or at least lock-in on the MS/MX refresh design).

On the other side of the equation I'm unconvinced that the first gen Taycan is going to use all of the 350kW potential. From wack numbers on UI mock ups to considering that immediately hitting 350kW would require they be trying to sprint full out before they'd even confirmed they could run....or walk.

P.S. Given expected pricing starting around $80K and range below the Model 3 P, Porsche might be willing to sacrifice total battery capacity to have faster to 80%. This is done by having a lot of unused battery capacity above the nominal 100% SOC which allows delaying tapering to higher % of nominal capacity.

---

On the matter of the from 0 acceleration; I never bought this "lower at 0-10". I agree I don't get the same sense of speed because stuff isn't whizzing past, but the ICE jerk doesn't make sense. The way ICE does that is that they wind up the RPM and then slam that into the rest of the drive train, so everything jerks and clunks. The electric motor has to start form 0 RPM, and that's inherently a bit of a singularity where the normally linear acceleration math doesn't work. So at 0mph sure, it's probably not quite the same, but past that it feels to me like constant pressure.

I just don't get (at least in the AWD) the sense of being pressed back any faster at 20mph or 40mph than that initial say 2mph point. I just get the "omg omg omg it is all becoming more and more a blur".

P.S. And if you want faster acceleration at 60mph, you need taller tires. ;) Although because of the way the suspension is built around the front tire you really can only squeeze maybe 2% taller tires before it starts rubbing (unless you have a CRAZY offset to move the tire out like an 1.5" on both sides or something?), and ultimately you're probably not going to notice that much.

Last edited:
Dose track mode change the feeling? I’ve only tried floor my pedal once and it feels similar to “half pedal” launches I usually do at red lights. My vbox is still on its way so I have no measure result.