Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else have zero interest in EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta say I'm kinda baffled at some of the posts here... I've got several thousand miles on EAP at this point and have had basically 0 problems with it when used on divided highways...

Are you guys having problems using it places it's not designed for like local roads with cross traffic or something?
My experience so far:

When in the left lane on the freeway, it veers towards walls. Really bugs me. If there is no wall, it rides in the center of the lane. If a wall is on the left, it rides uncomfortably close. Almost on cue just this morning, when I activated EAP, it instantly lurched to the left and started hugging the wall. Later when the freeway started bending to the right (not a sharp turn at all), it would have hit the wall had I not been holding the wheel.

EAP also lurches towards trucks in adjacent lanes.

I've got 3 1/2 more weeks to learn EAP's tendencies. First day was terrifying. Second day wasn't bad at all. After today (3rd day), I've concluded EAP ain't what it's cracked up to be.

I commute 100 miles round trip each day and want to love EAP.

For me and my wife, it's the only reason to buy a Tesla.

This is such an interesting perspective to me - my reasons are, kinda in order:

- It's quick!
- It's electric and I believe non fossil fuel cars are the future and Super Charger network!
- It gets software updates over the air - though to be honest, infuriatingly slow since I'm not on the lucky people list
- It's American and to be honest, I mostly hate American cars (aka SUVs) but I've not a squeak or rattle in here

I actually prefer driving my own car vs it driving me but if/when there's a time it really can drive me from San Jose to San Diego in the middle of the night w/o me babysitting it, well then I might feel differently.

Traffic aware cruise is nice though, wish it was the standard feature..

^^^^. Agreed. Also as per the “only reason to buy” comment. My buddy has a Subaru Ascent and when I got my 3 was disappointed I didn’t get the EAP he wanted to compare. Yesterday afternoon we did thanks to the 30 day trial. The Subaru system dosnt have auto steer but is comparable to the Tesla in every other way in the conditions we drove yesterday. So really if that is the only reason you could buy a Subaru

Subaru, FWIW, is #2 to Tesla in customer satisfaction with the TACC equivalent.

Tesla at 92% very satisfied, Subaru at 82%....most other brands are much lower (BMW at the bottom of the barrel in the 60s)

EAP was absolutely the reason I bought a Tesla though.

My existing car was already quick (about as quick as the RWD Model 3 at least)... and while it still used gas the mileage was quite good for the performance... (~30 highway, high 20s in mixed driving) and the car was paid for.

But a feature that removes the crappiness from ~an hour of driving 5 days a week was worth price of admission alone, being a bit quicker and not wasting time in gas stations was a nice bonus on top of course.

It's not ALL better (the auto wipers suck in comparison to old car, and I lost vented seats and a much better keycard entry system) but there's other neat compensators like auto highbeams and GPS aware homelink that are fun.

Reactions: morepizza
I've been on EAP trial about 4 days now. My 1hr/day total commute is mostly highway and often congested. EAP has been really nice in bumper-bumper traffic and I trust it well enough to relax, watch the road, and let it do its thing. At highway speed it's a little disconcerting. Lane changes on signal are more abrupt that I would like and curves at speed are a little shaky at times, but mostly OK.

I have a road trip planned for the thanksgiving holiday which i've done many times so I can compare fatigue w/ and w/o EAP. For now though I can't see paying $5k+ for this feature. I'd pay 1-2k for just TACC though.

Some more thoughts on EAP. My wife and I were both off today decided to test it on the highway. First off even with the follow distance set to 7 It Follows Way too close for me. In Alaska we don’t salt the roads so they’re covered with rocks and gravel. Following at the distances I would go through windshields ( that is chips and cracks from rocks ) and the front of the car would be destroyed. Something to consider for other states that experience winter roads. Another thing that was concerning is although it stayed in the lane with auto steer it micro adjusts abruptly that could definitely put it into a slide on slick roads. I also agree with the auto lane change is way too abrupt and could put the car into a slide as well. Overall I do see the appeal for someone who had a long commute in heavy traffic on dry roads.

I just can't believe, what I'm reading here, EAP is great, at first I thought it was a bit rough, but after a month, would not drive without it, I got it on my S for the tech, and the resale value of the car, you just need to learn to drive on it, I use it every where, except for road const. don't trust it there. I don't see how you are having the problems I'm reading here, I say be honest, trust the car with EAP, it is different at first, but you will learn to love it, That's the Best Buy on a Tesla

Part of my issue is I like the driving too much and EAP asks me to initiate contact to recognize I am there. Without it, I get the red line notifying me of traffic on the sides so I don't turn into it, warning of cars ahead of me. Excepting TACC, EAP doesn't do enough for me to justify the expense.

Reactions: Mo City
So now I also have another issue with TACC, aside from the follow too close. If you are going below the posted speed limit it accelerates rapidly to get to the speed limit. From there you can tap the screen to get the speed back down. Is there a way to change in settings to where if you are going below the speed limit it sets to that speed? The TACC on my 2013 Lexus (is way less high tech) but it sets at whatever speed you are going and you can adjust from there up or down.

So now I also have another issue with TACC, aside from the follow too close. If you are going below the posted speed limit it accelerates rapidly to get to the speed limit. From there you can tap the screen to get the speed back down. Is there a way to change in settings to where if you are going below the speed limit it sets to that speed? The TACC on my 2013 Lexus (is way less high tech) but it sets at whatever speed you are going and you can adjust from there up or down.

There's 7 different follow distance settings on TACC, you can quickly change the going left/right on the right scroll wheel.

You can also change the set speed with up/down on the same scroll wheel.

There's also a set speed offset (+/- 20 mph I think) in the settings page.

The follow too close thing - slide the right wheel to the left, it'll increase your follow distance.

The incorrect set speed thing when you try to set it below the speed limit the car thinks a road is - is a known bug that tesla has acknowledged (and there are other threads about this). They have stated that it's supposed to set to the speed you are going, but it doesn't if you are going below what it thinks the speed limit is. Why they haven't fixed it yet is a mystery. BTW, the settings in speed limit warning (the offsets and whatnot) don't fix this. Your best bet currently is to be aware of this bug, and if you really need to use TACC below the speed limit, scroll the right wheel to the speed you want once you activate it.

I just can't believe, what I'm reading here, EAP is great, at first I thought it was a bit rough, but after a month, would not drive without it, I got it on my S for the tech, and the resale value of the car, you just need to learn to drive on it, I use it every where, except for road const. don't trust it there. I don't see how you are having the problems I'm reading here, I say be honest, trust the car with EAP, it is different at first, but you will learn to love it, That's the Best Buy on a Tesla
I have tried EAP now for about a week and would personally disagree on that point. Best money I spent was the 4K for dual motor. I would not buy EAP for even that amount. Now, I would pay 2K for TACC and smart summon. Those I would find useful. My hope its Tesla will offer some of these down the road as standalones and not roll them into a 5-6K package with mostly stuff I don't want/use (autosteer and autopark for ex)

Reactions: Emmexx1 and rlb4
I have tried EAP now for about a week and would personally disagree on that point. Best money I spent was the 4K for dual motor. I would not buy EAP for even that amount. Now, I would pay 2K for TACC and smart summon. Those I would find useful. My hope its Tesla will offer some of these down the road as standalones and not roll them into a 5-6K package with mostly stuff I don't want/use (autosteer and autopark for ex)
2K for those two features would be something I would go for. I'd do a 'lease' of EAP for a 100/month thing, if they were to offer it, just to use it on my yearly cross country trip.

Like I said before I had it set on 7 and it was still way to close to the car in front of me. At that follow distance I’d go through 1-2 windshields (and possibly a roof...) a winter and the front end paint would look sand blasted.

Like I said before I had it set on 7 and it was still way to close to the car in front of me. At that follow distance I’d go through 1-2 windshields (and possibly a roof...) a winter and the front end paint would look sand blasted.
Oh, I didn't see your other post about the kind of roads you deal with, I understand now. FWIW, on our regular, pretty nice roads I run mine on 1 and have no problems with that, but if it was some crazy road with rocks and stuff, 7 might still be too close.

Just curious - anyone here doing the 30-day evaluation and thinking, "Hmm, this is pretty cool, maybe I'll get it"?

I am on the trial now and think its pretty neat. I had always somewhat thought about adding it after the fact because I would like to have EAP. But even with the trial i don't think i could justify $5.5k on something i would use so infrequently. I find myself turning it on just to turn it on because i wont have it after 20 something more days. My rush hour is 7 miles with no traffic (get in at 6 and leave at 3). If i got a new job and sat in stop and go traffic or did medium road trips more frequently i could maybe justify it. I am curious how it does on our trips next week for thanksgiving. at this point i am in the $2k-$3k as the most i would pay. As a techy person, i like playing with all of that stuff but i would rather spend my $5K+ on something more beneficial to my family or me. I am really mostly interested in TACC. i do think its kind of silly that something in this price and premium category doesnt have TACC.

Reactions: andy92782 and rlb4
I think it boils down to:

If you drive in stop and go traffic it's a must have.
If you do long drives with a wide open freeway it's nice.
Otherwise it can be nice, but it depends on how much you like it (personally I use it all the time in the first case, sometimes in the second and never at speed when there's a lot of cars around or tight shoulders).