Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else have zero interest in EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When approaching an intersection where cars can turn in front of you to go down a side road, autopilot, in the two week pre V9, would reduce speed by half incorrectly judging the turning car to be one that is stopped in front of me or coming my way.

Link me to the page that shows AP is not intended for two lane bidirectional traffic so i may be educated. As the system does not negate the action, you are in error.
You posted about using Autopilot on a road with an intersection. Then you post about “two lane bidirectional traffic”. You are obfuscating your behavior.
I recommend you read the Model 3 owners manual. Page 67. “Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads”. That is very clear: no cross traffic.

6F57D950-4F43-4371-938E-193C61F0DF24.png

And on page 68. “Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps”. That is so clear it does not need any further explanation.

47CA136F-12A8-4993-A530-4036A7EE7E60.png

Last edited:
I would buy TACC in heartbeat if it was offered for 1.5-2K. Tried out the autosteer during the free trial pre v9 and it actually made a bit car sick for the first couple of days but eventually got used to it. Found myself taking over quite often and the nagging was constant but admittingly LA driving can be a bit tough.

You posted about using Autopilot on a road with an intersection. Then you post about “two lane bidirectional traffic”. You are obfuscating your behavior.

View attachment 350389
I was describing two different instances. One involving intersections and another with a turn off onto a side road that otherwise is as described. Both result in another car able to move across my path. In one instance, a clear intersection, in another, something such as a side country road otherwise unmarked.

I would say I have little (not quite "zero") interest in Autopilot, primarily for financial reasons. Even the least-expensive Model 3 will be a massive purchase for us, so adding such a non-essential convenience feature for another four-month's income doesn't seem like a financially prudent choice.

I would say I have little (not quite "zero") interest in Autopilot, primarily for financial reasons.
Even the least-expensive Model 3 will be a massive purchase for us,
so adding such a non-essential convenience feature for another four-month's income doesn't seem like a financially prudent choice.
Did you tried it?

I understand the economic issue, however you can divide by the number of years you will own your car,
and the added value that you would get when you sell your car.

I'm myself no too much in luxury cars and I was considering getting a compact hatch back ICE or EV car, for my wife.

I really like driving especially on curving roads so I will certainly not use EAP on weekend trip,
but I really get more and more annoyed by irresponsible drivers during my commute.

I owned only manual stick shift cars all my life, so I was not interested at first but I got really subdue by the EAP feature.

But honestly, the minute I started using the EAP I realised how much I was driving a completely different car
than any other car than I drove before, allowing me to really relax for long boring highway driving or other driver bad behaviour.

There are other EVs available and cheaper but none provide EAP of this kind and that was the key decision.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
I wasn't interested in EAP/FSD to start, since I enjoy driving.
Just got the 30day trial and I tested all the features in the last 2 days.
Here is my take on it:
TACC: Can be useful in traffic (in my case, I would only use it in stop-go). If this was a $1k feature, I would prob buy it. To make it more useful and worth more than $1k, it should read stop/yield signs and lights as well as setting it to follow the speed limit (+-mph)
Summon: It may be useful for some cases, but so far seems a work in progress (thus beta). Tried to get the car to come into the garage, and once it hit the bump entering the garage, the car gave up.
NoA: Likely more useful in other areas that have more highways. In NJ, there are a lot of fast roads, but they're not all Interstates and thus not separated with a divider
Autosteer: Similar to above. It may work better on highways, but as stated by someone earlier, it doesn't avoid potholes, or objects on the road and doesn't stay to the left/right in the lane that is often warranted. It also couldn't handle the curves well (I had to take control back)

I certainly hope Tesla improves all these features and allows the purchase of TACC separately.
TACC is offered by most other car manufacturers as standard equipment nowadays on non-premium cars (Murano, Highlander, etc) or as an option for around $1k

Reactions: rlb4
I certainly hope Tesla improves all these features and allows the purchase of TACC separately.
TACC is offered by most other car manufacturers as standard equipment nowadays on non-premium cars (Murano, Highlander, etc) or as an option for around $1k

The version offered on most other cars is kind of crap though.

For example I had a loaner 2018 Lexus ES350 a couple months ago with radar cruise control (their version of it).

It turns off if the car drops under 28 mph. Making it utterly useless for the most useful thing TACC does (make traffic not suck).

it also has a "nearest" follow distance about 3x longer than Teslas so I was constantly being cut off and slowed down further on highways.

I'd pay $0 for that so if it's "standard" I'm not too surprised.

I understand that many people want ala-carte for their favorite features.

Reason it seems expensive for some of the self driving features is because Tesla already paid for installing all the cameras, radar and sensors in your car, and wants to be paid for them when they get turned on.

The cost is not just the software, but also to amortize the hardware.

The base Model 3 might come with no autopilot hardware to keep the costs down.

Maybe just have a basic, speed sensitive, cruise control standard.

Base car might just come with a standard speed setting cruise control.

Maybe the base car will only come with a standard speed set cruise control.

Define "most".

I know the feature from Merc, BMW and Audi and there it works over the complete speed spectrum and has configurable follow distance.

I know that Toyota has a lower speed limit for some strange reason, but even they have a configurable follow distance, same goes for their lexus brand.

yes they have a configurable follow distance. I covered that.

The closest one is still too big a gap, so I was constantly being cut off. Tesla follows closer so I don't have that problem.

I'd say most as in the vast majority of all cars sold. The 4 best selling cars in the US are from Toyota and Honda... both ARE rolling out "to a stop" systems but they're not on most of their cars yet.... Can't say if these new systems do any better on useful follow distance though.

I haven't tried the BMW system but it scores very poorly among owners-

Guide to Adaptive Cruise Control

Teslas system is #1 in satisfaction (92% very satisfied).... it's a 10% drop to Subaru at #2.... and BMW is dead last at 66% very satisfied with it.

For where we live (Anchorage, AK) yes pretty much zero interest in EAP here is why. We don’t really have have traffic, traffic for me is when it takes 15 min on my 6 mile commute instead of 12 min. Next, our roads don’t really have lines, they are all white half the year and due to all the wear from plows, gravel, and studded tires the painted lines don’t last long after they are put down. What that equates to is everyone I know with a Tesla up here says EAP just doesn’t work well, it posibally will in the future (updates) but not now. I know a few people that have sold their S to get a 3 and none of them ordered EAP. Also It adds >10% to the vehicle cost. And finally I enjoy driving.

I also good point and agree If I could only get the TACC for much less I’d be in. It would be nice (without the auto steer) on the curvy Roads going out of the city durring summer RV traffic season. My Lexus LX 570 has the ACC and it works well enough for me.

Now if I lived in a more urban city, possibly would have considered it. Or in theory if I commuted into Anchorage from the Wasilla area (50-60miles each way) and my car could drive for me (reliably) that would be a plus.

As per the cost to Tesla. The hardware: cameras, sensors, wiring, processors,... I would bet is <$100 for all of it. It should all be very inexpensive when added durring the manufacturing process (otherwise I would think they wouldn’t do it). The RnD and ongoing QI behind the software is expensive. Also I’m willing to bet much higher margins (profits) are made on the EAP than overall on the “car”.

In the auto industry here in the USA margins have gotten extremely thin for the base vehicle. This is why it seems everything is adding luxury amenities. Heck the average price of a 1/2 ton pickup is $52k! And Ford sells $80k+ Raptors as fast as it can produce them (most of will never go off road). That extra $3,4,5, 6, $7k+ for things like EAP, multimedia/Nav, rear entertainment, auto climate, premium sound ... is almost all profit.

Teslas system is #1 in satisfaction (92% very satisfied).... it's a 10% drop to Subaru at #2.... and BMW is dead last at 66% very satisfied with it.
I don`t give anything about "customer satisfactory" stats concerning Tesla.
Most Tesla-Owners I know would still give a 5 star rating if their car was burning out in the background. Tesla has been a niche enthusiast brand so far with a very ...ehm..."forgiving" community.
Give it a few years with the current production volume and we`ll probably see similar stats to all other manufactruers.

I don`t give anything about "customer satisfactory" stats concerning Tesla.
Most Tesla-Owners I know would still give a 5 star rating if their car was burning out in the background. Tesla has been a niche enthusiast brand so far with a very ...ehm..."forgiving" community.

Funny- that's usually what I see with BMW owners whose cars spend more time in the shop than on the road... "Sure it's in for repairs again, but the 3 days a month it works it's amazing!"

Give it a few years with the current production volume and we`ll probably see similar stats to all other manufactruers.

Subaru has been in volume production for decades.

They also score a ton better than BMW for advanced cruise control (second only to Tesla).

In fact literally every other car maker in the world with this feature scored better than BMW.

Are all their owners "forgiving" or something?

I'm just glad this trial is a month. It'll give me a good chance to drive in most of the scenarios I see and figure out whether or not this would be worth it. So far, it's totally not, because all the highways around me are under construction and/or have traffic lights. 30 days is also enough time to get past that honeymoon period where you can't tell if it's actually useful, or just a cool novelty.

I didn't have interest in EAP pre-purchase, after my 2-3 days with it so far, it's not really winning me over. I guess it helps that I don't have a daily commute. If I did, I'm sure I'd think differently about it.

I have to say EAP is becoming less and less interesting to me right now. I love the idea of it when the kinks are worked out, but I don't think I am ready to put my life in the hands of something in 'beta testing" or watch my car drive into a wall instead of parking.

Last edited:
Gotta say I'm kinda baffled at some of the posts here... I've got several thousand miles on EAP at this point and have had basically 0 problems with it when used on divided highways...

Are you guys having problems using it places it's not designed for like local roads with cross traffic or something?