Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone else have zero interest in EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided not to have EAP on my vehicle. I hated when I did a test drive, but I get that it may have been because it was new to me. The more I read about it, the happier I am I did not get it though as it seems it you have to really pay attention the entire to make sure it does do something wrong. I think I would find that way more stressful than just steering myself.
My experience with the original AP and now EAP is that I never want to have another car without it. TACC is fantastic, in light traffic or stop-and-go jams; it makes “normal” cruise control seem almost useless. Auto Steer is wonderful on short freeway trips or long interstate trips and really makes trips more relaxing and less stressful. And now Navigate on Autopilot takes it to a new level; it’s just the first iteration but it’s clear to me that in the near future it will be extremely capable.

If you don’t want to buy EAP of course that’s your choice. Not sure what the point of your post is; you seem to be looking for feedback to justify your decision? You say you are happy you didn’t buy EAP. I’m glad. Stay happy. :D

My experience with the original AP and now EAP is that I never want to have another car without it. TACC is fantastic, in light traffic or stop-and-go jams; it makes “normal” cruise control seem almost useless. Auto Steer is wonderful on short freeway trips or long interstate trips and really makes trips more relaxing and less stressful. And now Navigate on Autopilot takes it to a new level; it’s just the first iteration but it’s clear to me that in the near future it will be extremely capable.

If you don’t want to buy EAP of course that’s your choice. Not sure what the point of your post is; you seem to be looking for feedback to justify your decision? You say you are happy you didn’t buy EAP. I’m glad. Stay happy. :D

Actually I more interested in measuring what my next decision will be (when/IF I buy EAP)

I have almost no interest. We did not get EAP. I can only see wanting it on long trips, which aren’t frequent enough.

I love to drive, so it’s just not for me yet.

I do however see the benefits to it and would appreciate it if most drivers had a super smart computer making their car’s decisions.

Having no interest is totally normal. I remember hearing the same thing from my Dad about cruise control, automatic transmissions, power windows, and air-conditioning.

Said he could perfectly well do without all those new fangled gadgets that would just be expensive items to fix. Said he could shift smoother than any automatic, roll up and down his window by himself, did not trust cruise control to not kill him, and air conditioning just sucked the power out of his engine, as well as causing it to overheat going up long hills.

He was right, of course. Nobody needs any of those things, and at the time, few had good experiences with them.

Same thing now. If you go by forum posts, there certainly are enough causes for concern. At first (18 Months ago) I thought autopilot was trying to kill me. Ping Ponged back and forth in the lane, was a bit erratic in controling speed and spacing and generally had a bit of its own mind as to where the car should go.

Since then there have been rapid advances in capability. Car goes straight down the lane, switches lanes with ease, maintains great spacing and speeds. Baby steps indeed.

Think no body need this, but it certainly is the future of personal transportation. Driver takes control when they wish to be a driver, and lets the computer take over when they want to be more of a passenger, with the computer taking over much of the load.

Autopilot does the easy stuff easy, but the difficult situations get a little gonzo. Owners learn where they can trust Autopilot and where a prudent driver will take over the controls.

Nice thing about the autopilot is that Tesla lets you decide either to order it with the car, or wait till later (at an additional cost) if they want to add it back in.

I have a Mercedes without autopilot and the X with. Most every trip I choose to take the X.

For me and my wife, it's the only reason to buy a Tesla. It's not ready for primetime but we had to jump in for the incentives. Ap gets 95% of the job done and should get better with time. It's the last 5% that's scary when it goes wrong.

I’m in this boat too. We have AP on our X and didn’t get it on our 3 thinking we would be happy without it for short commutes. It just didn’t feel like a Tesla without it though and so we added it to the 3 later at the reduced upgrade price $5500 (like it is temporarily again now).

Of all the incredible features/benefits of Tesla cars, AP has to be at the top of the list. I would have paid $10K for it and feel like I got a huge bargain and incredible value at half that cost.

I can't help but think the OP started this thread to help justify his/her decision to not get it.

Reactions: morepizza
I like the TACC, but am iffy on the rest. The two week test showed a few flaws where I can't just allow the car to take over and drive.

When approaching an intersection where cars can turn in front of you to go down a side road, autopilot, in the two week pre V9, would reduce speed by half incorrectly judging the turning car to be one that is stopped in front of me or coming my way. In some other roads I take, the twists are too much for hte pre V9 version and i need to take over. In those instances, it is more of a danger to myself and the cars behind me.

Maybe V9 fixes those, but maybe not. I'll stay without. However, like a few others, if they made TACC a separate line item, I would order that no question.

I’m in this boat too. We have AP on our X and didn’t get it on our 3 thinking we would be happy without it for short commutes. It just didn’t feel like a Tesla without it though and so we added it to the 3 later at the reduced upgrade price $5500 (like it is temporarily again now).

I talk a lot of crap about EAP but it's still the best thing out there. I used it all the time on the freeway and about to hit 10k miles with mostly all EAP driving. It does a great job most of the time. It just needs a lot of baby sitting. Hoping one day I can close my eyes.

Even with a few fails here and there, I wouldn't trade it in for any other car. To reduce fails, I just take it off EAP to make my own lane changes and fast tight sweepers. Rest of the time, I just let EAP do all the driving and reduced a ton of stress on my daily commutes. I'm never angry when I get home now.

I like the TACC, but am iffy on the rest. The two week test showed a few flaws where I can't just allow the car to take over and drive.

When approaching an intersection where cars can turn in front of you to go down a side road, autopilot, in the two week pre V9, would reduce speed by half incorrectly judging the turning car to be one that is stopped in front of me or coming my way. .

AP is not intended to be used on roads with oncoming traffic that might turn in front of you- so that's user error, not a software problem.

Link me to the page that shows AP is not intended for two lane bidirectional traffic so i may be educated. As the system does not negate the action, you are in error.

No, I'm really not.

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

From page 61 in the autopilot section;

TFM said:
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is primarily intended for driving on dry, straight roads, such as highways and freeways. It should not be used on city streets.

and from page 67 same section

TFM said:
Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver.

And again page 68

TFM said:
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps

One of my main reasons for not getting it is because the highways that I travel the most have stoplights on them. AFAIK, this system won't read traffic lights, and having to enable/disable it every 2 miles seems dumb to me. Perhaps once all the local highway construction is done (in 3 years) it would make more sense for me.

Either way, I am looking forward to the 30 day trial. Perhaps I'll use it more than I think I will...

AP was the sole reason for my interest in Tesla.

Unfortunately though EAP is completely useless for me in the state it`s in.

Not usable on bidirectional roads.
Not usable at german autobahn speeds.

basically unusable for 99% of my daily driving. The only "EAP"-feature I could actually use is TACC sometimes.....and I´m not paying 5k just for that.

Guess I gotta wait another decade for true FSD......

Last edited: