TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does anyone have free charging at work?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by gujudog, Jul 20, 2018.

1. gujudog

gujudog Member

Picked up the 3 about a week ago and have never used 14-50 at home which I worked hard to install since my main panel is on the other side of the house. My wife has free chargers by charge point and I see myself rarely having to use my own electricity. Since I am in NYC, it feels great to not have to pay $0.26/kw to charge.

2. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

Yes, we have level 2 chargers all over the place. I don't usually bother though since I've already basically pre-paid for all of my electricity by going with Solar City a few years ago. It's more convenient to just charge at home for me.

3. JoganJani

JoganJani Member

Yes we have free Level 2 and also DC chargers. I used Level 2 since we do not have that big ass CHAdeMO adapter.

4. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Member

No free or paid chargers at my work. In fact you can be fired for stealing power!

5. shrspeedblade

shrspeedblade Member

Free chargers at work, but with the range I feel guilty and often just leave them free for the Leafs, etc that actually need them!

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

We have 36 solar powered Level 2 chargers at work. I typically charge there once a week. Most of the others charging at work are Volts or Leafs but there are a few other makes and models. I saw a Model 3 charging there for the first time yesterday and took a picture. When I got home, I noticed in the picture that there were actually two Model 3s charging next to each other. I'm sure there will be a lot more showing up in the coming months.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

One of the campuses at work (not the one I’m based at unfortunately) has a few free chargers for employees. I have charged there a handful of times when I’ve had to park there. The EV owners at work setup their own listserv so that way everyone can keep track of how many chargers are available or when someone is leaving and making a spot available. Very handy!

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Free chargers at work... As EV adoption has gone from 1-2 folks to 25 so far, it becomes a scramble to get to the chargers early in the morning. Good for getting employees arriving on time, lame for EV drivers that depend on the chargers (awful for folks with short range folks like the Leaf).. Free is not a sustainable model as EV adoption skyrockets - maybe a subsidized model instead

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

yes we have free charging at both of our offices

10. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Yup... Power up for what I need and then move my car to free up the space for others....

• Like x 2
  11. JPP

JPP Active Member

Yup--SF Bay Area very EV friendly--plus the State has financial incentives to install EVSE at workplaces, etc.

12. CliffG

CliffG Member

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about (near CAIT?), we should be getting more from the DriveGreen program. A few of us in our group who drive EVs are being moved off campus, so that should cut down on the competition a little....

13. rhummer

rhummer Member

Yep, we have six charger for seven cars. Three being Model 3s. Others are phevs. I normally don’t charge since my commute round trip uses about 2 kw. Our management is willing to add more chargers.

• Like x 1
  14. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Hah yes, that’s the spot. Glad to hear more chargers are in the works. Four is not enough in that lot even with the small amount of EVs we’ve got parking around there.

15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.32.4

I forgot to mention that while 36 sounds like a lot, we have over 160 electric car owners at work. The are planning on adding more. I mentioned the Tesla Workplace charging program but don't they will take advantage of it.

16. sperkin

sperkin Member

Free chargers at work but I don't use it. Too many Teslas and other EVs at work fighting for it. Up to 8 chargers now but 30+ Teslas and 20+ odd Plug Ins hybrids, i3s, and Bolts.

17. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

I counted 15 Model 3s at work the other day... The only people that use the chargers are the Leaf and Volt owners :)

18. RayK

RayK Member

We have ChargePoint level 2 chargers at work (about 14, IIRC) and two DC Fast chargers. There's a couple of other chargers in handicapped spots (assuming level 2) as well. Employees get 4 hours on level 2 and 75 minutes on the DC Fast stations. Both DC Fast stands have attached CHAdeMO-Tesla adapters. I'm guessing that there's about 4 Model 3s and nearly a dozen S and X. Balance of other EVs/PHEVs probably around 20-25; Bolts, Volts, i3s, Prii, Leafs, etc.

I generally plug into a station around 3:30pm. There's typically 2 to 3 open spots around then. I leave at 7:15 to 7:30 so that gets me the maximum for the day. It's working out for me as a regular charging option as my commute is about 35 miles round trip. I still would like the option of using the DC Fast stations so Tesla, hurry up and please get them qualified. I have a HPWC at home still in the box, waiting for me to call an electrician in so they can install it in my garage.

19. boriszima

boriszima Member

No free or any kind of chargers at work. There was a proposal as some parking spots got "clean air vehicles only" sign but that project fell through. Lucky for those that have them at work and can use them.

20. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Our company installed 22 charging stations but an employee needs to have an annual pass/tag displayed at $25/year as the company did not want to be seen as giving "free fuel" away. Eighteen of the stations are Level 1, 16 amps at 108V, so a very slow charge at best. That said I thought that was a reasonable compromise to get charging stations put in and was a good step in the right direction.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1