Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have problems with their Y not unlocking when you approach. I have my ap open on Background, but car won’t open for several attempts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have problems from time to time. Phone no longer works well in the back pocket nor all the time in rain coat pocket. Most annoying when it's raining out. Could be a phone issue as I changed phones about a year and a half ago. I now have an iPhone 13 Pro. I don't think I ever had a problem with my iPhone 11.

Only when my phone is in my back pocket. Turn around and do the Tesla Twerk!

giphy (13).gif

• Funny
Reactions: reefer_bob
I have this problem periodically (2020 Model 3, and then 2022 Model Y), and over 3 different models of iPhone. I am convinced that it is a bug in the iPhone’s Bluetooth LE implementation. When this happens, waking the iPhone’s screen instantly unlocks the car. For me it has come and gone with various iPhone iOS update versions. I have had similar periodic trouble with other Bluetooth LE devices not responding with the iPhone is asleep, which is why I am convinced this is an iPhone bug.

Reactions: KerryOH
It's not just iPhone, it's all phones. Mine works extremely well 99% of the time. On rare occasions it decides not to work and it's not related to sleeping or not, it happens a varying lengths of time etc. Last time I was in a shop for 10 minutes and it decided to not work when I came back. The simple fix is to turn off and then on again bluetooth on the phone. Easy, but annoying.

Reactions: android04
This happens more and more frequently to me, at least once when I am out and about doing errands. It typically only happens when I have my hands full and am trying to open the trunk. I'll probably delete/readd my phone and see if that makes a difference.

• Funny
Reactions: GtiMart
Once in a while my car won't let me in when I arrive with the phone key on my person. It also happens to my wife who has an entirely different phone, but also not often. Sometimes just walking around the the passenger side mirror and waving around the phone a bit has helped. Less walking is involved in just pulling up the ap on the phone and tapping the unlock icon or the frunk hood release icon. So far those have always worked in this situation.

For us this is not common--maybe a 2% item.