Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have this on their driver side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2019 SR+ doesn't have that.

Don't think that is a film. Pretty sure it's an anti-chip / anti-rock coating. You can buy them for aftermarket/as a body shop. 3M & duplicolor make one... Probably other brands out there.

In an OEM application, I'm not sure if it is on top of the normal clear, or in lieu of normal clear coat? I've seen it on numerous cars from the factory. I know my 13' VW CC had some along the rockers. Should definitely be on both sides though!

Well I just got my car back from the body shop today from someone hitting me from that side of the panel. Should I complain to the body shop because that doesn't look OEM at all. I have no clue why they did this. It feels bumpy and not smooth like my other side (which didn't get damage).

Well I just got my car back from the body shop today from someone hitting me from that side of the panel. Should I complain to the body shop because that doesn't look OEM at all. I have no clue why they did this. It feels bumpy and not smooth like my other side (which didn't get damage).
I would complain for sure. At the very least they should match.

Reactions: SammichLover
My late 2918 (blue) has what looks like this on both sides but not bumpy. Looks integrated into the rocker, but even so it feels similar to if they layered a thin film on the rocker then painted it.

They have likely been through several revisions of this, but yours does look a bit too pronounced.

@skrtskrt Here ya go - my car is really dirty which wasn't as evident when standing next to it vs bending down to the bottom! :)

On my car, it feels like a thick PPF, yours looks like some of the more robust rocker cover protection I've seen on other cars..

The heavy/thick bit you see is at the bottom of the door, it's not really wavy at the film line, I think it's an effect of holding a flashlight up to get a better view

p2.jpeg

That is called gravel guard. It is cushion layer under the base coat to prevent rock chips.

Yes. Both our Model 3's have that (May 2018 and Sept 2018) they look thinner than the OP's and they don't have the pebbled texture. I think they improved gravel protection.

I've always thought it would look good to have that rocker panel painted pebbled dark gray to make the car look slimmer in profile view. At least with the white model 3's - it probably wouldn't work well with the darker colors.

I think it would be totally impossible for someone to notice a difference between one side of the bottom rocker panel and the other side.