Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have this on their driver side?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I just got my car back from the body shop today from someone hitting me from that side of the panel. Should I complain to the body shop because that doesn't look OEM at all. I have no clue why they did this. It feels bumpy and not smooth like my other side (which didn't get damage).

Looks like they resprayed the chip guard during the repair. Aftermarket spray on chip guards are very hard to get the texture to match original. It often has a more "pebble" texture. You can have them redo it, but it may never be exactly the same. Another option is to have both side resprayed so they match.

Reactions: SammichLover
I think it would be totally impossible for someone to notice a difference between one side of the bottom rocker panel and the other side.

Well yea. But knowing I have it only on one side bothers me.

This is what it looks zoomed out. Looks like all of your guys photos lol

If any of you guys can. Please take a closer up pic!

Attachments

• FDADAE14-F0A6-40F4-9F03-AC04A26126CF.jpeg
    FDADAE14-F0A6-40F4-9F03-AC04A26126CF.jpeg
    408.6 KB · Views: 101
Looks like they resprayed the chip guard during the repair. Aftermarket spray on chip guards are very hard to get the texture to match original. It often has a more "pebble" texture. You can have them redo it, but it may never be exactly the same. Another option is to have both side resprayed so they match.

Couldnt they just sand it back down to smoothness? Lol

Couldnt they just sand it back down to smoothness? Lol

Most of these products are under the base and clear. I think the texture has a lot to do with air pressure in the spray gun, and application technique as well as the actual brand. Sanding it wont make small bumps into large ones, it will flatten the "top" of the bump, and then there are scratches to get rid of.

I talked to the autobody shop and they say they will need the car for 3 days to fix it. Not sure what to expect

My Oct '18 LR RWD has a film on both sides but it doesn't seem as knobbly as yours looks.
Same here. I can’t take a direct picture because i’ve now got both a wrap & ppf layers over it but there’s still a little lip visible where it ends/begins.

Very weird it is one side but not the other. Since newer vehicles don’t seem to have it I’d guess Tesla engineering decided to cut it and let owners sort there own full ppf out. Rocks still ultimately cut through it, so probably for the best that it is obviously replaceable aftermarket stuff? Tesla likely decided it was providing value vs cost & ditched it to bring manufacturing costs down.

But Tesla being Tesla, there’d be a phase of transition on the live running line and yours happened midstream. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit> Oh, this was aftermarket bodywork on this side? Yeah that’s just the shop not matching exactly, it isn’t easy. It is common to have these on cars though, for rock protection. Because of no flaps and the shape of that rocker panel the 3 catch’s a lot of rock down there right in front of the rear wheel well.

Last edited: