Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know how to secure this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of a brand new RAVEN Model X. Thought it was in great shape, but when I got home there was a greasy smudge on the lower part of my drivers side door. Originally thought to cancel and return it, as I was within my 7 day period. Hated the thought of needing to take A BRAND NEW CAR back to the delivery center where thay should never had allowed it to be delivered in such a condition.

Then I cooled down and realized that I could call out a Ranger to attend to the smudge. IT is what they are paid to do, SO WHY NOT!

Then I took matters into my own hands. Reached for a bottle of spray cleaner and a soft cloth. It wiped right off. Left no trace, like it was never there.

Sorry, but I never really entertained bothering the ultra busy delivery center with something so trivial that I could easily handle myself....but that is just me.
Dirt on the outside of the car which comes off completely without damage is one thing Pieces falling off is another. That said, one of our MS came with glue all over the back hatch (from the protective film used for shipping I assume), which showed up after dirt got stuck to it. I tried wiping it with some warm water and soap but it wouldn't go. So I did bother Tesla because I didn't want to try to clean it with some solvent and end up with paint damage - I didn't need a ranger, but did send service a picture and asked whether they are fine with me using GooGone product to remove the glue (and they would cover any paint damage) or would they rather do it themselves - they chose for me to clean it and it worked. That was when you could actually talk to live people at the service center, today the only way to ask anything is to make a service appointment.

Good points. Under warranty I’d consider adding something like this “to the list” to be dealt with during the next service appointment. Though to be honest, my need for service appointments has been very rare. I wouldn’t waste anyone’s time (including mine) to have this dealt with by Tesla as a solo issue.
Therein lies the ‘issue’, albeit a good one. In nearly 3 years of ownership I’ve visited the SC just once, and that was for the yellowing screen fix. So I’m not anticipating the need for a visit prior to October, but of course one never knows. I just feel weird taking it in or having the van come just for this. OTOH I’m concerned I may lose the entire cover if I don’t take some remedial action soon. So the tape seems like a good bandaid for now.

Therein lies the ‘issue’, albeit a good one. In nearly 3 years of ownership I’ve visited the SC just once, and that was for the yellowing screen fix. So I’m not anticipating the need for a visit prior to October, but of course one never knows. I just feel weird taking it in or having the van come just for this. OTOH I’m concerned I may lose the entire cover if I don’t take some remedial action soon. So the tape seems like a good bandaid for now.
Ask Tesla what they would rather, you drive with with chrome that might fall off until the next service, or take it in. Make it clear you don't care, as long as they cover any damage which might occur if you keep on driving doing nothing. That will tell you what Tesla wants as a company.

Ask Tesla what they would rather, you drive with with chrome that might fall off until the next service, or take it in. Make it clear you don't care, as long as they cover any damage which might occur if you keep on driving doing nothing. That will tell you what Tesla wants as a company.
That’s certainly a plausible idea, but I think I’d add the option of ‘self-taping’ to see if they’re ok with that.

So just an update on this. I called Tesla late in the day and got a call back the following day via voicemail. They indicated it would be fine for me to use 2 sided 3M tape. They also said it would be fine for me to simply show up at the SC any time for a quick fix on their part (without an appointment). I decided to go the 3M tape route and it's worked perfectly fine and seems very secure. :)

• Love
Reactions: Gixx1300R