Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone wave anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in France, the idea of waving because of some brother or sisterhood is an alien concept left to Moto riders. Maybe, just maybe, a slight lift of the head en passant . At the superchargeur, studious avoidance of glances.....unless of course it's lunchtime at which point on the picnique benches, everyone is family as they share wine, baguette sandwiches, cheese and coffee and stories of near death by FSD.

150 mile trip yesterday from London to the Kent coast, passed -
3 white 3's plus mine I suppose
2 grey 3's
1 black 3
1 black X
Half the 3's waved or flashed and looked quite excited to see another 3
We can make this a thing!

We can make this a thing.... but at the rate that M3's are increasing on the UK's roads we will have no time to concentrate on driving as we will all be too busy waving like loons, so we'll all need FSD :p

• Funny
Reactions: Traguar
I have been waving and flashing at Model 3 owners but as I live in London everyone blanks me. However, today I was driving near Henley and a blue Model S (aristocracy no less!) gave me a big smile and a wave so I waved back. Nice!

It's not like in the old days. I had a Mazda Rotary RX-4. The early days, the original carbon seals had issues and the engine would need to be rebuilt when the seals blew out. By 1974, the seals got replaced by Teflon seals which worked much better. The early days however, when you passed another rotary, you held up your fingers to signal how many engines you had rebuilt. Maybe with EVs, this is no longer a thing? :) BTW, I do wave at other Teslas.

I think I'll join the waving club when my M3 arrives. I used to have a smart roadster and fellow owners ALWAYS waved and I waved back*

Not sure if I'll get much response, being a fellow London-dweller but I'l try. Also I might keep it to the 3 only. Waving at X drivers would be tiresome round here as there at least 4 billion of them. OK, by "4000000000000" I mean "5" but that still seems a lot for such a pricey car!

*This happened twice in the 3 years I owned it, it wasn't a very common car!

I wave to any I pass. More of a hand wave or micro flash. If I see them thst is. What I have noticed is the model x owners don't bother with model 3s.i think they think they are to high and mighty. My local grey x dosnt bother at all!

Oh great...now we are creating more guilt for us! It's bad enough that we are in our smug EVs laughing at the gas guzzlers (especially in a traffic jam or as we accelerate away from a stop light). Now we have to feel guilty for not waving. Wow, the delimmas of EV owners. Do we have to wave at other EVs (e-tron, id.4, polestars 2, Rivian, etc...) or would that seem to be more like snickering to them? I didn't realize how complicated owning this EV was going to be. Who decides on the rules?

• Funny
Reactions: Joelly
It's not like in the old days. I had a Mazda Rotary RX-4. The early days, the original carbon seals had issues and the engine would need to be rebuilt when the seals blew out. By 1974, the seals got replaced by Teflon seals which worked much better. The early days however, when you passed another rotary, you held up your fingers to signal how many engines you had rebuilt. Maybe with EVs, this is no longer a thing? :) BTW, I do wave at other Teslas.
Great idea, not to wave, but hold up the number of fingers to represent how many times you have visited the service center!

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel
Oh great...now we are creating more guilt for us! It's bad enough that we are in our smug EVs laughing at the gas guzzlers (especially in a traffic jam or as we accelerate away from a stop light). Now we have to feel guilty for not waving. Wow, the delimmas of EV owners. Do we have to wave at other EVs (e-tron, id.4, polestars 2, Rivian, etc...) or would that seem to be more like snickering to them? I didn't realize how complicated owning this EV was going to be. Who decides on the rules?

Don't worry. Not everyone is so friendly ...

upload_2020-7-18_17-4-19.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Beady3647
As lockdown restrictions ease I'm driving a bit more so have more opportunities to wave, but I haven't seen many Teslas until today. Here is an exchange of waves with a Model S earlier this afternoon:

wave.jpg

This was in Shropshire on the B5062 near to where it crosses the A442 at Crudgington. The image is a still from a GoPro I occasionally use to record FSD visualisations, AutoPilot aborts etc. Later I followed a white M3P into Newport Waitrose car park, and then a white M3SR+ on the A442 through Telford. Anyone on here?

• Funny
Reactions: CMc1 and Neilio