Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does CPAP qualify you for any additional PG&E programs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if having CPAP qualifies for a PG&E medical need program.
According this PG&E Medical Baseline Page, CPAP is a qualifying medical device. Before you go down this path you should understand that it only helps if you are on a tiered plan (E-1, E-M or E-TOU-C) as it increases the baseline amount. If you are on E-TOU-D or EV2A then there isn't any difference according to the page.

You are on EV2A, so other than getting even more notifications from PG&E about upcoming power outages, what does this do for you?

Before I got solar and Powerwalls I had the treatment you posted about earlier. But I agree with Powerwalls you don't get much useful stuff other than maybe they prioritize getting your electricity back up in an outage since your home will be included in the count of affected medical baseline users in a given outage block.

Personally I think Medical Baseline also puts you on PG&E's radar to get crapped on lololz.

According this PG&E Medical Baseline Page, CPAP is a qualifying medical device. Before you go down this path you should understand that it only helps if you are on a tiered plan (E-1, E-M or E-TOU-C) as it increases the baseline amount. If you are on E-TOU-D or EV2A then there isn't any difference according to the page.
Thanks for the link. We are on the old TOU-B, but our area is under East Bay Community Energy. We have had PSPS events and several (4+) unexpected power losses in the last 12 months. We do have solar and 2 Powerwalls that powered us through these events. I was wondering if the Medical Baseline could reduce the price of a 3rd Powerwall to extend the time we can be without power.

Thanks for the link. We are on the old TOU-B, but our area is under East Bay Community Energy. We have had PSPS events and several (4+) unexpected power losses in the last 12 months. We do have solar and 2 Powerwalls that powered us through these events. I was wondering if the Medical Baseline could reduce the price of a 3rd Powerwall to extend the time we can be without power.

Your primary issue is that you will need to go through Tesla Energy for a 3rd Powerwall, and TE will not support SGIP applications.

Basically you were a great use case to do the large-scale SGIP (which would have been about $8,500 if you got 3x or more Powerwalls). But TE, won't do the large-scale SGIP paperwork/process.

Medical Baseline customers who are with a CCA also get exempted from the PCIA charge on their net consumption, so that's also worth a few cents per kwh. This seems to apply only to those rate plans with a baseline though - E-1, E-TOU-C, etc, so EV2-A users out of luck.

Though this is being phased out by CPUC/PG&E gradually until completely gone in January 2025

Another datapoint: I have mild sleep apnea and use CPAP. My doctor said I do not qualify for medical baseline because it isn't life threatening.
That is the relevant detail for medical baseline and PG&E.

Because medical baseline has a larger amount of baseline at a lower rate, it isn't often advantageous for solar generators, so do the math carefully.

Oh ok yeah, my home doesn't qualify for Equity Resilience (I'm a few hundred yards away from the nearest magical Tier 2 zone) so the Medical Baseline didn't do anything for me either. Makes sense I guess.
We have the same issue. Line is 200 yards from my home. But we could qualify because of all the PSPS shutdowns that occur. But since we have Tesla batteries, we would have to go through a 3rd party supplier.