Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does dual motor make a big difference in terms of power, enjoyment, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm currently debating picking up a used 2019 Long Range RWD M3 (before dual motor was standard in long range) or a new 2020 AWD Dual Motor. I've driven the LR RWD before, but never dual. I live in California so any perks from AWD/DM would be strictly pleasure. I like to feel power when I drive, but I know the LR RWD has plenty of it. Is there a big difference between the two?

Hey all,

I'm currently debating picking up a used 2019 Long Range RWD M3 (before dual motor was standard in long range) or a new 2020 AWD Dual Motor. I've driven the LR RWD before, but never dual. I live in California so any perks from AWD/DM would be strictly pleasure. I like to feel power when I drive, but I know the LR RWD has plenty of it. Is there a big difference between the two?
If you’re a power guy, then definitely get the dual motor. You won’t be disappointed. In fact I’d even go for the performance if it’s in your budget. I’ve never driven the RWD but there definitely a difference in power between RWD and dual motor. And of course the other obvious benefits.

If you’re a power guy, then definitely get the dual motor. You won’t be disappointed. In fact I’d even go for the performance if it’s in your budget. I’ve never driven the RWD but there definitely a difference in power between RWD and dual motor. And of course the other obvious benefits.

Is there a difference between Dual Motor & Performance, in terms of power? Or just the lower suspension, trim, and track mode?

Is there a difference between Dual Motor & Performance, in terms of power? Or just the lower suspension, trim, and track mode?
Dual motor and performance versions do have different 0-60 times by about a second or so. I paid 60K+ for my dual motor last year and now the performance variants are very close in price. They were about 10K difference in price last year.

Performance vs. Regular Dual Motor | Tesla

What Is A Sleeper Or Stealth Tesla Model 3 Performance? | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Before the 0-60 time for the dual motor when I got my rwd LR was 4.5 secs. Not a big difference imho from the 5.0 sec time for my car. But with the software update, its a game changer. 3.4 sec 0 to 60 is awesome. I think I would go with awd if I could do this over again.

Reactions: Sherlo
i think it depends on how you plan to use your car. I use my Model 3 mainly for commuting, where 0 - 60 isn't very useful. So, the LR RWD works for me. That said, I've heard, though never seen, passing/overtaking speed is better on AWD than RWD. I don't know if they're all that different from 60 - 75, or 70 - 85. Not sure if anyone here can comment on this.

Passing speed is a lot better on DM.

The P is still significantly quicker 0-60 over the DM, but they're nearly identical after that (especially if you do the $2000 acceleration unlock)...and this is confirmed by the 1/4 mile trap speeds of both.... the LR RWD is much slower in this regard.

If you're used to a civic or something any of em will be quick as hell, so it's a matter of perspective.

For context these are roughly the 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times for all 3+ versions, all of them include rollout (Tesla dishonestly does NOT measure the P the same as the others, I've removed that from these numbers)

LR RWD- ~4.7 seconds, 1/4 mile ~ 13.3@103 (note I don't have results post-second-5% bump so might be slightly better now)

LR AWD ~3.9 seconds, 1/4 mile ~12.3 at 115-116

LR AWD+ (AWD with $2000 update)- ~3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile ~11.8@~116-117

P: ~3.0 seconds, 1/4 mile ~11.4@~116-117

The AWD does not make a lot of sense for Southern California folks. We don’t need the extra traction control here. I would either save money and go with a used LR RWD or try and get a stealth Performance car. I just couldn’t justify the spread in price at the time between RWD and AWD for the extra .5 seconds of speed. And if you are going to spend the extra $2k for acceleration boost why not just buy a Stealth for the same price.

I live in California so any perks from AWD/DM would be strictly pleasure.
If you ever go up to the snow having AWD allows you to not be forced to put on chains in most conditions.
If I had to choose today I'd get the Performance (since it's way cheaper now than when I bought). I'd get a new SR+ over and an old LR. Lighter, more nimble, more efficient, and supposedly the cars coming out of the factory today are quieter.

Reactions: Sherlo
I had a RWD and it was a great car but when Performance came out, my irrational need for faster won over and I traded (after 6mos 6500 miles).

Acceleration unsurprisingly much quicker, also nose feels heavier (but not too bad) in comparison. Range not as good due to a number of things not least of which is the increased weight of my right foot.

If you can test drive all the options, that's the best way to determine what you like best.

Reactions: harryph
I have an RWD. With the minimal price difference between what I paid and what teh AWD could be had for just 2 days after I picked up my car, I would probably pick the AWD. RWD acceleration is there but not jolting like AWD. I do like that the range is further with RWD but the latest AWD have improved the range to 322 (probably better power management)

Passing speed is a lot better on DM.
this is the correct answer. your 0-60 times will mean nothing in stop and go traffic, esp in CA. highway passing and at-cruise speeds are where people need to pay more attention. everything else is just "bragging". keep an eye on the torque curves where the power drops off at higher speeds in the posts where people have dyno'd these cars.

before the recent 5% power gain, i felt like the RWD was flat on the highway, similar to an automatic. afterwards, the power is much more linear and i have confidence passing at speeds 70+.

the feel of the SR+ is that of any sporty sedan with at least 350hp, with no hesitation in power delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: Hyperion M3P-
The AWD does not make a lot of sense for Southern California folks. We don’t need the extra traction control here. I would either save money and go with a used LR RWD or try and get a stealth Performance car. I just couldn’t justify the spread in price at the time between RWD and AWD for the extra .5 seconds of speed. And if you are going to spend the extra $2k for acceleration boost why not just buy a Stealth for the same price.
Except for the fact that the long-range now only comes as dual motor configuration. (new)

Whereas I live in Los Angeles and use my Performance every minute of every drive.

Reactions: Johnstac
this is the correct answer. your 0-60 times will mean nothing in stop and go traffic, esp in CA. highway passing and at-cruise speeds are where people need to pay more attention. everything else is just "bragging". keep an eye on the torque curves where the power drops off at higher speeds in the posts where people have dyno'd these cars.

before the recent 5% power gain, i felt like the RWD was flat on the highway, similar to an automatic. afterwards, the power is much more linear and i have confidence passing at speeds 70+.

the feel of the SR+ is that of any sporty sedan with at least 350hp, with no hesitation in power delivery.
Says you...I use my Performance at every stop light, every pass, on the highway, off the highway, hell, even parking....when you're a highly-skilled driver you find a use for the extra power ALL the time.