Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does dual motor make a big difference in terms of power, enjoyment, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
List the cars you've owned that you thought were fast or at least acceptable, performance-wise, from your perspective. It's all relative.
2005 Porsche Carrera
1982 Porsche 911SC

My LR AWD will smoke the 2005, which smoked the 1982. But even if 0-60 isn’t your thing, having that extra power makes the car safer to get out of the way, to pass, and all wheel drive is more nimble... corners like it’s on rails. Enjoying it in California, despite the lack of snow driving.

AWD = :)
M3P = :D

The DMP is a grin machine! Even my wife, who is no car junkie, loves to punch it when there is any opportunity. You just have to warn any passengers! It's the most fun to drive car I've ever driven. That includes some recent vintage mid-engined Caymans, a C7 Vette, and a previous gen Ferrari 458. The Ferrari was pretty sweet though - almost a toss up in the fun department! Except for the repair and maintenance costs.

What's sometimes not appreciated though about the Tesla is that ALL of its enormous performance is usable, because it makes no noise at all and virtually never spins a wheel. High-performance ICE cars on the other hand make such an attention-getting racket if you exploit their performance envelope much at all. The Model 3 just disappears down the road.

Last edited:
What's sometimes not appreciated though about the Tesla is that ALL of its enormous performance is usable, because it makes no noise at all and virtually never spins the wheel. High-performance ICE cars on the other hand make such an attention-getting racket if you exploit their performance envelope much at all. The Model 3 just disappears down the road.

+1

I've noticed how acutely aware I've become of ICE cars that make a lot of noise. Especially ones that make a ton of noise and don't seem to accelerate while doing so.

How so? Charging speeds mostly depends on battery size.

I bought AWD in SoCal and I am having a blast with it. Did I needed it in such dry climate? Nope but wanted it to enjoy corners and have fun.

...was probably referring to motors being used to heat the battery. The dual motor has twice the heat for supercharger conditioning and cold weather heat up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: arghx7 and SigNC
...was probably referring to motors being used to heat the battery. The dual motor has twice the heat for supercharging conditioning and cold weather heat up.

Exactly. Plus, when you are driving down the freeway if you only have a RWD it can only generate so much waste heat and still push you down the road. When you have a FWD motor that usually just free spins it can generate it's full waste heat while you are doing 80 on the way to the supercharger. It makes a big difference.

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
I didn't do enough research (how much is enough? hard to know when its right to pull the trigger and buy).

there are at least 5 tesla owners at work and I asked them all. should I get the awd or just the base model? all said base model was good enough. I trusted them ;)

but I didn't count on how much I'd LIKE this car ;) there's never enough power for enthusiasts, they always want more. I want more, but I just bought the car a few months ago. can't justify changing it out right now.

next tesla, if I go that way, would be much higher performance.

if anyone asks me today, I'd say go to for at least the awd. gives more options later on, longer distance is great, faster supercharging is great and you can be really close to the P model. not sure I want the more fragile P wheels. bigger brakes would be nice but I'll never track my car so standard brakes are fine for me. mostly would like the faster accel and longer range.