Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does dual motor make a big difference in terms of power, enjoyment, etc?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the literal question they asked was about LR RWD vs LR AWD- yes I definitely think they were interested in that.

Not really.

5.3 0-60 is certainly respectable and will spank most minivans and suvs and econoboxes (though still not all of em)... but there's TONS of sport sedans, pony cars, hot hatches, and then actual sports cars out there it's definitely not "considerably faster" than

Contrast with the LR AWD that'll beat the vast majority of those (and nearly all of em with the 2k acceleration boost) (or the P3D- which if you can actually find one in the color/wheel you want is obviously the way to go over the LR AWD+)

Percentage wise, those "tons" of other fast cars make up a very small percentage of the total cars. So you're still faster than 98% of the cars on the road with a SR+.

You really aren't.

Even the 4 cylinder mustang does 0-60 under 5 seconds these days.
My girlfriend literally went from an ecoboost mustang to the SR+. Model 3 is WAY quicker, especially in passing power on the freeway, there's no downshift or waiting for the engine to spool up, you just hit the accelerator and the model 3 moves. I used to have a 2015 Mustang GT (435 hp) and it didn't have the immediate passing power that her SR+ has -- IT had a quoted 4.4 0-60.

• Informative
Reactions: arghx7
My girlfriend literally went from an ecoboost mustang to the SR+. Model 3 is WAY quicker, especially in passing power on the freeway, there's no downshift or waiting for the engine to spool up, you just hit the accelerator and the model 3 moves. I used to have a 2015 Mustang GT (435 hp) and it didn't have the immediate passing power that her SR+ has -- IT had a quoted 4.4 0-60.

Way to move the goalposts there buddy!

here's what you originally said that I specifically was replying to-

The SR+ is considerably faster off the line than almost every other car out there .

Off the line the Mustang wins (assuming a competent driver at least)

Where I live, cars around the speed of the SR+ are abundant (along with Model 3s generally). I see at least 10 non-P Model 3s on my 25 minute daily commute. If you live in an area like mine, you’ll likely not perceive the SR+ as especially quick given what others around you are driving.

The 30-50mph and 50-70mph times on the Teslas are unbelievable due to the instant torque and lack of shifting. They rocket ahead and get the jump on any ICE based vehicle so yes they definitely feel faster. However, after that jump we get an ICE based car with enough power and gearing like your Mustang will chase it down if you keep your foot in it.

Ii was thinking seriously of buying an SR+ which in my mind has plenty of power, but range is an issue and, for now, the AWD is the only way to get the longer range battery. There was no chance i would say “Damn, I wish i had gotten the smaller battery”. I wanted to be able to go anywhere in my state without having to charge multiple times. That 75kw battery makes a big difference over distance. I gamed it with the Tesla trip planner and ABRP. That being said, if I did not have the money for the AWD, the SR+ Would have been fine.

the addition of the front motor will make a very large difference in charging speed if you find yourself driving through cold climates.

Do you have a source that backs up this claim?

Exactly. Plus, when you are driving down the freeway if you only have a RWD it can only generate so much waste heat and still push you down the road. When you have a FWD motor that usually just free spins it can generate it's full waste heat while you are doing 80 on the way to the supercharger. It makes a big difference.

I have the LR RWD and live in a cold climate. I've not had an issue with freeway driving and preconditioning. In fact, I rarely see the preconditioning icon when navigating to a supercharger during freeway travel and get full speed. I've noticed the battery is around 80F when arriving at a SC according to the CAN bus. The battery naturally heats itself at high rates of discharge, plus the heat from the main drive unit. If the cars been idle in cold weather and you're driving to a close supercharger, I suppose it could heat itself a bit faster but how much more? I've not experienced any need for more heating, yet.

Anyhow, the downside of AWD is you can't travel as far as the RWD since it's less efficient and weighs more. Personally I think the RWD has great power. I came from a NA V6 engine and am not disappointed. Snow performance is better than a FWD ICE due to instant traction control. Regardless, run snow tires if you live in a climate with decent snow. It's more important to be able to stop then go - all Model 3's have 4 wheel braking!

If I have a need for performance and speed, I hop on a two wheeled machine :)

Ii was thinking seriously of buying an SR+ which in my mind has plenty of power, but range is an issue and, for now, the AWD is the only way to get the longer range battery. There was no chance i would say “Damn, I wish i had gotten the smaller battery”. I wanted to be able to go anywhere in my state without having to charge multiple times. That 75kw battery makes a big difference over distance. I gamed it with the Tesla trip planner and ABRP. That being said, if I did not have the money for the AWD, the SR+ Would have been fine.

Agreed but keep in mind that while the SR+ has a smaller battery it consumes less energy as well when compared to the AWD, so the real world range may not be as great depending on how you drive, temperature, etc. The Model 3 with the best range is the LR RWD and I don’t understand why they discontinued it.

Thats if you launch the car. No one really uses launch control and take off like that at street lights...just silly. In most situations, the Tesla will get that 5.3 while the Mustang will be in the 6 second range.

The 4 cylinder mustang doesn't have nearly enough power to require "launch control" to hit listed 0-60 times or beat an SR Model 3.

The 8 cylinder you'd need to race an AWD is a whole other story- and is the GT500 you'd need to race an AWD+ (with the P crushing all Mustang comers of course)

I have the LR RWD and live in a cold climate. I've not had an issue with freeway driving and preconditioning. In fact, I rarely see the preconditioning icon when navigating to a supercharger during freeway travel and get full speed. I've noticed the battery is around 80F when arriving at a SC according to the CAN bus. The battery naturally heats itself at high rates of discharge, plus the heat from the main drive unit. If the cars been idle in cold weather and you're driving to a close supercharger, I suppose it could heat itself a bit faster but how much more? I've not experienced any need for more heating, yet.

Sure, owning an AWD and a RWD the preconditioning speed is clear. Driving at freeway speed for hours it still doesn't show up at an ideal temp battery. it's fairly easy to see if you get the ODB2 diag tool.

Another thing to think about that people don't usually mention is for daily charging it's recommended to stay between 90% - 20% charge. (though I think you can probably go lower then 20%). So right off the bat you have 30% less range then what's advertised. Not counting environment factors, how fast you drive, if you're running the heater or seat heaters which will reduce your range more. So.. if you drive lots of miles daily you should probably get the Long Range AWD.. I'm not going to suggest the LR RW since it isn't sold anymore.

I have the LR AWD in a cold climate and I am totally glad I did not get the SR+. Real world range on a road trip in the winter at 80mph without doing anything to preserve battery is Probably about 150 miles if you stay between 90% and 20%. Also, with the bigger battery you have more range left at your destination if it doesn’t have on-site charging.

Also the biggest jump in noticeable acceleration performance is between the SR+ and the LR AWD. It’s like night and day, a totally different car. And the SR+ was easily as fast as my Challenger R/T with 5.7 liter Hemi and manual trans.

I have the LR AWD in a cold climate and I am totally glad I did not get the SR+. Real world range on a road trip in the winter at 80mph without doing anything to preserve battery is Probably about 150 miles if you stay between 90% and 20%. Also, with the bigger battery you have more range left at your destination if it doesn’t have on-site charging.

Fully Agree. Also, when you're driving home after a long commute and you have like 20% left in the battery and your wife asks you to stop and get something before coming home or if you need to make un planned stops... Having the extra really helps.

Here's what I could find. They're basically the same. Mustang faster off the line but SR+ has more midrange power. Trap speeds and ET are the same.
SR+ (Model 3 SR+ 1/4 mile 89% SOC (#313) : TeslaModel3)
0tkAqJEwq6qc-UdczusrtukuLR1tz22zRW8DLnJw1Ow.png

Mustang ecoboost (2018 Ecoboost actual dyno, 1/4 mile times??)
21731795_10155614726094519_3492986287726884847_o (1).jpg