Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does FSD reduce the range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

as FSD requires more computational power it would be logical to assume the car consumes more energy when FSD is engaged, so I was wondering if there is any data available on how it influences the range.
We can probably assume the FSD should be able to at least partially offset the increased power drain by easing the acceleration and braking, so in fact, smoothing the entire ride and therefore probably saving some energy, but I am not sure if that would fully compensate for the increased power consumption by the CPU.
Have you by chance seen any data on this?

Your assumption makes sense, but the computers are always running, whether you are in FSD or not, so there is no "extra" power drain. The computers are always running gathering that data on every tesla, whether they have FSD or not, or have it on or not.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
You’re talking about a computer that can maybe at Max use say 2000W vs a car that can use 500,000 watts during a heavy acceleration. Simple answer no, however AP and FSD definitely use the brakes more than they do effectively use regen, this would be where any losses come from.

I can't speak to Tesla power draw, but I have measured the power draw difference in 2 Leafs, one with their Propilot and one base model without. The difference was few hundred watts per hour, or about 1-2 miles range per hour driven. Teslas are doing alot of data sharing even when not in control, so maybe no difference.

If FSD keeps you driving at 65mph whereas driving on your own you might find yourself increasing your speed randomly up to 75mph+ then you should get better range from FSD. But it has more to do with driving at lower speeds which are more efficient than any power draw from the computers.