Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Ideal Km/Miles after standard mode charge actually mean anything

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would call 1% insignificant. I'd call 8% (down to 173 from 188) significant. My understanding is that "battery lifetime" is generally used to mean the time it takes for a battery to degrade to 80% of its original capacity. I'd think that a decline of 8% in 2 years is a lot. It would suggest a "lifetime" of 5 years, compared to the seven years Tesla has recently suggested. OTOH, for many people even a 50% decline would still be adequate. For others, a 10% decline would render the car unable to perform as needed.
You're assuming that battery decline is linear with time. In fact it's not. Li-ion cells generally degrade much faster in the first year and then lose capacity much more slowly after that. An 8% decline in 2 years would be more consistent with 80% of original capacity in 8 to 10 years.

If 4% per year is the norm, that's still over 10 years. (One of the reasons I think I'd have been less happy with a Leaf is that it has too little buffer for battery degradation.)

The Leaf has very poor thermal battery management compared to Tesla. You live in a climate that does not have too many extremes but if you did, Nissan would probably not sell you a Leaf because the battery would deteriorate very quickly. My wife has a 22 mi each way commute and I determined (using Nissan's data) that she would not make it to work and back after 2 years in our climate. We often see -25 deg F when we leave for work and if you charge or discharge a Li-ion cell at that temperature it severely shortens it's life. Tesla has mostly solved that problem.

The other day my Ranger said my battery was in unusually good shape for a 1 year old.

You should tell us more about that. Where do you keep the car, which temperatures are there, how many range/performance charges, do you plug in every time you can, how many miles did you drive, are you an aggressive driver etc. etc. etc.? :wink:

You should tell us more about that. Where do you keep the car, which temperatures are there, how many range/performance charges, do you plug in every time you can, how many miles did you drive, are you an aggressive driver etc. etc. etc.? :wink:

Total mileage is around 14,000 km.

I'm in Ottawa, Canada, so temperatures range from almost +40C down to almost -40C. I kept the car in storage mode through the worst of the winter, about three months (although I did drive it on occasion).

I plug in daily. I keep the car in my garage, which is insulated but unheated. This has the side-effect of making it a bit hot during charging in the summer, so I've backed the charge current down to 40A. At other times of the year it's nice and cool in there.

I've never done a performance mode charge.

I've only done two trips long enough to require charging on the road. I've done a range mode charge a grand total of 5 times, although I only let it run to completion on two of those. All except once I drove the car within 15 minutes of the charge finishing.

Aggressive... well... I like to use the acceleration capabilities. I wore out my factory rears (AD07) in 7000 km.

Many thanks. You seem to be similar in behavior as me. Hope my battery will keep up as well. The only thing I can't do is driving the car everytime the charging finishes. How do you manage that if you plug in daily?
My ideal range dropped from 302 km to 298 km and I have 2500 km on the odometer.

Many thanks. You seem to be similar in behavior as me. Hope my battery will keep up as well. The only thing I can't do is driving the car everytime the charging finishes. How do you manage that if you plug in daily?
My ideal range dropped from 302 km to 298 km and I have 2500 km on the odometer.

I was only referring to Range mode charging. If I'm charging for a trip, then I charge in Standard mode overnight. When I wake up in the morning I immediately go to the garage and set it to Range mode 70A and hit Start Now. That way it finishes the Range Mode charge around the time I want to leave.

I found that after each of my road trips where I put the Roadster in range mode and then ran it down (in a single trip) to within 20 miles or less range left, the ideal miles in standard charge mode would climb by 2 or 3 to get up slightly over 190, usually 191 to the previous 188 or 189.

I found that after each of my road trips where I put the Roadster in range mode and then ran it down (in a single trip) to within 20 miles or less range left, the ideal miles in standard charge mode would climb by 2 or 3 to get up slightly over 190, usually 191 to the previous 188 or 189.
Haven't we been told that occasional use of Range Mode is actually healthy for the battery? The rumor I heard was that Tesla went overboard warning us all about how Range Mode reduces battery life, and then they weren't getting any field data on Range Mode because nobody was using it. The word on the street is that service was instructed to charge vehicles in Range Mode whenever they were in for service, just to get more range data (I find that hard to believe, though, since such a practice would have customers leaving the shop with no regen braking available and that could be a really bad surprise for someone).

I am wondering if my battery pack may be degraded after reading these posts. Typically after charging in STD mode I see 150 miles of range. Thsi can bve as low as 125 if I have been hot rodding it or 165 if I have been driving conservatively but I have never seen above 165 miles ideal range in standard mode or 266 KM.

I am wondering if my battery pack may be degraded after reading these posts. Typically after charging in STD mode I see 150 miles of range. Thsi can bve as low as 125 if I have been hot rodding it or 165 if I have been driving conservatively but I have never seen above 165 miles ideal range in standard mode or 266 KM.

How many miles on the odometer? How old is your car?

I was told that a little bit more battery balancing happens after a range mode charge. I could see how that might possibly help a little, but who aside from Tesla's drive train rngineers really knows.
I was under the impression that battery balancing is a totally passive phenomenon, where active charging is unable to force the exact same voltage across every parallel group of cells, but once charging stops the higher-voltage cells charge the lower-voltage cells until they match closely enough that current stops flowing. Granted, only the groups of 69 cells that are connected in parallel would have this passive balancing, or 'settling' as I heard it called.

In other words, if there is any difference in balancing between modes, it's not something controlled by firmware, but rather a natural by-product of the fact that charging to a higher voltage (4.15 V for Range Mode) results in a wider range between the final cell potentials than charging to a lower voltage (4.1 V for Standard Mode). Parallel batteries will naturally even themselves out because current must flow from a higher potential to a lower potential.

There could easily be active balancing between the various series-connected cell groups (either the 9 series within a single sheet, or between the 11 sheets, or a combination of both), but only if they can be isolated electronically during such active balancing. At the moment I assume that active balancing between series-connected groups could be rather challenging (less so within a sheet, probably more so between separate sheets unless there is significant circuitry outside the sheets that can isolate each sheet).

Caveat: Most of the above is certainly conjecture based on general electronics principles, not specific details of our ESS.

Last edited:

Are you sure you mean ideal range, as opposed to estimated range? The estimated range definitely depends on how you've been driving; during a week of commuting it's around 135 miles after standard charging. The ideal range is typically somewhat higher, for me it varies a little in the range 172-182 miles immediately after charging in standard mode. This is what is displayed on the screen while the charge port door is open.