Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it fit in the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Palpatine:
There are many people worrying about the width here in Japan :) so you're not alone. I'm still waiting for the delivery of the car so this is my parking with my ICE parked. Model S will be a bit more than 1 inch wider than this car with 19 inch wheels.
5ury2aty.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I am worried about the Model S fitting in my garage. I have a 20'x20' 2-car 2-door garage. The garage door is 93" wide, so I'll have a margin of about 3.4" on each side unless I fold the side view mirrors.

I.ll also have to rearrange the stuff in the garage with all of it going to my wife's side of garage. :) a parking sensor might also be a good idea for fitting in lengthwise.

I like the rear camera trick. Still waiting on delivery of my Model S but I think it's a great plan - I'll draw a line on my garage floor for the camera. However, I also bought one of these from Amazon. It's like the hanging tennis ball trick, but a little more techy. I'll use this to align properly left/right as I pull in, then use the backup camera for distance:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008D6NK0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to park a Sienna minivan in the one car garage I'm using for the Model S - and while I haven't taken any measurements - the Model S feels like it takes up as much space as the minivan.

I used to have small items on the front and side walls - and have ended up moving all of the loose items out of the area around the car to give me a little more room to access the frunk - and also for all of the HPWC cabling towards the rear of the car.

But I don't have any problems in getting it to fit in the garage...

I pull into my garage 'nose first' and placed a piece of colored tape on the wall that is lines up with my side mirror to give me correct pull in distance...very low tech for such a high tech car

I found a product that I'm quite happy with so I figure I'd share it on this subject.
My garage is very tight. Drivers side wall is drywall, the passenger side is concrete. The passenger side is currently not being used frequently as I am single (at least it meant no one could tell me not to buy a Tesla :biggrin:)

Anyway, it's basically impossible to get in & out of the car without at least slightly touching the wall. So I looked around for awhile and couldn't find anything good and I wanted to share the one I ultimately went with as it took me awhile to find - I went with this product: Door Guard Molded Foam

I wasn't sure how good it'd stick, I even bought some Gorilla Glue from Home Depot just in case. But after I couple weeks my impression is that the adhesive is so strong it'll probably damage my wall to remove it :smile:

I'm getting another one to try on the concrete wall. Installed low where the door is widest, it gives a nice cushion to protect against the accidental clumsy entry or exit from the car. I'm not getting 4 as due to the structure of the garage and location of my wall charger, getting into the back seats in the garage isn't really an option. There are cheaper home-made solutions using pool noodles, but this is a nice, low profile solution without exposed metal or hard components.

Downside is you'd need to buy 1 for each door, they're not long enough to cover an entire side of the car. So you'd need 4 if you want to protect all 4 doors.