Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model 3 come with USB-C standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you that just took delivery or taking delivery soon, can you post if your M3 came with wireless charger and USB C?

No model 3 "comes with" wireless charging. Are you seeing something that says that a model 3 "comes with" wireless charging, or, are you seeing that a tesla branded wireless charger is 'available for purchase" through tesla?

I highly (highly highly) suspect its the later.

On the USB C front, Would be interested to see if US based model 3s start coming with usb-c connector instead the standard USB A. I read somewhere that model 3s in china have started that, but have not seen anyone say "yes" to receiving that on a model 3 here in the US.

No model 3 "comes with" wireless charging. Are you seeing something that says that a model 3 "comes with" wireless charging, or, are you seeing that a tesla branded wireless charger is 'available for purchase" through tesla?

I highly (highly highly) suspect its the later.

On the USB C front, Would be interested to see if US based model 3s start coming with usb-c connector instead the standard USB A. I read somewhere that model 3s in china have started that, but have not seen anyone say "yes" to receiving that on a model 3 here in the US.

There was several articles in March that the M3's being built in China had the USB-C and that they came with the wireless charger. There was tons of speculation that they would start making them like that in California, though I was not able to find anything actually from Tesla saying they would make the change here as well. I had assumed they would make that change when they re-opened, but sounds like they did not yet...

I don’t know for sure, but I believe it’s how phone chargers and other charging cables are going to be released going forward. I expect they are faster, but I’m not tech savvy enough to know...
The charging speed would be more then just the format of the USB plug. You can easily get 2.4 amps off the “old style” of USB plug, many 3rd parties make power adapters for iPhones and stuff that do 2.4amp at 5v, or about 12 watts. Those are usually twice as fast as the standard format Apple used to supply (5v at 1amp). So just because the format changes doesn’t mean they’ll charge faster... and on the flip side, Tesla could already be outputting more power if they wanted...

I should also say that USB to USB-C cables are cheap and readily available. Since you always need a cable anyway, there really isn’t much benefit other than maybe using the included cable in whatever phone you buy next year. $12 on Amazon for another cable isn’t bad though, and you’ll probably want a second anyway to have one in the car and one at home. If you’re worried they’ll disappear after a few years when everything switches to USB-C, buy four cables now and you’ll likely be set for longer than the life of the car...

Reactions: arghx7

Someone has reported that Tesla modified the Model 3s starting in early June to come with USB C ports and the wireless charging pad standard, to match the Model Y.

Someone has reported that Tesla modified the Model 3s starting in early June to come with USB C ports and the wireless charging pad standard, to match the Model Y.

Yes, I saw that in another thread, that didnt exist when I made that post. I should have said "no teslas in the past have come with wireless charging pads, but who knows what tesla will do".

Yes, it appears wireless charging and USB-C is becoming standard. One another forum, there are owners who ordered in mid may and got their cars this week. Some are performance owners and some are LR AWD owners, both have wireless charging and USB-C.

Just took delivery of a Model 3 AWD manufactured in Fremont and it came with the wireless charger with USB-C. Also, for no reason, inside the center console was a red toy Model 3. Sales rep claims he didn’t do it. Nice little touch, though I thought perhaps it was because my touchless delivery was so bad they wanted to throw in something to make me feel better.

Reactions: Mike1080i
Reserved an inventory PD3+ on 6/9. It arrived at the SC on 9/11 and I took deliver of it on Saturday 6/13. In the front cubby was a wireless charging pad in the front cubby, one USB-C on the left and one USB-A on the right. The rear row also has access to two USB-C ports.

Reactions: kdh0404
Just took delivery of a Model 3 AWD manufactured in Fremont and it came with the wireless charger with USB-C. Also, for no reason, inside the center console was a red toy Model 3. Sales rep claims he didn’t do it. Nice little touch, though I thought perhaps it was because my touchless delivery was so bad they wanted to throw in something to make me feel better.

Reserved an inventory PD3+ on 6/9. It arrived at the SC on 9/11 and I took deliver of it on Saturday 6/13. In the front cubby was a wireless charging pad in the front cubby, one USB-C on the left and one USB-A on the right. The rear row also has access to two USB-C ports.

Curious as to your VIN sequence?