Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model Y have better suspension than the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After moving from a Model 3 to a Y back in May, I found that the Y felt heavier and slightly smoother. However, after three months of driving, I think that the ride is still too harsh. My thoughts were confirmed yesterday when I drove my wife's X3, which was much smoother. I'll be looking into getting a smoother ride, but I have no idea how this is done or the costs.

I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions

After moving from a Model 3 to a Y back in May, I found that the Y felt heavier and slightly smoother. However, after three months of driving, I think that the ride is still too harsh. My thoughts were confirmed yesterday when I drove my wife's X3, which was much smoother. I'll be looking into getting a smoother ride, but I have no idea how this is done or the costs.

Coil overs can help depending on how they are adjusted but I don't know if anyone makes them yet

Take the range hit and drop your tire pressure a few lbs cold. If you feel it is better, then drop the dough on some aftermarket coilovers...

Good luck!

While many do so, I would never use a 3rd party suspension component on my M3 or MY. Too much opportunity for finger pointing if something goes wrong.
You have laws protecting you from this and tons people use aftermarket suspension on tons of other vehicles on the market. I really wouldn't worry that much but I suppose Tesla could be a real dick about it if they wanted to.

So here's a coilover kit, but it seems rather expensive. Is $2500 what I should expect to pay? About how much does it cost to get the coilovers installed?

Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance

One more question - How do you adjust these things?

Yeah sounds about right for high quality in a more "specialty" market.

There is an adjustment knob according to the details on the for sale link you sent. I've never used them so I would look for reviews on people who have, maybe someone near you already has a set installed you can feel.

Quoted $750 to install and align UPP coilovers. SF Bay area

If you have the space and access to the tools, coil overs are remarkably easy to install. The only sketchy part is using the spring compressor on the factory springs, just make sure it's firmly seated and then you will be OK. You can rent the spring compressor from most autoparts stores for free or very cheap. Alignment, it's best to bring it to someone with one of the laser alignment machines, there are ways to redneck it but wouldn't recommend it lol

Take the range hit and drop your tire pressure a few lbs cold. If you feel it is better, then drop the dough on some aftermarket coilovers...

Good luck!

Thanks, I did this and dropped the pressure 4 psi. It was significantly smoother.

I realize that there's a range hit, but how much lower can I reduce the pressure before there's a safety issue?

Reactions: empiredown
You're already over 10 percent under the rating. I would think that is about as far as I'd push it on these lower profile tires. I am sure the tires can handle being much less than this, but it is the weight of these cars that would worry me. Particularly on bad roads or while cornering before you get some heat in them.

SS

hi all.
I live in toronto, canada and i feel the same when i test drive the model Y. since the road is a piece of shxt in toronto. many pot hole and uneven road, i feel like im drive my spot car while i drove the model Y,.the suspension is too hard on Y. i like to change the coilovers too if it is available.

So here's a coilover kit, but it seems rather expensive. Is $2500 what I should expect to pay? About how much does it cost to get the coilovers installed?

Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance

One more question - How do you adjust these things?

Doesn't the Y have a separate spring and shock in the rear like the 3? If so, this kit stinks because it's putting the full weight of the car in the rear in the wrong place than Tesla designed for the chassis.

Doesn't the Y have a separate spring and shock in the rear like the 3? If so, this kit stinks because it's putting the full weight of the car in the rear in the wrong place than Tesla designed for the chassis.

This is incorrect, the UP kit has separate springs and dampers in the rear to fit the stock locations. You can see the spring bump stops in the pictures. The spings are just pictured insterted over the rear dampers, however they are not installed that way.

• Informative
Reactions: jpfive