Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Wheels And Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2021 Model Y and have decided to purchase an aftermarket suspension and wheels. I would like the suspension to be adjustable. The easier to adjust the better. The wheels like to be forged, one piece, and lighter than the Gemini wheels that are currently on the car. Any and all suggestions is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

There are several after market systems available: Ohlins/Redwood ($$$$), Mountain Pass Performance ($$$), Unplugged Performance ($$), Tein, Koni...there may be others.

You might be more satisfied to use the advance search function and read up on each of these manufacturers. You'll be able to make a more educated choice.

Reactions: MODEL+ and Pacernow
fetar30310: I'm in Fort Worth, 35k miles on my MPP Comfort coilovers, 45k miles on the car. They handle the nasty DFW concrete issues much better than stockOEM, but as tangible1 and others have said, "suspension is very personal and highly subjective." Regional road surfaces are a very strong aspect of this discussion.

When I purchased the MPPs, the choices were UPP, MPP, Ohlins, around $1700, $2600, $3500, approx. UPP wasn't getting their products out quickly (Covid supply chain issues) and no one could convince me that, other than marginally superior quality (?), that the Ohlins would be substantially smoother on city streets than the MPP, so...I went with the MPPs. No regrets.

Hope this helps. If you get to the DFW area anytime soon, let me know, and you can check my car out for yourself.
Pianewman,
How do you have your MPP's set. I live in Tyler and drive to Dallas several times a week. There is a section of I 20 East of Tyler that has become ridiculously rough. MPPs are my first choice. Thanks again for responding.

I've gone through Shreveport on I20 several times. Even with the MPPs, I have to keep below the speed limit or the car practically goes airborne! Ditto for my wife's 2019 Avalon Hybrid Limited.

Keep in mind, there's NOTHING we can do to make the Tesla MY Lexus smooth. It will always be more firm, and even unacceptable to some (ahem...like my wife! She barely tolerates it!)

Currently (with a 1/2 inch drop) I'm set at front 14/11, rear 12/10. (compression/rebound) I keep the rear more firm, to compensate for occasional increase in load. (14 is the softest setting)

The MPP Comfort Coilovers were the "softest" setup that MPP offered 2.5 years ago. The newer, softer, non-adjustable coilovers would be my choice today, but with only 40k miles on the adjustable coilovers, I'm not willing to swap them out. At 40kmiles on the MPPs, I'm not feeling any deterioration!

I'm bummed that my brief, 3 mile commute in W. Fort Worth has uneven broken concrete slabs that make for a very uncomfortable ride, even in my wife's Avalon Hybrid Limited.

FYI, Jesse at MPP is quick to respond to emails, and was very helpful, answering all my questions.

Reactions: fiehlsport
If you are trying to get a smoother ride, you could consider going with 18 inch rims and 235/60-18 tires. This combination gives you the largest possible sidewall which means the smoothest possible and also the most pothole resistant setup. I have a MYP and instantly sold the 21 inch wheels with the above mentioned setup. Definitely a far better ride.

Reactions: bobkart
Have a 2021 Model Y and have decided to purchase an aftermarket suspension and wheels. I would like the suspension to be adjustable. The easier to adjust the better. The wheels like to be forged, one piece, and lighter than the Gemini wheels that are currently on the car. Any and all suggestions is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
23 suspension is much better but it's not magic

Reactions: fiehlsport
For coilovers, you have a few options:

You'll see the Tein FlexZ mentioned here an there, we don't recommend these are they're pretty cheaply made and are plagued with all sorts of issues. However the EnduraPro Plus struts are decent if going the non-coilover route.

For wheels, you'll need to narrow it down to what particular style you are looking for. Typically, we're performance oriented, so Forged is the way to go - especially with these 4300lb slugs we're driving around. Here's a quick show of my Model YP with 20x10 squared Titan7 TD6e Forged wheels & Ohlins coilovers:

52754145079_7a40693feb_b.jpg

Of course, take a look in our showroom thread to see all sorts of parts and combos installed:

Last edited:
For coilovers, you have a few options:

You'll see the Tein FlexZ mentioned here an there, we don't recommend these are they're pretty cheaply made and are plagued with all sorts of issues. However the EnduraPro Plus struts are decent if going the non-coilover route.

For wheels, you'll need to narrow it down to what particular style you are looking for. Typically, we're performance oriented, so Forged is the way to go - especially with these 4300lb slugs we're driving around. Here's a quick show of my Model YP with 20x10 squared Titan7 TD6e Forged wheels & Ohlins coilovers:

52754145079_7a40693feb_b.jpg

Of course, take a look in our showroom thread to see all sorts of parts and combos installed:

what are the differences between the mountain pass suspensions?

do the other set not go as low?

I got a set 21" forged wheels from Jovawheels. They make custom forged wheels and more. The price is insane about 1/3 if not 1/4 cheaper than elsewhere. So, the 21" uberturbine wheel(front 21x9.5) weights about 38.05lb. The forged wheel is about 24lb. haha, that's lighter than 19" Gemini wheel. That's a lot of unsprung weight savings.
20240222_070153 copy - Copy.jpg

Reactions: Pacernow