Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Model Year matter?

Does Model Year Matter

• Model Year Matters - I've been waiting for the new model years to come out before ordering.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Model Year dos NOT matter - Could NOT Care less

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Undecided - both sides have good points

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course model year matters.

Even if I think that it doesn't, when potential used buyers thinks that it does, then it matter. Even if I don't plan on selling, the market influences a potential insurance payout.

Most people here have a good idea of what production changes have occured, and perhaps even the approximate VIN when it happened. The rest of the world uses model year as a proxy for the details.

Model years matter to many which is a reason why Tesla started last year releasing cars in 2019 as 2020 models. They already have new inventory 2021 models posted on their website now.

2021models.jpg

A better question would be do model years matter to you?

We know Tesla does not wait to introduce features. So a car made on Tuesday may have features not in a car made on Monday. Also, price can change several $1000 in a day.

Other automakers don't necessarily wait to introduce new features either. I am someone who thinks model years matter but mostly when it comes to identifying style and platform changes. Other things like option, powertrain, and color introductions and availability can and do vary during a model year (sticker prices too) and this has been the case with traditional automakers for ages.

Other than maybe the new Model S nose in 2016, Tesla hasn't had any notable style change but as they do, I think model years will become even more relevant especially in the resale market.

Other automakers don't necessarily wait to introduce new features either. I am someone who thinks model years matter but mostly when it comes to identifying style and platform changes. Other things like option, powertrain, and color introductions and availability can and do vary during a model year (sticker prices too) and this has been the case with traditional automakers for ages.

Other than maybe the new Model S nose in 2016, Tesla hasn't had any notable style change but as they do, I think model years will become even more relevant especially in the resale market.

But Tesla makes big changes mid year. For example, on the model X they replaced batteries and increased range in the middle of a year. Or replaced the MCU1 system with MCU2 in mid-March, I believe March 17. This dramatically increased the speed of the moving map, made the browser work, added entertainment support (games, Netflix, youtube), sentry mode, etc. And they did this with no heads up.

But Tesla makes big changes mid year. For example, on the model X they replaced batteries and increased range in the middle of a year. Or replaced the MCU1 system with MCU2 in mid-March, I believe March 17. This dramatically increased the speed of the moving map, made the browser work, added entertainment support (games, Netflix, youtube), sentry mode, etc. And they did this with no heads up.

The significance of changes can vary. My point was the model years have traditionally been more about identifying style and platform changes than features/options as changes to the latter have been going on during model years for ages. Tesla hasn't really had any notable style/platform changes yet but when they do, I think model years will become more relevant but obviously Tesla feels model years are already relevant. 2020 Teslas were released in 2019 last year and 2021s are already out now.

The significance of changes can vary. My point was the model years have traditionally been more about identifying style and platform changes than features/options as changes to the latter have been going on during model years for ages. Tesla hasn't really had any notable style/platform changes yet but when they do, I think model years will become more relevant but obviously Tesla feels model years are already relevant. 2020 Teslas were released in 2019 last year and 2021s are already out now.

Tesla may or may think they are relevant but I don't think the timing really show anything. They are legally required to have model years. So why not follow the industry practice of a September timeframe.

Tesla may or may think they are relevant but I don't think the timing really show anything. They are legally required to have model years. So why not follow the industry practice of a September timeframe.

They have always been "legally required" to have model years but up until last year, Tesla used to tie those model years to the calendar production date (e.g., a car built in November 2018 was a 2018 model not a 2019) but now they are building/releasing cars in the current calendar year with a model year of the next. Why didn't they follow the more traditional model year calendar from the beginning? What changed starting last year, I wonder?

I feel the switch was an appropriate move for a few reasons. For one, it gives them more flexibility regarding the release of major style/platform changes (when they start to occur) in order to better avoid having two very different looking cars of the same model carrying the same model year. Of course, using "1/2 model year" designations would be an option too (e.g., 2021 model and 2021 1/2 model) but I think being able to have distinct "whole" years is better overall. By NOT tying the model year to the calendar year, if Tesla has an all-new/redesigned Model S, X or whatever ready to go in August 2021 they can call it a 2022 model to better distinguish it from the "old" 2021.

Model year does not matter to anyone who understands Tesla's modus operandi.

I've sold two teslas - model year matters. Try to trade in your car, model year matters. Wanting to buy a tesla yourself? You see no difference in a 2018 vs 2020 model 3? Cmon man - don't be foolish. At its core, there's nothing different as it relates to car sales and car value, from tesla, to another manufacturer.. Newer year = newer vehicle. Even with no feature differences, the most recent year is always worth more.

Reactions: Cousin Eddy
I see this debate all the time but it should not be a debate all.

Imagine you are buying a used Tesla, and you are presented 2 options: 2019 model year and 2020 model year.
Both have exactly the same mileage, tires, interior, battery, etc.
Which one would you buy?

Now imagine other people or the dealership is buying your car, do you think they will pay more for a 2020 model or 2019 model?

So in reality, the question should really be "Does money matter to you?"