Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does myQ needs home link?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using MyQ for a few months now and it seems to be working pretty good. I've had a couple instances where I had to redo the MyQ/WIFI setup in the garage but it has been working fairly well. I do keep a remote in the console as every so often it doesn't close the door. It does open it every time though.

You don’t need HomeLink hardware to make MyQ work on your car. They’re separate systems.

I had trouble setting up MyQ for the trial month. Once it did work, it worked better than the app does on my phone. I figure the car has a better antenna than the iPhone, or maybe I just hold the car more correctly.

I wound up paying to install the HomeLink. The ten year subscription was about the same price. I wanted the functionality, but the “subscription“ stuck in my craw. The phone app works without a subscription. If I keep the car for ten years, it won’t mysteriously stop working. If I sell the car, it’s a feature. If we move, it will work at the new place.

Have HomeLink installed and call it a day. I have had Homelink on the last three Porsches and two Tesla MSP....Has worked perfectly 100 % of the time. Of course I have MyQ (free) app on the iPhone and Apple watch, which also has worked 100 % of the time.

Reactions: drtimhill
Buyer's Remorse here. I bought the longterm MyQ. I think it's like 10 yrs. Whereas it worked well for the first few months, MyQ in Tesla has been extremely unreliable in recent months. I have had to unlink and set it up again several times and despite having to re-enable using myQ account they still ask me to sign up for a 30 day trial each time. Auto close of the garage door is hit or miss.
Now unrelated to its poor performance is that this functionality is totally internet dependent. I couldn't get back into my house the other day for some time after my ISP failed. As luck would have it my connected front door malfunctioned as well. I suddenly realized that I have excellent power back up for my home but I'm so connected that I probably need internet ISP back up. Really funny first world problem. Anyhow, I will now reinstall Homelink on my model S to use as garage door opening back up.

Now unrelated to its poor performance is that this functionality is totally internet dependent. I couldn't get back into my house the other day for some time after my ISP failed. As luck would have it my connected front door malfunctioned as well. I suddenly realized that I have excellent power back up for my home but I'm so connected that I probably need internet ISP back up. Really funny first world problem. Anyhow, I will now reinstall Homelink on my model S to use as garage door opening back up.
This is a great point... if your home has unstable Internet access or poor cellular coverage, myQ is probably not a great choice.

A thought just occurred to me. I can't get it out of my head but as silly as it sounds I'll share it. WHAT IF this anomalous behavior is happening to only those of us who have also enabled MyQ for Amazon deliveries into our garages? I mean like we're innocent bystanders on a billionaire playground.

I have MyQ setup for my garage but I bought the home link adapter. It's fantastic and works 100% of the time. I don't want to rely on MyQ cloud services which have had outages in the past. Keep it local and use MyQ for non essential stuff.

A thought just occurred to me. I can't get it out of my head but as silly as it sounds I'll share it. WHAT IF this anomalous behavior is happening to only those of us who have also enabled MyQ for Amazon deliveries into our garages? I mean like we're innocent bystanders on a billionaire playground.
not the reason it fails for us. We don't have that Amazon feature set up and MyQ is still unreliable.

Homelink and MyQ are 2 completely different products. MyQ is a premium service which has the hardware built in where all you need to do is pay $180 for 5 years of service and doesn't require a hardware install.

Homelink is a module you can buy which you will need to do a hardware install inside your frunk. The Homelink module costs around $350 that includes the Tesla labor that you can order. You can optionally just buy the Homelink module from say Ebay and manually doing it yourself and save the labor costs.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Another option; the basic MyQ phone app is available for Liftmaster and Chamberlain garage door openers. This phone app enables you to manually open, close and check the status of your garage door(s) from anywhere using your phone. If you later decide you can enable the MyQ app on your phone for use with the Tesla MyQ optional garage door automation subscription service. The MyQ app is locked down pretty tightly when it comes to opening the garage door but you may be able to use services such as Alexa, Siri and IFFT to close the garage door using a voice command.

Another option; the basic MyQ phone app is available for Liftmaster and Chamberlain garage door openers. This phone app enables you to manually open, close and check the status of your garage door(s) from anywhere using your phone. If you later decide you can enable the MyQ app on your phone for use with the Tesla MyQ optional garage door automation subscription service. The MyQ app is locked down pretty tightly when it comes to opening the garage door but you may be able to use services such as Alexa, Siri and IFFT to close the garage door using a voice command.
This is what I use. I have the $30 chamberlain garage door dongles and use the MyQ app to open the garage or my regular garage door opener. I just use some velcro tape and tape a strip on the back side of the lower left corner of the display and attach my garage door opener there as a backup.