Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does new My Q integration need any hardware if you already have a My Q GDO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, just saw this thread here. I had posted my impressions on Tesla Owners forum. I love the MyQ integration update for Tesla. I’ve been using MyQ for years with the app and this update for the cars works great! No hardware updates needed. Very simple to set up. It works when approaching the garage to open it (within the number of feet I set) and works to close the garage as I pull away from the house. Also, the control button appears on the top of the screen when approaching and leaving and then disappears. We have two Tesla’s and one subscription will cover both cars. For $179 for 5 years, it comes out to about $18/ year per car. Definitely worth NOT taking out my phone and opening the MyQ app.

Reactions: Alset2 and RMannino
Sorry, just saw this thread here. I had posted my impressions on Tesla Owners forum. I love the MyQ integration update for Tesla. I’ve been using MyQ for years with the app and this update for the cars works great! No hardware updates needed. Very simple to set up. It works when approaching the garage to open it (within the number of feet I set) and works to close the garage as I pull away from the house. Also, the control button appears on the top of the screen when approaching and leaving and then disappears. We have two Tesla’s and one subscription will cover both cars. For $179 for 5 years, it comes out to about $18/ year per car. Definitely worth NOT taking out my phone and opening the MyQ app.
Just linked my car to myQ this morning - so effing slick with the open and autofold mirrors on approach.

No option to disable the beep with the myQ hub unless you disconnect the speakers. Others with built in myQ say it doesn’t beep ?? Not sure , just what I have read here.

Manual close or auto close doesn’t work for me like it has for others.
Did you set garage location? I set this while parked in the garage. Open icon on top of display and open settings. See pics.

Attachments

• 8596AEF2-2818-433B-A30D-BD3882BA2919.jpeg
    8596AEF2-2818-433B-A30D-BD3882BA2919.jpeg
    593.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 858EA106-74FC-4B73-811C-BC55CC125D03.jpeg
    858EA106-74FC-4B73-811C-BC55CC125D03.jpeg
    316.1 KB · Views: 71
Is there an option to enable/disable the beep?

Does it work to close when away from the house?
I assume you are asking about the beeping and flashing lights that occur for several seconds before the garage door will close when using the myQ app on your phone to close the garage door. When using myQ in the Tesla, the door closes immediately without all the beeping and the delay. I do not have the homelink system and have been using a manual remote on my visor, so I am trying the 30 day trial of myQ integrated with my model 3. So far, it works flawlessly and I love it. When I back out of the garage, a notice on my screen counts down how many feet until the garage will close. While doing that, I have the option to press a button to cancel if I don't want the door to close. Otherwise, once I reach the end of my driveway, I hear a chime in the car and the door immediately closes without all the beeps and flashing lights of the phone app.

When I return home, as I approach the driveway, there is a notification that the door will open and once I pull into my driveway, the door opens. While in my garage, there is an icon on the screen where I can touch to manually open or close my garage, and again, it does it without all the beeps and delay. Away from my house, the garage icon on the screen is not present, but if you go into the car control menus, you can see the status of the door and open or close it.

I know there are lot of complaints about the subscription payment and I also don't like another subscription. However, I never paid the $350 for homelink and the myQ subscription is $45 per year. If I'm going to keep the car 8 years, the overall price is about the same, so as long as myQ keeps working well during my trial, I plan to pay for the subscription.

I assume you are asking about the beeping and flashing lights that occur for several seconds before the garage door will close when using the myQ app on your phone to close the garage door. When using myQ in the Tesla, the door closes immediately without all the beeping and the delay. I do not have the homelink system and have been using a manual remote on my visor, so I am trying the 30 day trial of myQ integrated with my model 3. So far, it works flawlessly and I love it. When I back out of the garage, a notice on my screen counts down how many feet until the garage will close. While doing that, I have the option to press a button to cancel if I don't want the door to close. Otherwise, once I reach the end of my driveway, I hear a chime in the car and the door immediately closes without all the beeps and flashing lights of the phone app.

When I return home, as I approach the driveway, there is a notification that the door will open and once I pull into my driveway, the door opens. While in my garage, there is an icon on the screen where I can touch to manually open or close my garage, and again, it does it without all the beeps and delay. Away from my house, the garage icon on the screen is not present, but if you go into the car control menus, you can see the status of the door and open or close it.

I know there are lot of complaints about the subscription payment and I also don't like another subscription. However, I never paid the $350 for homelink and the myQ subscription is $45 per year. If I'm going to keep the car 8 years, the overall price is about the same, so as long as myQ keeps working well during my trial, I plan to pay for the subscription.
Thanks. I was wondering about that. I'm then curious if some folks have older MyQ firmware on their garage door openers that don't understand that "close with no beep" request and perhaps that is why it isn't working for them.

I personally don't mind the cost too awful much. They have to make their profits somewhere if they aren't selling overpriced hardware to auto manufactures.

I just don't understand. Why would you pay to open the garage door when you have a clicker and a phone app that will open the door no matter where you are at. Another scam to take your money.
Convenience. Joy.

I’d buy it if my 2017 S would support it. The wireless range sucks at my garage for some reason. And if it supported both cars for the same price? Fine.

Why do people go to restaurants when they could eat pb&j at home? Plot to take away money?

Convenience. Joy.

I’d buy it if my 2017 S would support it. The wireless range sucks at my garage for some reason. And if it supported both cars for the same price? Fine.

Why do people go to restaurants when they could eat pb&j at home? Plot to take away money?
I believe in a previous post it mentions same MyQ account supports both their Teslas. $45 per year is $3.75 a month. It is a cool feature for not much more than a venti cup of coffee. Works seamlessly with my Tesla. Everyone has their own cost/ value thresholds so no big whoop.

Reactions: Rally and Luvtoride
I believe in a previous post it mentions same MyQ account supports both their Teslas. $45 per year is $3.75 a month. It is a cool feature for not much more than a venti cup of coffee. Works seamlessly with my Tesla. Everyone has their own cost/ value thresholds so no big whoop.
Yup. But for whatever reason (all of them came with homelink?) Tesla didn’t support it in the older model S (yet?).

RM, yes I mentioned that it covers 2 Teslas under one subscription. At the 5 year subscription rate of $179, it comes out to $1.50/ month per car.
And to the previous poster who was happy continuing to use their “clicker” to open their garage, I haven’t had a working clicker for my garage door in at least 8 years. The opener works fine with the wall switch and the key pad I installed outside the garage many years ago. I installed the MyQ on my Chamberlain Liftmaster opener a few years ago and loved the convenience of using the app on my phone. This new feature for our Teslas makes it even better with automatic open and close as I approach and leave my driveway.

Reactions: RMannino
RM, yes I mentioned that it covers 2 Teslas under one subscription. At the 5 year subscription rate of $179, it comes out to $1.50/ month per car.
And to the previous poster who was happy continuing to use their “clicker” to open their garage, I haven’t had a working clicker for my garage door in at least 8 years. The opener works fine with the wall switch and the key pad I installed outside the garage many years ago. I installed the MyQ on my Chamberlain Liftmaster opener a few years ago and loved the convenience of using the app on my phone. This new feature for our Teslas makes it even better with automatic open and close as I approach and leave my driveway.Ou

Out of curiosity, how does the leave driveway work from the garage. How is it engaged, upon start or gear change?
Nicchs, it’s based on distance which you can set. Mine goes down when I get to the end of my driveway. I can watch it go down as I pull out and turn to drive away to make sure it closes. Same with approaching the garage, based on distance that I set in the app on the car. Works well.

When I get in the car the icon opens and I push Open. Garage door opens. As I’m backing out of garage, display counts down from 20 to 0 feet for me. Then I hear a chime in the car and 5 seconds of flashing lights and medium loud tone sounds from GDO and then garage shuts. I don’t have to wait for the warnings to stop, I can just drive off and the garage will close.

Attachments

• 8D9F57BC-BE19-4EF9-A692-2939547117D2.jpeg
    8D9F57BC-BE19-4EF9-A692-2939547117D2.jpeg
    578.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 76E2A7EF-9C1C-47D2-AE9E-0C3E1229F8A8.jpeg
    76E2A7EF-9C1C-47D2-AE9E-0C3E1229F8A8.jpeg
    444.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 57223CC8-37CF-4A3E-8135-7B5F31CE9321.jpeg
    57223CC8-37CF-4A3E-8135-7B5F31CE9321.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 51
When I get in the car the icon opens and I push Open. Garage door opens. As I’m backing out of garage, display counts down from 20 to 0 feet for me. Then I hear a chime in the car and 5 seconds of flashing lights and medium loud tone sounds from GDO and then garage shuts. I don’t have to wait for the warnings to stop, I can just drive off and the garage will close.
Thanks

Here is subscription details from the MyQ app I have been using for my Chamberlain WiFi gdo.

Wow, $45/year or $299/10 years. For something that every other automaker give you for free?
F*@K that!
1672013114127.png

I hate subscriptions too but once I get over the initial revolt against it, the fact that it still costs less than buying Home Link

Except that it doesn't.
Tesla massively over-charges for HomeLink installation ($350 + 1 hour of labor), for what is a <$10 part.

You can get a home-link opener with a physical button at HomeDepot for $29.

You can probably find it for even less if you shop around.

Except that it doesn't.
Tesla massively over-charges for HomeLink installation ($350 + 1 hour of labor), for what is a <$10 part.
Homelink has license fees that make it expensive, that's why a lot of automakers have removed them. It's definitely not just $10. I believe the $350 on the Tesla website includes labor costs.
You can get a home-link opener with a physical button at HomeDepot for $29.

You can probably find it for even less if you shop around.
That's not homelink, that's just a regular door opener.

This is Homelink:
HomeLink
An aftermarket homelink module costs $230:
https://www.voxxelectronics.com/gentex/homelink/?sku=ADVGENHL5ALL

Last edited: