Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Sentry Mode record motion only? (car keyed, boo)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone keyed my car yesterday evening at Longhorn. They got it from the headlight to the middle of the tail light...

Had I had Sentry mode, would it have at least recorded the motion to see who the gashole was?

2019-02-21 08.36.05.jpg

2019-02-21 08.36.11.jpg

Someone keyed my car yesterday evening at Longhorn. They got it from the headlight to the middle of the tail light...
Sorry to hear. Can't even imaging what kind of a-hole you'd have to be to do something like that.
Had I had Sentry mode, would it have at least recorded the motion to see who the gashole was?
Yes. As far as I can tell, Sentry mode is constantly recording, and when the "alert" state is triggered, it saves the last minute or so to the USB drive (similar to the dashcam feature, except that it doesn't keep recordings in "non-alert" state). So you will see what triggered the alert state. The viewing angle of the repeater cameras would show someone walking along the side of the car. Of course, the recording may not be useful anyway unless you happen to know the person.

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
Yea, I don't know what the deal is with some people. I have 3K miles on the car since August and baby it. I am particular about where I park in public and make sure I am against a curb on one side so I can hug it and leave plenty of room on the other side to prevent dings. That is what I did at Longhorn but someone went out of their way to scrape it from one end to the other for no reason. I guess I will see if they have a camera pointed in that direction and ask for a mgr if so, but I really doubt they want to waste time on that. I'd just like to see if it caught the plate of their car and see what kind of ahole would do that.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Yea, I don't know what the deal is with some people. I have 3K miles on the car since August and baby it. I am particular about where I park in public and make sure I am against a curb on one side so I can hug it and leave plenty of room on the other side to prevent dings. That is what I did at Longhorn but someone went out of their way to scrape it from one end to the other for no reason. I guess I will see if they have a camera pointed in that direction and ask for a mgr if so, but I really doubt they want to waste time on that. I'd just like to see if it caught the plate of their car and see what kind of ahole would do that.

That is awful and I'm very sorry to see anyone have to deal with it. Cameras (Sentry?) will help, but only if that crime is prosecuted (with footage) such that the type of people with so much animosity/hate understand the risk and think twice.

Kind of like the issue with Tesla break-ins in the SF area, no or little risk brews a mess.....

I sure hope Sentry mode gets talked up on ALL media avenues and not just Tesla folks, the more people that fear Sentry mode, the better Tesla owners will be.

View attachment 379292

View attachment 379293
Why don't you have sentry mode? It was released like 1 or 2 weeks ago? Sorry that happened to you.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. Can't even imaging what kind of a-hole you'd have to be to do something like that.
Yes. As far as I can tell, Sentry mode is constantly recording, and when the "alert" state is triggered, it saves the last minute or so to the USB drive (similar to the dashcam feature, except that it doesn't keep recordings in "non-alert" state). So you will see what triggered the alert state. The viewing angle of the repeater cameras would show someone walking along the side of the car. Of course, the recording may not be useful anyway unless you happen to know the person.

I’m not sure Sentry Mode would even ‘record and save’ in this case would it? I thought to get the car in ‘alert’ state it needs an ‘impact’ or ‘pound’ on the glass as if attempt to break.
Will a ‘light’ keying even set it off? Sad if not.

Ski