Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla accept traditional trade-ins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find anything on this in the forum search.

In general, do they operate where you can trade-in your existing vehicle or is it recommended to sell off your car first then come in with the liquidity?

Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions, or a link to a past thread where this may have been covered.

My experience is that CarMax is fair and quick. They will generally offer more than a traditional dealer will. You may get more selling it privately, but, I have found it is not worth the effort and cost vs. just selling to CarMax.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
I just sold my 2006 Acura TL before taking delivery of a model S just a few weeks ago. The Tesla/Autonation price was actually higher than Carmax's offer but I got an even better price from my local Acura dealer. I did not want to deal with the hassle of private sales. If you don't plan to seek your car privately, I would recommend getting your car appraised by Tesla, Carmax, and the local dealer for your car brand and take the highest.

• Helpful
Reactions: PTADO
A few other considerations to keep in mind. At least in PA, whether you trade your car in at the time of your new car purchase affects how much sales tax you pay for your new car. For example, if the Model 3 I buy is for $40,000 with no trade in, I pay sales tax on $40,000. If I buy a Model 3 for $40,000 but I trade in my current vehicle for $13,000, then I pay sales tax on $27,000 (sales price minus trade in value = amount on which sales tax is paid). So in this example, trading in my car saves me $780.00 ($13,000 x 6% sales tax). So you have to consider if you can get more than $13,780 for your trade in elsewhere.

Another consideration is to whom you would sell it privately. Most people shopping for a car in the price range of less than $7500 will pay cash. Many people buying cars over $10,000 take a loan. That could affect the transaction in terms of speed and ease.

What also might affect the transaction more is if YOU have a loan on the car. If you do, the buyer would have to give you the $13,000 and wait for you to pay off the loan and receive the title in the mail before you can transfer the title to them so they could title the car and drive it. Often buyers aren't willing to trust a seller through those steps.

Not to mention the time, effort and any costs associated with a private sale.

I've sold cars both ways. For me, I'd rather sell my car to the dealer for a fair price (even if it's not top dollar) just for the convenience factor.

Last edited:
At least in Dallas, I have had higher offers from some of those internet dealers that evaluate pictures of your car and send you an offer. One called Vroom, in particular, was about $1500 higher on an offer for my Mazda3 than CarMax. But there are lots of others.

Reactions: Dead
I found that Tesla quotes you about the same as most dealers will and it's typically the Wholesale price (re: low end of the KBB spectrum).

I haven't tried with Carmax yet, but I should be getting ~$29-32k for my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Tesla offered me $24k.