Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla Install the Front License Plate Bracket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just remembered after getting an email from the SC regarding instructions to pick up my car tomorrow. In the attached, it shows a Blue/White Tesla on the right, looks like a Model Y, which "could" be mine - Resolution is poor, so really hard to tell what's going on. Unsure whether this is a current photo and indicative of where my car will literally be or illustrative. None the less, a panic just hit me.

I'm picking it up in Chicago, where Illinois has a front plate law. In Indiana, we don't have that requirement. Does anyone know if Tesla installs them in states where it's the law or leaves that up to the owner? If they did install it and I presume they drill through the bumper, should I ask them to somehow fix it, which I'm guessing is a new bumper?

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 380
I just remembered after getting an email from the SC regarding instructions to pick up my car tomorrow. In the attached, it shows a Blue/White Tesla on the right, looks like a Model Y, which "could" be mine - Resolution is poor, so really hard to tell what's going on. Unsure whether this is a current photo and indicative of where my car will literally be or illustrative. None the less, a panic just hit me.

I'm picking it up in Chicago, where Illinois has a front plate law. In Indiana, we don't have that requirement. Does anyone know if Tesla installs them in states where it's the law or leaves that up to the owner? If they did install it and I presume they drill through the bumper, should I ask them to somehow fix it, which I'm guessing is a new bumper?

looks like 3s in that pic. its held on with double sided tape, not drilled.

Looks like you are picking up at Grand. They will not install the front license plant for you, even if you live in Chicago. I had my first delivery attempt 2 weeks ago (but we rejected the car). I believe the Tesla front license plate is attached with 3M double side tapes only, no drilling.

Reactions: jimmym1981
The Tesla store manager told me they won’t mount the front license plate because you could return the car during the 7 day 1000 mile return period. This insures the car could be easily relocated to a state that doesn’t require front license plates. Makes sense but the logic is a bit skewed towards Tesla rather than the owner Who is buying a $60,000 vehicle.

Looks like you are picking up at Grand. They will not install the front license plant for you, even if you live in Chicago. I had my first delivery attempt 2 weeks ago (but we rejected the car). I believe the Tesla front license plate is attached with 3M double side tapes only, no drilling.
How was Grand with delivery and you going over the car and then rejecting?

People I talked to on the phone are really nice and professional, but I don't like the "contactless" delivery process. It was really time consuming to explain issues we found by phone and email.
Our first delivery attempt experience in the post below:
"Delivery" experience
Thanks for the update. We are taking delivery at Grand and they used to get a REAL bad rep over there. I’m glad to see it’s getting better. Thanks for the link to the post. I’ll review and hopefully our delivery and issues (hopefully few) goes smooth!

Thanks for the update. We are taking delivery at Grand and they used to get a REAL bad rep over there. I’m glad to see it’s getting better. Thanks for the link to the post. I’ll review and hopefully our delivery and issues (hopefully few) goes smooth!
I totally agree. We tested drive the MX at the Grand location 3-4 year ago, it was the worst car sales rep we ever had.

It wasn't bad for me.

They sent an email ahead of time, with directions and the area where the car would be parked. When we arrived, easily found the car and took about 30 minutes to look everything over. Problem was, my kids were with my wife and I and they were going nuts. Every little "thing" they thought was wrong was some pollen or a bit of adhesive, so it took me away from trying to find the major items, which I fortunately did not find any.

The front plate bracket was not installed.

The car wasn't prepped all that well on the outside. They did definitely clean it up, it was pretty dirty between the panels, but given the location and the bad pollen season, it's not that big of a deal.

I did see someone from the location out there and did talk to him. I asked how to report the minor issues, would they want to try and address anything that day, which he said they didn't have the capacity to do so. So, I would not expect anything to be fixed in real time while you're there.

I did schedule a mobile service appt for next week, but many of the issues I've heard will not be addressed by mobile service, so I'll probably have to head out to Westmont for a service visit.