Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla make money on Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far everyone's no one's right. Let's hear some more guesses. :)

what on earth are you talking about? do you have some magic inside information or something?

The majority of Teslas on the road right now have free supercharging. If you take in an average of 20cents/kwh charged to commercial utilities, you do the math of how much tesla PAYS everytime someone charges their car for free.

what on earth are you talking about? do you have some magic inside information or something?

The majority of Teslas on the road right now have free supercharging. If you take in an average of 20cents/kwh charged to commercial utilities, you do the math of how much tesla PAYS everytime someone charges their car for free.
But the math is useless if you don’t actually know if tesla pays for the electricity.

Keep in mind my question was only for the downtown SD location, not for the entire SC network. Anyone who parks at this location pays. Any Tesla owner who uses the facility also pays a fee. So why would Tesla put this in a location where they would be responsible for the parking fee? They wouldn't (for this location).

My question to the forum was just to see what people thought about the cost of running this place (SD only), and how much Tesla would be willing to pay. There's a financial benefit to Tesla for providing a charging location. There is a 'benefit' to the owner of the property who now get more traffic to the area and get additional fees. The question is what or how much does Tesla get per car in return? :)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Since this question arose from the San Diego A Street Parking Garage Supercharger, I believe the OP was asking if Tesla got paid any of the Parking Fees paid by Tesla Drivers to the garage for the privilege of using these Superchargers. Let is focus our speculation on this issue.

For me, I would think that Tesla had to agree to pay a monthly fee to the garage to be able to use the garage for locating the Supercharger in this location. This is why I thought that each of our Tesla's Nav would give us the code to enter the garage without paying a fee, such as the "Monthly" users.

• Helpful
They actually lose money now on superchargers. That a pretty tough business model to make money on. The superchargers are a way to help relieve the publics fear of range issues for Tesla EV's.

Yup, this. Superchargers only make money in so far as they cause EV buyers to buy Tesla rather than from a lower cost competitor who does not have a charging network.

The estimated cost for installing a Supercharger is $100-$200k. They clearly have to pay for electricity in most places. They clearly have to pay for upkeep of these sites. In some places they probably have to pay for parking spaces. At this point the vast majority of Teslas have free Supercharging. Looking at the current Supercharging fees and considering all the fact mentioned above, it's not hard to conclude that Tesla is not making money on Superchargers.

That may or may not change in the future. But as of now, definitely not.

Tesla has said in the overall picture, the cost for Superchargers is small. It is a very strong marketing tool and selling point for their cars. Money well spent.

Reactions: pilotSteve and KJD