Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to make sure my new Tesla account works?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging slows as the battery gets more full.

You will likely never see 120kw on a 2013 S60. Max these days is probably like ~90kw and that’s with a fully warm battery and under 20% state of charge.

Charge speed is highly dependent on battery temp and state of charge. 34kw indicates a relatively cold battery and higher state of charge.
Don't know battery temperature but it was 80° outside and I had driven 40 miles before charging the half full battery.

Don't know battery temperature but it was 80° outside and I had driven 40 miles before charging the half full battery.
If you navigate to the supercharger the car will precondition (heat) the battery for max charging performance.

But most importantly, I suggest you temper your expectations - you bought the oldest, lowest range, slowest charging Model S that exists. May well be a great car for you for a long time - but you should familiarize yourself with the limitations and realities of an old EV.

If you navigate to the supercharger the car will precondition (heat) the battery for max charging performance.

But most importantly, I suggest you temper your expectations - you bought the oldest, lowest range, slowest charging Model S that exists. May well be a great car for you for a long time - but you should familiarize yourself with the limitations and realities of an old EV.
It's better than the LEAF I sold.

@atikovi It really does come down to this. That S60 can be a pretty good car if you got a good deal on it, and certainly a step up from a LEAF, but Supercharging is not going to be a strong suit of a Tesla that is that old and with that small a battery.

To help get a picture of this, it's good to know about the tapering curve of how batteries charge. Batteries can't tolerate getting blasted with full power all the way up to full. It has this long gradual reduction to keep it in a safe area of charging. I have an old 2014 S85, and these had a very predictable, almost linear, tapering curve. The "rule of thumb" we used to use was that if you add the state of charge in % and the charging power in kW, that would equal about 120-ish. Some years later, Tesla reduced it some, for potential safety issues or something, so it's now more around 110. I can still get about there, where I see a little over 100 kW from Superchargers when I travel and get there at a fairly low %.

But your S60 is a smaller battery. So the rule of thumb factor will be lower, and % + kW will probably be around 80 to 90 or so? From the screen shot, I see that it looks a bit over half full, so maybe 55% + 34 kW = 89? That looks about on target.

Here is the car with a charging problem. Any insight from this.
IMG_20240528_104652317_HDR.jpg