Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Tesla tell users what they change when downloading?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two new behaviours - phone related
1) I used to be able to hop in the car, put foot on brake a flip the RH stock lever into reverse ,and go.
Now about a month ago, when I do it, nothing happens, and I have to move the lever again and the second time it will go into gear.
Is this new logic or what?

2) starting last week, my phone will not allow the car to start, it wants the keycard. This is annoying.
I want this fixed, any thoughts?
Tom

For #2, in the app under the Security & Drivers section does if show "<phone name> - Connected"? If not, it may be some misconfiguration with the phone app. Is bluetooth on? Is the app running in the background? Force closing it stops the key from working. You could trying deleting and reinstalling the app.

I had a problem with keycard at one point and couldn’t get it to work. I put in a service request. They remotely determined that there was a software mismatch of some sort, and pushed an update to my car which fixed the problem.

WRT #1, I used to have occasional problems putting the car into Drive on the first activation of the control stalk when I get in. Not sure if it was because I didn't have my foot firmly on the brake, or not have my seat belt fully buckled up (which AFAIK, shouldn't be a problem). I've since slowed down my actions of sitting down, closing door, putting on the seat belt and then putting my foot on the brake and shifting into Drive. I'm currently on 2020.12.3.2.

For #2, maybe try deleting your phone from the car and then re-pair it?

Oh, and as far as your thread title goes, yes Tesla does release Release Notes with each Software Update. But sometimes they are woefully brief in their descriptions. I assume that many bugs are fixed under the umbrella of "Bug Fixes". You can view them in your car (Software section) or here:

Last edited:
Reactions: Thp3
not have my seat belt fully buckled up (which AFAIK, shouldn't be a problem)
Seatbelt is not necessary to put the car into gear (but highly recommended 😉).

Yeah, regarding your title "Does Tesla tell users what they change when downloading?"... if I'm being pedantic, the answer is NO. They only tell you after you've installed the update, not while downloading.

They also leave things out, group things under "minor fixes and improvements", and push subsequent updates using the *exact same* release notes a few days later - presumably with bug fixes.

Reactions: rpiotro
When you first get in the car and decompress the brake, the car does a self test of the various systems, as indicated by all the icons on the left edge of the screen showing up and disappearing one by one. This test usually takes around one second. If you lift the stalk while it's still doing the test, the gear shift will not take. So, give it a sec between you decompress the brake and lift the stalk, and you should only need one lift to get in gear.

I find that I need to wait for my profile to load and complete before I can shift it. Makes sense. You don't wont things moving around while you are driving.
Or, is it just a coincidence that is is simply enough time has gone by that it is ready? I believe the former.
Agreed. We use the PIN-to-drive feature. I often flick it into R or D as soon as I'm done with the PIN and it ignores me. But the profile doesn't change until the PIN is entered, and then takes a second or two for things to move. So, yeah, it makes sense.