Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does the Y reduce the speed when corner is approached too fast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max_G

Everything needs to be defined :)
Sep 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
I currently drive a Mercedes S350, but am considering buying a Model Y once it hits Australian shores. It reduces the speed if it senses the corner speed is too high for the current drive mode (say comfort). For example: the cruise is set to 100 km/hour. The corner is comfortably taken at 95. The car reduces the speed to 95. This is most likely based on G-force from accelerometers the car has. Does the model Y have this capability?

It does. Not sure how it works, but it slows down before it reaches a tight corner, so it's probably based on map data rather than an accelerometer.

And it is conservative in its judgment of how fast you can take a curve. I override with the accelerator on a regular basis and the auto steering has no trouble taking the curve... it is just the TACC being overly cautious.

Keith

In my experience it bases the speed on how far the steering wheel is turned. When using autopilot, I haven’t noticed mine reducing speed as it comes up to a curve per se, more dropping the speed in response to the curve, if that makes sense.

In the states there will often be advisory speed limit signs when approaching a curve. These are a different color are typically fairly conservative and aren’t mandatory, but if you’re driving 60 MPH (100 km/h) and approach a curve with a sign advising 25 MPH (40 km/h) then you know you need to slow down to at least 35 or so, slower if it‘s slippery or you have a heavy load. The Tesla seems to completely ignore these signs, necessitating fairly aggressive braking once it hits the curve.

In my experience it bases the speed on how far the steering wheel is turned. When using autopilot, I haven’t noticed mine reducing speed as it comes up to a curve per se, more dropping the speed in response to the curve, if that makes sense.

In the states there will often be advisory speed limit signs when approaching a curve. These are a different color are typically fairly conservative and aren’t mandatory, but if you’re driving 60 MPH (100 km/h) and approach a curve with a sign advising 25 MPH (40 km/h) then you know you need to slow down to at least 35 or so, slower if it‘s slippery or you have a heavy load. The Tesla seems to completely ignore these signs, necessitating fairly aggressive braking once it hits the curve.
I think it is more based on visual. As it sees the curve approaching it slows down when it the curve is lost in it's 'line of sight.' I do wish it would use the advisory signs as a reference for speed. It takes sharp curves a little too fast for me. I haven't ran across too many curves that it hasn't been able to handle.

I think it is more based on visual. As it sees the curve approaching it slows down when it the curve is lost in it's 'line of sight.' I do wish it would use the advisory signs as a reference for speed. It takes sharp curves a little too fast for me. I haven't ran across too many curves that it hasn't been able to handle.
I wish it would use the "speed limit change ahead" signs (speed limit with an arrow on top). If I am doing 50 in a 45 and I am driving manually, when I see a "speed limit ahead 35" sign I don't continue driving at 50 mph until I get to the 35 mph zone, I slow down to 45 when I get to the "35 ahead" sign, and slow down to 40 mph when I get to the actual 35 mph zone sign. If you let the TACC handle this on it's own, you pass into the new speed limit zone doing 15 mph over the limit... If a cop happens to be there, that is an instant ticket without a chance of talking your way out of it in the local towns around me.

Keith

From the manual:
E9B689B5-9F68-4480-BE19-3387E1D55728.png