Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this CPO Model S Have AP Capability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MD500_Pilot

I fly because it releases my mind.....
Supporting Member
Back to my friend who is looking at a CPO car. It is a Model S85 manufactured in 9/2014 and the VIN is P529xx

It has 6 ultrasonic sensors on the rear bumper, six on the front bumper, the little square below the front license plate and the camera in the windshield.

The listing does not show or list Autopilot as a feature on the car and the person he talked to told him that it did not have AP but could not tell him if it was equipped for AP and it was just not activated or if did not have the correct hardware.

Before he buys it, he would like to know if he can just pay to have the AP activated if the car has the correct hardware for AP1.

Any way to definitely tell if the car has AP by vin or some other method?

Thanks!!

9/14 is right when they introduced AP1. It was a stealth introduction with some folks taking delivery of the cars even before the feature was announced. Having the radar and the camera is a good indication that the car does have it, however its quite possible that the cutover wasn't perfect and some cars were produced missing some components of the system. Since nobody paid for it in the early cars they had no obligation to deliver the complete system. I've not heard of any cars where this is the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are some out there. If its got the AP hardware from that timeframe it will be activated though, so if Tesla is saying it doesn't have it, I wouldn't expect that they can activate it.

As long as it has a camera in the windshield and a radar in the lower grill it has autopilot
MAg8Afx.jpg

Well....so there is no real way to know sans buying the car and rolling the dice...?

I would depend on the listing.

It should list something like AP1 hardware capable.

Tesla policy might change so it might have AP1 hardware but its absence on the listing and together with the verbal answer from Tesla staff might indicate that Tesla is in no mood to activate AP1 any longer.