Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does this work? Plugging the Tesla Charger into 1772?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this on the floor and wondering if this work or not?

Attachments

• D9233993-57CD-4957-9035-46BEE9E5D167.jpeg
    D9233993-57CD-4957-9035-46BEE9E5D167.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 137
If could technically work, but it's more than just a physical adapter. There needs to be a pilot current for the J1772 station to provide power. There is no power on a J1772 plug without a pilot current (from the car). That's part of the safety features so people randomly playing with these plugs don't get electrocuted. Whoever made this knew how to direct the pilot current from the back back to the other side of the UMC. But again, why? The J1772 adapter works perfectly and is so much smaller. Maybe this was just prank?

It appears that this individual has plugged their UMC (or corded mobile connector) with some unknown plug into some random socket, in this case J1772. It will not work for 2 reasons:
a) because the J1772 socket will not make contact with the prongs on the UMC plug
b) because the UMC does not implement the J1772 standard on its wall plug INPUT side

You can see that it is not really making contact, but it is possible that they are held together by tension, being jammed together.

Reactions: Rocky_H
This can't work. It is trying to connect serially through one EVSE through another EVSE into the car. They can't both manage the charging communication.
Well, you could get it to work with a fairly modest adapter that uses a switch, a diode, and a couple of resistors to pull the J1772 pilot signal down in a way that mimics a car doing so. It would totally ignore the J1772 amperage limit, of course. I've heard of this being done to run non-EV stuff off of a J1772. In particular, there was a motorhome that was seemingly permanently leaching off a free charger at a park and ride at one point. I have no clue how they dealt with not having a neutral.

However, this just looks like someone shoved their Gen1 UMC plug into a J1772 for a picture.